Re: HP Compaq TC4200 Tablet PC

Paul

      4th Aug 2010
Lil' Abner wrote:
> This laptop was purchased by a student who is starting college this fall
> from a dealer who buys them off lease programs, wipes them clean and
> reinstalls. It has XP Pro SP3 and some basic software installed. Actually
> the kid who bought it was not aware that it was a notebook until he pushed
> a button and a "pen" popped out. So from there we discover that you can
> turn the screen around and fold it down.
> But the pen doesn't work. I consulted my doctor who uses a similar notebook
> in his practice. He told me that the mouse (if you are using one) has to be
> disconnected or it won't work. But it doesn't.
> I've been to the HP site and looked for drivers, manuals, whatever. There's
> drivers (pasted)......
> Driver - Graphics
> Driver - Keyboard, Mouse and Input Devices
> Driver - Modem
> Driver - Network
> Driver - Storage
> Operating System - Enhancements and QFEs
> Software - Solutions
> None of them appear to be related to the pen part. The only manual I could
> find was a quick start which made no mention of this feature.
> So I took it back to the dealer he bought it from for some direction. It
> turns out that *HE* didn't realize it was a tablet PC either. He did diddle
> with it for a half hour or so but never figured it out. Then he stated that
> he didn't actually sell it to be a tablet PC and told me that I would have
> to go through Compaq (pay) support to solve the issue.
> He used an OEM copy of Windows and there is no HP or Compaq related help
> installed.
> I'm guessing that this is a driver related issue. Has anyone here had any
> experience with these critters? What do I do next?

http://hothardware.com/Reviews/HPCom...let-PC/?page=6

"Like other Tablet PCs, the TC4200 Tablet relies on
Microsoft Windows XP Tablet PC Edition OS."

There is a driver page here. I selected "Microsoft Windows XP Tablet PC Edition"
as the OS I wanted drivers for.

http://h20000.www2.hp.com/bizsupport...OID=1059#11318

By doing that, I can see a "Wacom digitizer driver".

If, on the other hand, I select any other WinXP OS and check
for drivers, the Wacom is not offered.

The implication, is there is a tie-in, between the Tablet PC OS and
the digitizer driver that intercepts writing to the display.

You could always install the driver. Maybe it'll show up in
Device Manager. But then, you'll need a means to test it.
Perhaps some graphics program will accept input from the
digitizer ? For other functions, you'd likely need the
Tablet OS, and who knows whether you can buy an OEM or
Retail CD of that or not.

"Wacom Installer" 2 Feb 2007

ftp://ftp.hp.com/pub/softpaq/sp34501-35000/sp34764.exe

Paul

Paul

      5th Aug 2010
Lil' Abner wrote:
> "Lil' Abner" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in
>
>> Paul <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in
>> news:i3c4qu$18g$(E-Mail Removed)-september.org:

>>> http://hothardware.com/Reviews/HPCom...let-PC/?page=6
>>>
>>> "Like other Tablet PCs, the TC4200 Tablet relies on
>>> Microsoft Windows XP Tablet PC Edition OS."
>>>
>>> There is a driver page here. I selected "Microsoft Windows XP Tablet
>>> PC Edition" as the OS I wanted drivers for.
>>>
>>> http://h20000.www2.hp.com/bizsupport...eIndex.jsp?lan
>>> =en&cc=us&prodNameId=457949&prodTypeId=321957&prodSeriesId=457948&swLa
>>> n g=8&taskId=135&swEnvOID=1059#11318
>>>
>>> By doing that, I can see a "Wacom digitizer driver".
>>>
>>> If, on the other hand, I select any other WinXP OS and check
>>> for drivers, the Wacom is not offered.
>>>
>>> The implication, is there is a tie-in, between the Tablet PC OS and
>>> the digitizer driver that intercepts writing to the display.
>>>
>>> You could always install the driver. Maybe it'll show up in
>>> Device Manager. But then, you'll need a means to test it.
>>> Perhaps some graphics program will accept input from the
>>> digitizer ? For other functions, you'd likely need the
>>> Tablet OS, and who knows whether you can buy an OEM or
>>> Retail CD of that or not.
>>>
>>> "Wacom Installer" 2 Feb 2007
>>>
>>> ftp://ftp.hp.com/pub/softpaq/sp34501-35000/sp34764.exe

>> OK. Thanks for all that. I really haven't had any experience with
>> tablet PC's. My doctor gave me a little demo and the pen works right
>> from the desktop. He double-tapped Internet Explorer with the pen and
>> it came right up. He could do anything with the pen that you can do
>> with the mouse. Of course he has special software for all his medical
>> stuff. I will download that driver and see what happens later this
>> evening. I doubt if there's much chance the guy who originally fixed
>> it up would redo it with the correct OS. He told me he has some kind
>> of license that allows him to install Windows on multiple computers
>> and assured me the XP Pro was legal (that kind of made me wonder). My
>> guess is that the Tablet version probably isn't available to him.
>> Again, thanks, and I'll keep you posted...

> OK. I downloaded the driver and it installed OK but doesn't show up in
> Device Manager. However, when I went to Device Manager there were two
> Other Devices, HP Integrated Bluetooth Module, and UnKnown Device. The
> Hardware Wizard found the drivers for the bluetooth device on the
> internet. I have no idea what the Other Device is, and the Wizard doesn't
> find anything for that.
> I think I'm probably going to be out of luck without Microsoft Windows XP
> Tablet PC Edition. But I'll see if I can contact HP and inquire more
> about it. It'd be nice if I could get a restore CD for it for not too
> much money.

There are many tricks people can play with licenses.

Using a restore CD is an option. In some cases, they only carry those
for the period during which the machine still has warranty left on it.
So if the machine had a three year warranty, and it was last shipped four
years ago, chances are you can't buy a restore CD from the source.

There might still be sources of restore CDs on the web.

I tried the HP Parts Store, but it didn't list a CD for it at all.
Which is a bit weird. On desktops, you might see the CD listed
as a part, so at least you'd have a part number for the CD you need.

http://partsurfer.hp.com/search.aspx

*******

If you use Device Manager, and use "View by Connection", sometimes
you can get some idea from that, where the device is coming from.
For example, the other day, I had a "phantom" ACPI entry, and by
using Devices by Connection, and also using a copy of Everest,
I was able to track down what sort of device it was. It turned out
to be a hot key launcher (which presumably became enabled, when
I installed some other software). I still don't have a driver for
it (because I don't know what software uses that feature), but at
least I know what it is. It's not "unknown" any more.

It is too bad the OS can't just print the Plug and Play numbers
for you to see, as then you'd get a more direct answer. You could
then Google the number and get an answer. I mean, the new hardware
wizard wouldn't get that far, unless it had *some* information
about the hardware.

Paul

GMAN

      5th Aug 2010
In article <Xns9DCACED845CC6butter@wefb973cbe498>, "Lil' Abner" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
> [...]

>> ftp://ftp.hp.com/pub/softpaq/sp34501-35000/sp34764.exe

>OK. Thanks for all that. I really haven't had any experience with tablet
>PC's. My doctor gave me a little demo and the pen works right from the
>desktop. He double-tapped Internet Explorer with the pen and it came
>right up. He could do anything with the pen that you can do with the
>mouse. Of course he has special software for all his medical stuff. I
>will download that driver and see what happens later this evening. I
>doubt if there's much chance the guy who originally fixed it up would
>redo it with the correct OS. He told me he has some kind of license that
>allows him to install Windows on multiple computers and assured me the XP
>Pro was legal (that kind of made me wonder). My guess is that the Tablet
>version probably isn't available to him.
>Again, thanks, and I'll keep you posted...

For $20 , you can get the actual restore disk from HP!!!!!

Paul

      6th Aug 2010
Lil' Abner wrote:
> (E-Mail Removed) (GMAN) wrote in
> news:qiH6o.545252$(E-Mail Removed)1.easynews.com:
>
>> In article <Xns9DCACED845CC6butter@wefb973cbe498>, "Lil' Abner"
>> <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>>> Paul <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in
>>> news:i3c4qu$18g$(E-Mail Removed)-september.org:

>>> OK. Thanks for all that. I really haven't had any experience with
>>> tablet PC's. My doctor gave me a little demo and the pen works right
>> >from the desktop. He double-tapped Internet Explorer with the pen and
>>> it came right up. He could do anything with the pen that you can do
>>> with the mouse. Of course he has special software for all his medical
>>> stuff. I will download that driver and see what happens later this
>>> evening. I doubt if there's much chance the guy who originally fixed
>>> it up would redo it with the correct OS. He told me he has some kind
>>> of license that allows him to install Windows on multiple computers
>>> and assured me the XP Pro was legal (that kind of made me wonder). My
>>> guess is that the Tablet version probably isn't available to him.
>>> Again, thanks, and I'll keep you posted...
>>>

>> For $20 , you can get the actual restore disk from HP!!!!!

> I would gladly give that if I could figure out where! The HP site isn't
> all that user friendly to my notion. I did find a "parts" number which I
> will call first thing in the morning. Unless you can point me to wherever
> you found it.
>
> Thanks.

If you have an actual part number for the recovery CD, run it through a
search engine. There could be a third party, with one of those. It is
possible HP has some suppliers it uses, to handle the older CDs.

Paul

Paul

      12th Aug 2010
Li'l Abner wrote:

> The story has a happy ending. The new drive worked fine, Tablet Edition
> installed just fine from the restore DVD. And the pen thingy works as it
> should. I can see where it's going to take some getting used to!
> Thanks so much for your suggestions and following me through it!

Glad to have helped :-)

Paul