Re: Documenting code in XML?

Jon Skeet [C# MVP]

      4th Aug 2004
Brett <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
> This is in the VB 2005 description:
>
> Visual Basic 2005 will introduce inline XML-documentation comments
> that will assist developers in creating well documented applications
> ready for deployment inside or outside the enterprise.
>
> Are there any examples of what this code would look like and how it
> could be extracted for the purposes expected by vb.net? Such as
> pulling out the documented code for use in a print form or knowledge
> base?

I would be very surprised if it were significantly different from the
XML documentation C# code can already produce. NDoc (ndoc.sf.net) is a
popular transformation tool for this XML documentation.

--
Jon Skeet - <(E-Mail Removed)>
http://www.pobox.com/~skeet

Jon Skeet [C# MVP]

      4th Aug 2004
Brett <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
> What if I'm using an IDE that doesn't support the features found in
> C#? Say for Macromedia Homesite, Cold Fusion Studio or anything else
> that doesn't actually process XML documentation like C#? I'd like to
> use the XML documentation in these scripting languages and IDEs but
> have to in such a way that they are left seperate from any processing
> specific to the application.

It's not C# itself which processes the generated XML - it's VS.NET. As
for whether other IDEs support that XML documentation - I really don't
know. Using NDoc you can create web pages or help files etc though.

--
Jon Skeet - <(E-Mail Removed)>
http://www.pobox.com/~skeet

=?Utf-8?B?QnJldHQ=?=

      4th Aug 2004
"Jon Skeet [C# MVP]" wrote:

> Brett <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
> > What if I'm using an IDE that doesn't support the features found in
> > C#? Say for Macromedia Homesite, Cold Fusion Studio or anything else
> > that doesn't actually process XML documentation like C#? I'd like to
> > use the XML documentation in these scripting languages and IDEs but
> > have to in such a way that they are left seperate from any processing
> > specific to the application.

> It's not C# itself which processes the generated XML - it's VS.NET. As
> for whether other IDEs support that XML documentation - I really don't
> know. Using NDoc you can create web pages or help files etc though.
>
> --
> Jon Skeet - <(E-Mail Removed)>
> http://www.pobox.com/~skeet
> If replying to the group, please do not mail me too

nDoc is .NET framework specific.

Jon Skeet [C# MVP]

      4th Aug 2004
Brett <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
> nDoc is .NET framework specific.

Yes, but it'll build documents you can read without .NET.

I think I'm missing what you're trying to get at - you started off
asking about .NET, and now you're after a documentation system which
isn't even .NET-specific?

--
Jon Skeet - <(E-Mail Removed)>
http://www.pobox.com/~skeet

Jon Skeet [C# MVP]

      4th Aug 2004
Brett <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
> That's correct. I wanted to make sure people were aware of what I was
> referring to. That feature exist with .NET. I'd like to extend it to
> a non .NET platform. I want the feature, just without the .NET.

I suggest you see if there's an open source IDE for the language you're
interested in then. Some other languages have similar things, of course
- Java has JavaDoc, for instance.

--
Jon Skeet - <(E-Mail Removed)>
http://www.pobox.com/~skeet