Re: Help Needed for CD Burner

Bob Willard

      19th Mar 2008
User wrote:

> Hi all. I'm running into problems with my CD-RW.
>
> Here's my specs:
>
> Athlon 900 MHZ
> 512M Ram
> Voodoo3 2k
> Sound Blaster Live!Value
> FIC mobo
> IBM 20 gig HDD (Primary C
> Maxtor 2gig HDD (Slave D
> Sony CD-ROM (Primary Secondary E
> Samsung SW-408B v.BS02 (F
> Windows XP Home SP2
>
> I know it's an old system but it's all I got.
>
> The problem I'm having is with the Samsung. Everytime I try to burn a disc
> in the middle of writing it reboots the system. Also in the middle of
> xfering files from the Samsung to the hard drive it reboots. I don't think
> the CD-RW is faulty because I recently reformatted and put Windows 98 (using
> EZ CD Creator 4) and it works flawlessly.
>
> Is there a way (updated driver perhaps?) that I can fix this? I really don't
> want to use Win98 as it's very flaky for me.
>
> Would appreciate any help anyone can provide as I've been trying to find a
> solution to this problem for awhile now!

Looking into my remote crystal ball, I see that the additional heat caused
by using the CD is causing your PC to overheat, triggering a reboot. If you
are comfortable opening the case, shutdown, then clean the fans and filters
and heatsinks, making sure you don't knock out any cables.

Might also be caused by the PS; either aging, or just not big enough.
--
Cheers, Bob