Re: Dell 4100

Paul

      18th Jan 2009
Rudy wrote:
> "Rudy" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:(E-Mail Removed)...
>> I'm trying to ressurect an old Dell 4100 for one of my wifes friends. It
>> came with ME on it and I installed 2000 Pro. Device manager is telling me
>> I am missing drivers for PCI device, PCI serial port and Video controller
>> (VGA compatible). I thought these drivers would be picked up from the win
>> 2000 disk but no luck. Can't find them on the Dell website either. At this
>> point I don't know where to look. It has an ATI rage 128 Pro video card
>> and I cannot find a driver that is compatible with that either. Any ideas?
>> Thanks.
>>
>> Rudy
>>
>> Thanks for your help. The flagged PCI device went away after I installed
>> the inf files. The PCI serial port is still flagged as is the VGA
>> controler. I tried all of the drivers offered by ATI for the rage 128 Pro
>> but they all say the hardware is incompatible. Dell offers the ati driver
>> for the 4100 but it is an xp version not 2000. I'll keep trying.

> Rudy

I opened the Dell RADXPA00.EXE file with 7-Zip, then looked at the atiixpag.inf
file with Notepad, and this is the device identification.

"Radeon DDR" = ati2mtag_default, PCI\VEN_1002&DEV_5144&SUBSYS_108A1002

If I look that up here, the DEV matches the Radeon 7000 section ???
It looks like the 7000 is later vintage than Rage.

http://pciids.sourceforge.net/pci.ids

Perhaps you should get a copy of Everest Free, go to Devices:PCI and
check the entry there as to what the video card is. Everest is a
tool that can help identify hardware. (The latest version is
commercial and sold by Lavalys.com .)

http://majorgeeks.com/download4181.html

Everest may have an ID in its built-in database, which will
eliminate the mystery immediately. For example, this is
my ATI 9800Pro. Converting to more standard notation, the
Everest info gives VEN=1002 DEV=4E68 Subsys=00031002

Device Description ATI Radeon 9800 Pro
Device ID 1002-4E68
Subsystem ID 1002-0003

The PCI serial could be related to modem. I vaguely
remember some people discussing a modem driver as
a way to make a PCI serial go away.

Paul