Re: Deleting a file takes a very long time

Mark Zbikowski \(MSFT\)

      11th Jul 2003
Is the file very large or very fragmented or compressed?

Since NTFS needs to perform write-ahead logging when
modifying it's metadata and since the NTFS log is of fixed
size, it is possible for a delete operation on a file with a
huge number of extents to exceed the capacity of the log.

To guarantee forward progress, NTFS will free batches
of extents at a time in separate transactions. Once you
get into this mode, things will slow down.

If this is NOT your case, then you might want to examine
what other software is running on your machine that might
be monitoring/logging file system changes. Things like
file indexers (often part of IDE's) or antivirus apps.

You could use pmon (reskit) or taskmgr to watch which
processes do a bunch of I/O or take a bunch of CPU
time during your deletions.

no rights.

news:0aaa01c347b9$bdb03730$(E-Mail Removed)...