Re: Excel not automatically updating cells

Gord Dibben

      6th Dec 2006
Erin

Tools>Options>Calculation.

Are you set to "manual"?

Change to "automatic".

Gord Dibben MS Excel MVP

On Tue, 5 Dec 2006 14:39:01 -0800, Erin <Erin @discussions.microsoft.com> wrote:

>I work with big excel files (almost 7MB), with most of the worksheets linking
>back and forth. I have discovered that sometimes when I change a cell on a
>worksheet, it does not automatically update the cells on the linked
>worksheets. The only way to do it is to go to each dependent cell
>individually to update, this is very time consuming. I have double checked
>that the automatical update is checked in the options. Has anyone
>experienced this and does anyone have a solution? Thanks.

Dave Peterson

      6th Dec 2006
Maybe resetting xl's calculation engine would help?

I'd try selecting all the sheets (so I only have to do this once).

Then select a single cell (so that all the cells are looked at in the next step)

Edit|replace
what: = (equal sign)
with: = (equal sign)
replace all

Then ungroup the sheets.

excel will see that you're changing formulas and reevaluate each of those
formulas--maybe it'll wake excel up???

--

Dave Peterson