Re: how to create a dialog box?

Jay B. Harlow [MVP - Outlook]

      2nd Jun 2004
Ken,
Its going to be tough, as a Dialog Box by definition is a Form.

What exactly are you attempting to do? Maybe I or someone else will be able
to help you come up with something.

Hope this helps
Jay

"Ken" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> Hi All,
>
> How do you create a dialog box and add a list box and button into it

without using a form?

> cheers

=?Utf-8?B?S2Vu?=

      2nd Jun 2004
Hi Jay

I would like to create a dll file using vb, but the dll file is going to run by some other application as a script type of thing. I don't think it supports Form.show. whenever i call this function, it generates an error. A support guy told me that i can create a dialog box but not a form, and it is supported.

Cheers

Jay B. Harlow [MVP - Outlook]

      2nd Jun 2004
Ken,
I have put form's in DLLs and have displayed them from VB.NET programs.

What is the error that you are receiving. Are you calling it from VB.NET or
a COM language?

> A support guy told me that i can create a dialog box but not a form, and

it is supported.
Was the "support guy" talking VB.NET? I would check back with the "support
guy" to get a working example of what he is talking about, the only clean
way I know of in VB.NET to create a dialog box is to create a Form.

Another method would be to define a Dialog RC and use the WIn32 Dialog APIs,
which really are not needed in .NET. Plus Dialog.rc is not really supported
in VB.NET, it might be easier to drop into C++ for that...

Hope this helps
Jay

"Ken" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> Hi Jay,
>
> I would like to create a dll file using vb, but the dll file is going to

run by some other application as a script type of thing. I don't think it
supports Form.show. whenever i call this function, it generates an error.
A support guy told me that i can create a dialog box but not a form, and it
is supported.

> Cheers

=?Utf-8?B?S2Vu?=

      2nd Jun 2004
Hi Jay

I am calling it from a COM language

Cheers

Jay B. Harlow [MVP - Outlook]

      2nd Jun 2004
Ken,
Ahh!!! There's the Rub! ;-)

Does Form.ShowDialog work, where Form.Show does not work? Remember that
Form.ShowDialog is normally used to display dialog boxes (modal forms) in
..NET where as Form.Show is normally used to show modeless forms.

Does the COM language have a message pump? (aka VB6 DoEvents)

I would expect that the COM language does not work as it either does not
have a message pump or it is not a compatible message pump (just as VB6 has
issues with the Office message pump). I would however expect Form.ShowDialog
to work with any COM language as ShowDialog has its own message pump.