Re: HP Pavillion a712n desktop problem

Paul

      9th Dec 2011
Rboats wrote:
> How to remove on/off button and troubleshoot or replace. Currently it
> sticks when pushed in, it would sometimes pop back to regular "on"
> postion and power up and process..now it will power up but won't
> processs, sometimes get the error screen that that starts the countdown
> to start in normal mode but after countdown to zero..nothing happens,,
> I'm not a comp wiz but a all around DIY'er with everything else so now
> it's computer time. Just don't want to destroy any components while
> trouble shooting. Think I just need to replace On/OFF button. Any help
> greatly appreciated. Thanks,Randy

The front panel of your computer, will have four or five twisted pair
wire things, coming from the panel to the motherboard "PANEL" header.

On my computer, the wiring looks like this. Separate wire pairs,
and much easier to deal with when maintenance is required.

http://imgs.inkfrog.com/pix/sceusa/CASE_FRONT_wires.jpg

What you'd notice, if that was the case, is that the "RESET" and
"POWER" switch connectors, are the same shape, and are 1x2 connectors.
Both the RESET and POWER switches are "momentary contact" type.

And that means, you can unplug the "POWER" one, unplug the "RESET" one,
and push the "RESET" one into place, where the "POWER" one used to be.
Then, when using the front panel controls on the computer, the tiny
RESET button performs the power on/off function. You can forget about
the reset function, as it is optional for the moment. That's the
quickest way to get the computer running again, if the POWER
button itself is busted.

As the other respondent "rb" says, a momentary contact switch type
is what you want. The fun part, is getting it connected (if you want
to replace the button itself).

*******

On things like pre-built computers, instead of individual wire
pairs, you may notice a "monolithic block", like a 2x4 or a 2x5
or the like, which slides as one unit, onto the motherboard
PANEL connector. That's a little less convenient to deal with.
They do them that way, to speed up the manual assembly procedure
when constructing the computer at the factory.

To change the wiring in the polyester black shell, you can
lift a tab on the side of the block, to release the pin and
allow it to slide out. This only works, if the polyester shell
uses tabs of that type. In this case, you'd move the RESET pair
of wires, into the position the POWER pair used to take. Total
of four tab manipulations, two to release the POWER wires,
two to release the RESET wires, and then push the RESET wires
into the POWER holes. Front panel switches are not polarized,
so on a wire pair, it doesn't matter which lead goes in which
hole of the pair. (LEDs on that connector, *are* polarized, and
you have to be more careful if rewiring LED indicators in the
block.)

http://www.frontx.com/head_con.html

The "lifting of tabs" thing is only required, if the PANEL wiring
assembly is one monolithic block and the wire pairs are
not separable. If your computer actually has individual 1x2
connectors, the switching of the wiring will go much faster.

*******

You can find sellers on Ebay (likely in China), who will sell
a wire assembly and switch, ready to use.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/PC-Case-Fron...item3a6a4d2b34

That would work, if you had the individual wire pairs kind of
computer, as you could then install a new switch, and plug the
1x2 connector onto the appropriate pair of pins on the PANEL
header.

Radioshack isn't likely to carry an exact assembly like that,
but a local computer store may have them. I have several
computer recyclers in town, and that would be another place
to look for a reasonably priced solution. You could even bring
in the switch in your current case, for a visual match of
dimensions (better chance it will fit).

I leave the buttons hanging down from my current case. They're
not in the holes in the front panel. That makes it easier for me
to remove the front panel to replace optical drives and the like.
My LEDs are actually mounted in the metal frame of the computer,
so when the panel comes off, there are only "light pipes" in the
plastic, to couple the light from the LED, into the front panel
indicators. That way, my panel has no wires at all on it any more.
But I do have an unsightly power and reset switch, hanging down
from the sides of the computer :-) For that quality, ghetto look :-)

It could be, that by easing the switch out of the panel,
and leaving it hanging down, the switch won't bind and will
work smoother. You never know...

Paul

philo

      9th Dec 2011
On 12/08/2011 05:36 PM, Paul wrote:
> [...]

> to look for a reasonably priced solution. You could even bring
> in the switch in your current case, for a visual match of
> dimensions (better chance it will fit).
>
> I leave the buttons hanging down from my current case. They're
> not in the holes in the front panel. That makes it easier for me
> to remove the front panel to replace optical drives and the like.
> My LEDs are actually mounted in the metal frame of the computer,
> so when the panel comes off, there are only "light pipes" in the
> plastic, to couple the light from the LED, into the front panel
> indicators. That way, my panel has no wires at all on it any more.
> But I do have an unsightly power and reset switch, hanging down
> from the sides of the computer :-) For that quality, ghetto look :-)
>
> It could be, that by easing the switch out of the panel,
> and leaving it hanging down, the switch won't bind and will

Good answer

the reset button is not a good idea anyway

if the machine is having problems,
if the power button is depressed the system should go into a safe shut
down...

and if it's totally locked up
just killing the ac should do the trick