Re: CPU replacement / upgrade options / RAID 0 - some questions on what's possible

mcheu

      16th Nov 2006

digikiwi wrote:
> I've tried a new processor but no joy so now I'm trying to replace the
> mobo. Unfortunately it has the exalted "line discontinued status" and
> is very hard to find.
>
> Are there any other options for recovering the data if I get a
> different motherboard? Maybe some software recovery solution?
>

> --
> digikiwi

I'm a bit confused by the question, did you encrypt the data in some
machine specific way? I was under the impression that if you swapped
out the motherboard with another that had RAID capability you could
configure the settings the same way and aside from having to reactivate
windows, and possibly update the motherboard drivers, you'd be good to
go.

Am I missing something here?

The motherboard you listed didn't appear all that special (aside from
self destructing) and the RAID controller. RAID capable controllers on
newer motherboards exist, and there are add-on PCI boards too. This
may turn out to be a blessing if you need an excuse to buy something
faster and newer, as there's nothing really limiting you in your
processor and motherboard choice anymore -- unless you've already
committed to the replacement CPU.

While a spontaneous death of motherboard and/or CPU may cause the hard
drive to get hosed too, it's pretty rare, and you've made no mention
before this that you had any reason to believe that's what happened.
Once you get your replacement parts, plug the old hard drive in, and
after you go through the usual ritual (including swearing a curse at
Microsoft), try the drives with the same configuration you had
originally. While RAID 0 configurations are a bit flakey, odds are,
the data's still intact. If you're worried about the data in the
future, backup everything reconfigure for non-RAID configuration. RAID
0 really isn't all that much faster with usage patterns typical of a
home machine.

Rod Speed

      17th Nov 2006
mcheu <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote
> digikiwi wrote

>> I've tried a new processor but no joy so now I'm
>> trying to replace the mobo. Unfortunately it has the
>> exalted "line discontinued status" and is very hard to find.

>> Are there any other options for recovering the data if I get a
>> different motherboard? Maybe some software recovery solution?

> I'm a bit confused by the question, did you encrypt the data in some
> machine specific way? I was under the impression that if you swapped
> out the motherboard with another that had RAID capability you could
> configure the settings the same way and aside from having to
> reactivate windows, and possibly update the motherboard drivers,
> you'd be good to go.

> Am I missing something here?

Yes, that you cant necessarily do that when RAID 0 is involved.

Essentially because all the RAID controllers
dont keep the array details the same way.

> The motherboard you listed didn't appear all that special (aside from
> self destructing) and the RAID controller. RAID capable controllers
> on newer motherboards exist, and there are add-on PCI boards too.
> This may turn out to be a blessing if you need an excuse to buy
> something faster and newer, as there's nothing really limiting you in
> your processor and motherboard choice anymore -- unless you've already
> committed to the replacement CPU.

> While a spontaneous death of motherboard and/or CPU may cause the
> hard drive to get hosed too, it's pretty rare, and you've made no mention
> before this that you had any reason to believe that's what happened.

That isnt the problem.

> Once you get your replacement parts, plug the old hard drive in, and
> after you go through the usual ritual (including swearing a curse at
> Microsoft), try the drives with the same configuration you had originally.

Wont work unless the RAID controller is close to the old one.

> While RAID 0 configurations are a bit
> flakey, odds are, the data's still intact.

Yes, but accessing it isnt necessarily that
easy when the RAID controller is replaced.

Rod Speed wrote:
> mcheu <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote

> Wont work unless the RAID controller is close to the old one.
>
> > While RAID 0 configurations are a bit
> > flakey, odds are, the data's still intact.

> Yes, but accessing it isnt necessarily that
> easy when the RAID controller is replaced.

Ah, my bad. I knew RAID 0 was a total PIA with little payoff, but I
didn't know it was quite that proprietary.

Rod Speed

      21st Nov 2006
digikiwi <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
> Yahoo, I'm back. Everything is intact. I managed to find an
> identical used motherboard at a computershop that had just upgraded
> their work machines.
> Now I've got that identical motherboard with the x2 4200+ chip and all
> this in a new case. I'm a happy chappy with a much faster machine.
>
> Once assembled all I had to do was enable the RAID for the two SATA
> drives and I booted off the old OS
>
> I think I found what caused the original corrosion. The computer had
> been running for about 12 months without the 12 volt connector on the
> motherboard being connected. Some doofus who didn't know what he was
> doing never connected that one. At least That's what I'm guessing I
> ahem I mean that person did wrong...
>
> Thank you all for your support. Sharing makes the world go round.

Thanks for the washup, too rare in my opinion.