PC Review

How to re-install RDC / terminal services

NT

6th Oct 2006
I do not want to re-install the RDC client...

I want to re-install / re-initiate the the software (terminal services?) on the machine that I am trying to connect to (an XP Pro machine).

Is there a way of doing this / re-intialising the registry entries, etc without having to re-install XP from scratch? Or can XP be repaired so that it will fix such problems.

My reason for asking is the problem I am having connecting to the XP Pro machine from either of my 2 laptops. See my post:

Re: Remote Desktop Connection - Fatal Error (Error Code: 5)
Thanks for any help,

Neil.

Sooner Al [MVP]

6th Oct 2006
Here are some options...

1. As an administrator re-register Remote Desktop using the command that follows. Reboot the PC after doing
this...

regsvr32 remotepg.dll

2. Otherwise do a repair install of Windows XP. Note the warnings on the page.

http://michaelstevenstech.com/XPrepairinstall.htm

--

Al Jarvi (MS-MVP Windows Networking)

Please post *ALL* questions and replies to the news group for the
mutual benefit of all of us...
The MS-MVP Program - http://mvp.support.microsoft.com
This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties, and confers no
rights...

"NT" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message news:%(E-Mail Removed)...

I want to re-install / re-initiate the the software (terminal services?) on the machine that I am trying to connect to (an XP Pro machine).

Is there a way of doing this / re-intialising the registry entries, etc without having to re-install XP from scratch? Or can XP be repaired so that it will fix such problems.

My reason for asking is the problem I am having connecting to the XP Pro machine from either of my 2 laptops. See my post:

Thanks for any help,

Neil.

NT

6th Oct 2006
Al,

Thanks for the reply:

Tried 1 below (it executed the command ok). After rebooting, I still getting the same error I had previously when I try to connect to the PC with RDC. Repair installing windows could be next option but is a major hassle. Is there really no one who has had or can diagnose the 'Fatal Error: Error Code 5' error message I get?

What else can I check before I repair install windows - any Registy entries worth looking at? I have 3 XP Pro machines (2 of which work perfectly with RDC connecting to them) so if I knew which entries in the Registry to look at I could look for differences between them. Any file versions to check? Any way to eliminate my graphics card as the problem?

Neil.
"Sooner Al [MVP]" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message news:(E-Mail Removed)...
Here are some options...

1. As an administrator re-register Remote Desktop using the command that follows. Reboot the PC after doing
this...

regsvr32 remotepg.dll

--

rights...

Thanks for any help,

Neil.

Sooner Al [MVP]

6th Oct 2006
The only way to eliminate your graphics card is to make sure your running the latest drivers or simply replace the card.

You might try (or look at) the sfc /scannow command. I suggest going to Help and Support and searching on sfc to get the exact command syntax and other information. Beyond that I think your last recourse is a repair install. Backup any critical data just in case. Personally I have never had a problem losing anything after doing the repair install on my PCs but as always YMMV...

Good luck...

--

rights...

"NT" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message news:(E-Mail Removed)...
Al,

Thanks for the reply:

Tried 1 below (it executed the command ok). After rebooting, I still getting the same error I had previously when I try to connect to the PC with RDC. Repair installing windows could be next option but is a major hassle. Is there really no one who has had or can diagnose the 'Fatal Error: Error Code 5' error message I get?

What else can I check before I repair install windows - any Registy entries worth looking at? I have 3 XP Pro machines (2 of which work perfectly with RDC connecting to them) so if I knew which entries in the Registry to look at I could look for differences between them. Any file versions to check? Any way to eliminate my graphics card as the problem?

Neil.
"Sooner Al [MVP]" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message news:(E-Mail Removed)...
Here are some options...

this...

regsvr32 remotepg.dll

--

rights...

Thanks for any help,

Neil.

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: