Re: HD Maximum size ?

Natéag

      21st Aug 2009
Disregard.

I now have a single partition, and this time there does not
seem to be any problem.

I hhope that is still true after a reboot.

"Natéag" <(E-Mail Removed)> a écrit dans le message de news:...
> What is the maximum size that can be installed on
> a computer with Vista 32-bit ?
>
> I had to partition my 1.0 TB drive before it was
> recognized by Vista. I will gladly delete that
> second partition if the whole HDD can be used
> with a single enlarged partition.
> Thank

R. C. White

      21st Aug 2009
Hi, Natéag.

Well, as usual, it depends. :^}

To quote a reply by Morgan.Che, MSFT, Moderator of the File Services and
Storage forum in TechNet:

<paste>
Based on my research, for NTFS "The maximum partition size is 2TB. NTFS
actually has an upper limit of 16 Exabyte (quintillion bytes, or 16 million
TB), but since current industry standard limits the Partition Tables to 2 to
the 32nd power sectors (with 512B sectors, that's 2 TB), the actual current
upper limit is 2 TB.

However, as for GPT partition, NTRS can support 256T.
</paste>

Since few of us are into GPT partitions, I'll assume you mean using NTFS on
the typical MBR HDD, so the practical answer to your question is 2 TB. So
your 1 GB partition should be fine.

Note that this is the maximum size of a PARTITION. A single HDD can have
multiple (at least 4) partitions, so the limit for a physical disk is many
(at least 8) TB, even within the limits imposed by Vista x86 and NTFS. And
a "drive" letter always refers to a single volume (primary partition or
logical drive in an extended partition), not to an entire HDD.

For anyone who really wants to pursue this subject further, this FAQ
pre-dates Vista and gets pretty technical, but it is still interesting - and
eye-opening:
Windows and GPT FAQ
http://www.microsoft.com/whdc/device...e/GPT_FAQ.mspx

The Help file in Vista's Disk Management also discusses much of this.

RC
--
R. C. White, CPA
San Marcos, TX

"Natéag" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:#(E-Mail Removed)...
> Disregard.
>
> I now have a single partition, and this time there does not
> seem to be any problem.
>
> I hhope that is still true after a reboot.
>

> "Natéag" <(E-Mail Removed)> a écrit dans le message de news:...
>> What is the maximum size that can be installed on
>> a computer with Vista 32-bit ?
>>
>> I had to partition my 1.0 TB drive before it was
>> recognized by Vista. I will gladly delete that
>> second partition if the whole HDD can be used
>> with a single enlarged partition.
>> Thank

dennis

      21st Aug 2009
R. C. White wrote:

> Note that this is the maximum size of a PARTITION. A single HDD can
> have multiple (at least 4) partitions, so the limit for a physical disk
> is many (at least 8) TB, even within the limits imposed by Vista x86 and
> NTFS.

The 2TiB limitation with MBR-partiting goes for the entire drive. The
partition offsets are absolute and only 32bits can be used.

R. C. White

      21st Aug 2009
Hi, Dennis.

Thanks for the correction.