How to re-install RDC / terminal services

NT

      6th Oct 2006
I do not want to re-install the RDC client...

I want to re-install / re-initiate the the software (terminal services?) on the machine that I am trying to connect to (an XP Pro machine).

Is there a way of doing this / re-intialising the registry entries, etc without having to re-install XP from scratch? Or can XP be repaired so that it will fix such problems.

My reason for asking is the problem I am having connecting to the XP Pro machine from either of my 2 laptops. See my post:

Re: Remote Desktop Connection - Fatal Error (Error Code: 5)
Thanks for any help,

Neil.

Sooner Al [MVP]

      6th Oct 2006
Here are some options...

1. As an administrator re-register Remote Desktop using the command that follows. Reboot the PC after doing
this...

regsvr32 remotepg.dll

2. Otherwise do a repair install of Windows XP. Note the warnings on the page.

Al Jarvi (MS-MVP Windows Networking)

mutual benefit of all of us...
rights...

"NT" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message news:%(E-Mail Removed)...
I do not want to re-install the RDC client...

I want to re-install / re-initiate the the software (terminal services?) on the machine that I am trying to connect to (an XP Pro machine).

Is there a way of doing this / re-intialising the registry entries, etc without having to re-install XP from scratch? Or can XP be repaired so that it will fix such problems.

My reason for asking is the problem I am having connecting to the XP Pro machine from either of my 2 laptops. See my post:

Re: Remote Desktop Connection - Fatal Error (Error Code: 5)
Thanks for any help,

Neil.

NT

      6th Oct 2006
Al,

Thanks for the reply:

Tried 1 below (it executed the command ok). After rebooting, I still getting the same error I had previously when I try to connect to the PC with RDC. Repair installing windows could be next option but is a major hassle. Is there really no one who has had or can diagnose the 'Fatal Error: Error Code 5' error message I get?

What else can I check before I repair install windows - any Registy entries worth looking at? I have 3 XP Pro machines (2 of which work perfectly with RDC connecting to them) so if I knew which entries in the Registry to look at I could look for differences between them. Any file versions to check? Any way to eliminate my graphics card as the problem?

Neil.
"Sooner Al [MVP]" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message news:(E-Mail Removed)...
[...]

The only way to eliminate your graphics card is to make sure your running the latest drivers or simply replace the card.

You might try (or look at) the sfc /scannow command. I suggest going to Help and Support and searching on sfc to get the exact command syntax and other information. Beyond that I think your last recourse is a repair install. Backup any critical data just in case. Personally I have never had a problem losing anything after doing the repair install on my PCs but as always YMMV...

Good luck...