Re: Connecting Brother to computer via WiFi

David H. Lipman

      6th Oct 2012
From: "Kurt Ullman" <(E-Mail Removed)>

> In article <(E-Mail Removed)>,
> "David H. Lipman" <DLipman~nospam~@Verizon.Net> wrote:
>
>> From: "Kurt Ullman" <(E-Mail Removed)>
>>
>>> I have a Brother MFC-J$10W that I want to connect to my MacbookPro
>>> running 10.6.8. The printer is already connected to the WiFi and I can
>>> print using WiFi on another computer. My MBP is also connected to the
>>> WiFi. The MBP can't seem to find the printer via the WiFi. System
>>> Preferences show that printer sharing is on, the printer is checked, and
>>> users says everyone can print. When I try to print the icon for the
>>> printer says the printer is off line. System Prefs says it is in use and
>>> the default printer
>>> All of the trouble shooting information leads me through how to put
>>> the Brother on the Wifi, but I couldn't find anything about hooking a
>>> new printer up through the established WiFi. This computer used to be
>>> set-up to run via UBS. The drivers are up to date.
>>> I am completely confused. Any suggestions?

>> Yes, you are.
>>
>> A computer does NOT connect to the printer through WiFi.
>>
>> The printer gets an IP address wirelessly from a WiFi enabled router or WiFi
>> Access Point. It then is a node on the LAN like any other computer on the
>> LAN.
>>
>> The computer prints to the IP address. The computer does not care if the
>> Printer is wired through Ethernet or wirelessly through WiFi.
>>
>> The FIRST thing to do is to is to setup the Brother to get an IP from the
>> (what I'll assume to be) WiFi enabled Router. Then KNOW the IP address
>> assigned to the printer. Install the Brother Printer Driver and if asked
>> for wether it is networked or physically connected indicate it is networked
>> and provide that IP address. (it has been a while sine i did it so I cvan't
>> remeber the exact flow of the Print Driver software installation)

> The Brother already communicates with another computer through the
> WiFi connection. Doesn't that mean that it already know the address?
> That the printer driver is already set-up or do I need to start from
> scratch with every new computer? The printer is thought to be offline by
> the new computer, even though it is okay for both my USB-connected
> computer and the other from the Wifi. Does that mean that the new
> computer can see it, just not communicate with it?

Yes, it does and thus you can use the BRAdmin utility to communicate and configure the
Brother Printer.

You should be able to use computer physically connected to the Brosther via USB and the
rest using TCP/IP.

Any new computers just need to be setup with the associated OS Printer Drivers using the
IP address other computers on the LAN are using the Brother with.

--
Dave
http://www.pctipp.ch/downloads/dl/35905.asp

David H. Lipman

      6th Oct 2012
From: "Kurt Ullman" <(E-Mail Removed)>

> In article <(E-Mail Removed)>,
> "David H. Lipman" <DLipman~nospam~@Verizon.Net> wrote:
>

>> Any new computers just need to be setup with the associated OS Printer
>> Drivers using the
>> IP address other computers on the LAN are using the Brother with.

> Thanks. I finally got it work. Your help is appreciated.

YW and thanx for the update.