Re: double clicking words

John McGhie [MVP - Word]

      4th Jul 2003
Dayo:

You were correct: the user needs to ensure he has Word>Preferences>Edit
"When selecting, automatically select entire word" turned ON to produce the
whole word behaviour, or OFF to produce the current behaviour.

Cheers

This responds to microsoft.public.mac.office.word on Thu, 03 Jul 2003
09:33:39 -0400, Dayo Mitchell <(E-Mail Removed)>:

> Cross-posting to microsoft.public.mac.office.word to get input from X
> people...
>
> Not familiar with X, but Prefs | Edit does have an option for "select entire
> word" in Word 2001. See if checking it helps you out?
>
> X (OS and Word) have a number of patches, have you installed them...I don't
> like Apple's mice, and if using Word that much, it may be worth getting a
> two-button (at least) mouse. Have you checked for this problem in programs
> other than Word?
>
> For future questions, you may want to go straight to the NGs:
>
> microsoft.public.mac.office
> microsoft.public.mac.office.word
>
> Which field a ton of questions re X.
>
> And all profs (I think) should be aware of the NG
>
> microsoft.public.word.formatting.longdocs
>
> And the site http://www.mvps.org/word
>
> Where there are many helpful techniques for formatting articles,
> manuscripts, etc, such as styles, outline view, templates and advanced use
> of Find and Replace.
>
> DM
>
> On 7/2/03 12:33 PM, in article 013a01c340b7$a0a7a500$(E-Mail Removed), "Mark
> Nornes" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>
> > I have had this problem ever since I upgraded to the Mac X version, but
> > am editing two book manuscripts and it's now driving me nuts.
> >
> > When I double click on a word to choose it, 50% of the time it starts
> > choosing only from the point of the click to the end of the word.
> >
> > In the same fashion, 50% of the time I try to drag over a set of words,
> > the selection starts at wherever the cursor starts (not backing up to the
> > beginning of that first word).
> >
> > A new problem is that I've begun to regularly use the thesaurus (a
> > wonderful tool!) by control clicking on a word. However, 50% of the
> > time it comes up "empty," forcing me to try again by positioning the
> > cursor precisely at the leading edge of the first letter of the word.
> >
> > I see no rhyme nor reason in this, as it seems to shift back and forth
> > randomly. I see no pattern, much as I've tried.
> >
> > It's driving me nuts, and my attempts to read help have come up with
> > no suggestions. My university support people are just as perplexed as I
> > am. Assuming it's a choice they've given us, I can't imagine why.
> >
> > Is it just me, or is this built into the software? How do I turn this off?
> >
> > Mark Nornes
> > Associate Professor
> > University of Michigan

Please post all comments to the newsgroup to maintain the thread.

John McGhie, Consultant Technical Writer
McGhie Information Engineering Pty Ltd
Sydney, Australia. GMT + 10 Hrs
+61 4 1209 1410, (E-Mail Removed)