PC Review


Reply
Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 4 votes, 5.00 average.

Re: Computer crashed during a windows update running XP

 
 
Robert Aldwinckle
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      17th Jun 2009
(cross-post added to XP Perf & Maint)
"Nat2731" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message news:(E-Mail Removed)...
>I was trying to trouble shoot a problem with a computer that would
> intermittently crash every so often. The system downloaded 3 updates for
> install. I shutdown and selected install updates to try to make sure I had
> the latest files. During the install on 3 of 3 the system crashed again! I
> knew this wasn't good. I haven't been able to restart the system. When I
> boot it comes up with the windows logo and the progress bar, then it stops
> with a blue screen and the following message.
>
> Stop: c000021a {Fatal system error} The system manager intialization system
> process terminated unexpectedly with a status of 0xc000026c (0x00000000
> 0x00000000). The system has been shut down.
>


> Is there anyway I can recover from this situation.
>
> I've tried booting to the startup menu with F8. I've selected restore to
> last known good state, but no luck. Are there any other suggestions out
> there.



Yes. Did you try safe mode?

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/316503

(BING search for
c000021a stop site:support.microsoft.com XP
)


Do you have Norton products installed? Perhaps you have GoBack too?

BTW does the stop screen give you any clue about which module
this error is being issued from? I think that exception 0xC000026C
(or 620 if it is any better known in decimal) might only be known by
the author of that module. E.g. it's not a standard one such as
0xC0000005 AFAIK.

Oh, as someone speculates here, perhaps it is a symptom of a cascading
sequence of STOP codes?

http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/topic62944.html

(BING search for
0x21A STOP
)


In that case your other STOP code would mean...


http://support.microsoft.com/kb/315241

(BING search for
0xC000026C STOP site:support.microsoft.com
)


And in that case a safe mode boot might help anyway because
it would show you what driver was loaded last.
I'm not sure if it would also show you which driver could not
be loaded then.

Note: cross-posting to an XP NG which specializes in error recovery.


Good luck

Robert Aldwinckle
---


> XP was preinstalled on the Dell computer. I don't have a MS install
> disk, but have the Dell restore disk. I resisted using it because I'm
> thinking it will go back to the initial state of the computer and I will
> rebuild the system from scratch. Is an inplace install a good solution or
> will this just make it worse? Any help from anyone would be greatly
> appreciated. Thanks. - Nat
>
> ========================
> Additional information:
> I just wanted to make sure people knew I'm not looking to solve the reason
> the computer crashed. I just trying to figure out if there is a way to
> recover from a windows update that stalls, losses power, or crashes before
> the installation of the updates is complete. Thanks.
>
>



 
Reply With Quote
 
 
 
 
Gerry
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      18th Jun 2009
Nat

Do you have important data files on the drive you need to recover? If
yes this needs to be done before taking any action to fix the problem or
you risk their loss!
Do you need help to do this? If yes do you have access to a second
computer?

Using the Dell Restore CD is destructive!
http://snurl.com/kcufa [support_dell_com]

You indicated that the computer has a history of intermittent crashes.
Can you provide more details?

Why did the compputer lose power? Is this a case of hardware failure
leading to software damage?

0xc000026c could be suggesting, unless I am mistaken, :
A Stop: 0xc000026C or Stop: 0xc0000221 "Unable to Load Device Driver"
Error Occurs When You Start Windows XP
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/315241

Accessing Recovery Console
http://answers.yahoo.com/question/in...4202332AAOR6zv

What is your computer model?

To attempt recovery you need to gain access. There are ways this can be
done but you need to have in mind what you intend to do when you gain
access?

You can use System Restore to revert to system settings before the crash
occurred. That would remove the problem of failed Updates. However, that
will not resolve a damaged driver issue. At the moment I am not sure how
to interpret the two parameters following the status code. "0xc000026c
(0x00000000 0x00000000)". Are you seeing any clues, which might point to
the identity of a damaged driver? There should be a dump report but
these are difficult to interpret. You cannot run something like system
file checker from the Recovery Console. You can replace single drivers
using the Expand command from the Recovery Console.

Robert

Status code: 0xc000026C =Unable to Load Device Driver
http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/cc704588(prot.10).aspx


--


Hope this helps.

Gerry
~~~~
FCA
Stourport, England
Enquire, plan and execute
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Robert Aldwinckle wrote:
> (cross-post added to XP Perf & Maint)
> "Nat2731" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:(E-Mail Removed)...
>> I was trying to trouble shoot a problem with a computer that would
>> intermittently crash every so often. The system downloaded 3
>> updates for install. I shutdown and selected install updates to try
>> to make sure I had the latest files. During the install on 3 of 3
>> the system crashed again! I knew this wasn't good. I haven't been
>> able to restart the system. When I boot it comes up with the
>> windows logo and the progress bar, then it stops with a blue screen
>> and the following message. Stop: c000021a {Fatal system error} The
>> system manager intialization
>> system process terminated unexpectedly with a status of 0xc000026c
>> (0x00000000 0x00000000). The system has been shut down.
>>

>
>> Is there anyway I can recover from this situation.
>>
>> I've tried booting to the startup menu with F8. I've selected
>> restore to last known good state, but no luck. Are there any other
>> suggestions out there.

>
>
> Yes. Did you try safe mode?
>
> http://support.microsoft.com/kb/316503
>
> (BING search for
> c000021a stop site:support.microsoft.com XP
> )
>
>
> Do you have Norton products installed? Perhaps you have GoBack too?
>
> BTW does the stop screen give you any clue about which module
> this error is being issued from? I think that exception 0xC000026C
> (or 620 if it is any better known in decimal) might only be known by
> the author of that module. E.g. it's not a standard one such as
> 0xC0000005 AFAIK.
>
> Oh, as someone speculates here, perhaps it is a symptom of a cascading
> sequence of STOP codes?
>
> http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/topic62944.html
>
> (BING search for
> 0x21A STOP
> )
>
>
> In that case your other STOP code would mean...
>
>
> http://support.microsoft.com/kb/315241
>
> (BING search for
> 0xC000026C STOP site:support.microsoft.com
> )
>
>
> And in that case a safe mode boot might help anyway because
> it would show you what driver was loaded last.
> I'm not sure if it would also show you which driver could not
> be loaded then.
>
> Note: cross-posting to an XP NG which specializes in error recovery.
>
>
> Good luck
>
> Robert Aldwinckle
> ---
>
>
>> XP was preinstalled on the Dell computer. I don't have a MS install
>> disk, but have the Dell restore disk. I resisted using it because
>> I'm thinking it will go back to the initial state of the computer
>> and I will rebuild the system from scratch. Is an inplace install a
>> good solution or will this just make it worse? Any help from anyone
>> would be greatly appreciated. Thanks. - Nat
>>
>> ========================
>> Additional information:
>> I just wanted to make sure people knew I'm not looking to solve the
>> reason the computer crashed. I just trying to figure out if there
>> is a way to recover from a windows update that stalls, losses power,
>> or crashes before the installation of the updates is complete.
>> Thanks.


 
Reply With Quote
 
 
 
 
Robert Aldwinckle
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      18th Jun 2009
(FollowUp-To set to XP Perf & Maint)
"Gerry" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message news:%23eIO46%(E-Mail Removed)...

> Robert
>
> Status code: 0xc000026C =Unable to Load Device Driver
> http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/cc704588(prot.10).aspx



Thanks, Gerry.

If the OP comes back I guess we should suggest he Followup-to
Perf & Maint? I can set a web interface notification for this thread
for my own interest.


Robert
---

http://www.microsoft.com/communities...3-c7576a1b423b


 
Reply With Quote
 
Gerry
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      18th Jun 2009
Robert

I monitor conversations I contribute to for a bit over a month. My
method of monitoring also means I see any contributions to the other
sub-thread not crossposted. We would seem to have the situation covered
<G>!

The problem brought out a number of interesting out a number of interest
ponts,

Do you know what the two parameters for the status code mean? I was
wondering why the address of the driver not loading is not recorded?

--


Gerry
~~~~
FCA
Stourport, England
Enquire, plan and execute
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Robert Aldwinckle wrote:
> (FollowUp-To set to XP Perf & Maint)
> "Gerry" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:%23eIO46%(E-Mail Removed)...
>> Robert
>>
>> Status code: 0xc000026C =Unable to Load Device Driver
>> http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/cc704588(prot.10).aspx

>
>
> Thanks, Gerry.
>
> If the OP comes back I guess we should suggest he Followup-to
> Perf & Maint? I can set a web interface notification for this thread
> for my own interest.
>
>
> Robert
> ---
>
> http://www.microsoft.com/communities...3-c7576a1b423b


 
Reply With Quote
 
Robert Aldwinckle
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      19th Jun 2009


"Gerry" wrote:

> The problem brought out a number of interesting out a number of interest
> ponts,
>
> Do you know what the two parameters for the status code mean?



The XP RK just says they are zero? How useful!


> I was wondering why the address of the driver not loading is not recorded?



I'd rather have the *name* of the driver which could not be loaded
but perhaps that would be too useful too! ; ]

That's why I suggested a safe mode boot, since I noticed that it shows
the names of modules as they are loaded. I thought that even if it doesn't
get loaded its name might show then and presumably it would be the last
name shown.

Do you know anything about the OP's OEM system? E.g. does it provide
a Recovery Console which could be used as an alternate boot?
One of the suggestions then would be to try a driver rollback
(if a new driver had been installed by the "updates").

Also, surprisingly, the 0xC000021A supposedly occurs in User mode;
so diagnostics such as drwtsn32.log and user.dmp could be produced.
I don't think those would help even if he had a Recovery Console though.
He would need a full alternate boot to make use of such diagnostics.


Robert
---
 
Reply With Quote
 
Gerry
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      19th Jun 2009
Robert

Replies inline.

Robert Aldwinckle wrote:
> "Gerry" wrote:
>
>> The problem brought out a number of interesting out a number of
>> interest ponts,
>>
>> Do you know what the two parameters for the status code mean?

>
>
> The XP RK just says they are zero? How useful!


RK? Is this shorthand for Resource Kit? Where are you reading this,
other than in the bug check code?

>
>
>> I was wondering why the address of the driver not loading is not
>> recorded?

>
>
> I'd rather have the *name* of the driver which could not be loaded
> but perhaps that would be too useful too! ; ]


That's my interpretion of what should be there. The form of Bug Check
0xC000021A differs from other Stop Errors. Most Stop Error reports are
the format of a Bug Check code with four parameters. There have been a
number of the Status code 0xc000026C reports with the zero parameters in
Google. Bug Check 0xC000021A has similarities to Bug 0xC0000221 but the
differences are something I have not yet studied.

>
> That's why I suggested a safe mode boot, since I noticed that it shows
> the names of modules as they are loaded. I thought that even if it
> doesn't get loaded its name might show then and presumably it would
> be the last name shown.


Where are you noting the loading of modules? A logged boot records these
but it is my understanding that a logged boot is a normal mode boot. I
am not aware of a way to log a safe mode boot. One Event Viewer report
lists drivers not loading in safe mode but my suspicion is that it is an
incomlete list. A list identifying which drivers load in normal mode,
which do not in safe mode would help. Just as identifying those not
loading during the but process but later on demand would also aid
diagnosis.

>
> Do you know anything about the OP's OEM system? E.g. does it provide
> a Recovery Console which could be used as an alternate boot?
> One of the suggestions then would be to try a driver rollback
> (if a new driver had been installed by the "updates").


I have never played on a Dell computer. What I know is based on what I
have read in Dell documentation and other user comment. One of the links
I posted earlier leads to this link:
http://snurl.com/kfrun [support_dell_com]

Something in my memory suggests you may not be able to intall or run the
recovery console but I could equally be wrong.
>
> Also, surprisingly, the 0xC000021A supposedly occurs in User mode;
> so diagnostics such as drwtsn32.log and user.dmp could be
> produced.


Accessing the drwtsn32.log is something that has come into my thoughts
recently but I have not yet explored the practicalities. I have tried
viewing Event Viewer logs on a second computer. It does not work. There
are other ways of accessing a computer that fails to boot other than the
Recovery Console such as Linux disks.


> I don't think those would help even if he had a Recovery Console
> though.
> He would need a full alternate boot to make use of such diagnostics.


Using the Recovery Console does require skills that not all seeking help
can master,.

>
>
> Robert
> ---



--


Gerry
~~~~
FCA
Stourport, England
Enquire, plan and execute
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

 
Reply With Quote
 
Robert Aldwinckle
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      19th Jun 2009


"Gerry" wrote:

> Robert
>
> Replies inline.
>
> Robert Aldwinckle wrote:
> > "Gerry" wrote:
> >
> >> The problem brought out a number of interesting out a number of
> >> interest ponts,
> >>
> >> Do you know what the two parameters for the status code mean?

> >
> >
> > The XP RK just says they are zero? How useful!

>
> RK? Is this shorthand for Resource Kit? Where are you reading this,
> other than in the bug check code?



P. 1366 ; ) The best online version I can find is a transcription of the
W2000 RK
which has less information on it:

http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/ms854951.aspx



>
> >
> >
> >> I was wondering why the address of the driver not loading is not
> >> recorded?

> >
> >
> > I'd rather have the *name* of the driver which could not be loaded
> > but perhaps that would be too useful too! ; ]

>
> That's my interpretion of what should be there.



http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/ms797159.aspx

<quote>
A string that identifies the problem
</quote>

I think it is just giving us the name of the user process which failed
which the OP has duly reported as being:
"The system manager intialization system"


> The form of Bug Check
> 0xC000021A differs from other Stop Errors. Most Stop Error reports are
> the format of a Bug Check code with four parameters. There have been a
> number of the Status code 0xc000026C reports with the zero parameters in
> Google. Bug Check 0xC000021A has similarities to Bug 0xC0000221 but the
> differences are something I have not yet studied.
>
> >
> > That's why I suggested a safe mode boot, since I noticed that it shows
> > the names of modules as they are loaded. I thought that even if it
> > doesn't get loaded its name might show then and presumably it would
> > be the last name shown.

>
> Where are you noting the loading of modules?



When I ask for a safe mode boot I get a whole screen full of lines which look
like a record of each driver being loaded. Perhaps it's an XP Pro
difference?



> A logged boot records these
> but it is my understanding that a logged boot is a normal mode boot. I
> am not aware of a way to log a safe mode boot. One Event Viewer report
> lists drivers not loading in safe mode but my suspicion is that it is an
> incomlete list.


> A list identifying which drivers load in normal mode,
> which do not in safe mode would help. Just as identifying those not
> loading during the but process but later on demand would also aid
> diagnosis.



I had forgotten about that difference, except that if the OP tried a safe
mode
boot and then reported being able to do something it would have been
apparent. ; )


Robert
---
 
Reply With Quote
 
Gerry
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      19th Jun 2009
Robert

This article is relevant to my earlier remarks about using the Recovery
Console and OEM versions of Windows XP
How to recover from a corrupted registry that prevents Windows XP from
starting
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/307545

I will write again regarding your latest post tomorrow.

--


Gerry
~~~~
FCA
Stourport, England
Enquire, plan and execute
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~


Robert Aldwinckle wrote:
> "Gerry" wrote:
>
>> Robert
>>
>> Replies inline.
>>
>> Robert Aldwinckle wrote:
>>> "Gerry" wrote:
>>>
>>>> The problem brought out a number of interesting out a number of
>>>> interest ponts,
>>>>
>>>> Do you know what the two parameters for the status code mean?
>>>
>>>
>>> The XP RK just says they are zero? How useful!

>>
>> RK? Is this shorthand for Resource Kit? Where are you reading this,
>> other than in the bug check code?

>
>
> P. 1366 ; ) The best online version I can find is a transcription
> of the W2000 RK
> which has less information on it:
>
> http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/ms854951.aspx
>
>
>
>>
>>>
>>>
>>>> I was wondering why the address of the driver not loading is not
>>>> recorded?
>>>
>>>
>>> I'd rather have the *name* of the driver which could not be loaded
>>> but perhaps that would be too useful too! ; ]

>>
>> That's my interpretion of what should be there.

>
>
> http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/ms797159.aspx
>
> <quote>
> A string that identifies the problem
> </quote>
>
> I think it is just giving us the name of the user process which failed
> which the OP has duly reported as being:
> "The system manager intialization system"
>
>
>> The form of Bug Check
>> 0xC000021A differs from other Stop Errors. Most Stop Error reports
>> are the format of a Bug Check code with four parameters. There have
>> been a number of the Status code 0xc000026C reports with the zero
>> parameters in Google. Bug Check 0xC000021A has similarities to Bug
>> 0xC0000221 but the differences are something I have not yet studied.
>>
>>>
>>> That's why I suggested a safe mode boot, since I noticed that it
>>> shows the names of modules as they are loaded. I thought that
>>> even if it doesn't get loaded its name might show then and
>>> presumably it would be the last name shown.

>>
>> Where are you noting the loading of modules?

>
>
> When I ask for a safe mode boot I get a whole screen full of lines
> which look like a record of each driver being loaded. Perhaps it's
> an XP Pro difference?
>
>
>
>> A logged boot records these
>> but it is my understanding that a logged boot is a normal mode boot.
>> I am not aware of a way to log a safe mode boot. One Event Viewer
>> report lists drivers not loading in safe mode but my suspicion is
>> that it is an incomlete list.

>
>> A list identifying which drivers load in normal mode,
>> which do not in safe mode would help. Just as identifying those not
>> loading during the but process but later on demand would also aid
>> diagnosis.

>
>
> I had forgotten about that difference, except that if the OP tried a
> safe mode
> boot and then reported being able to do something it would have been
> apparent. ; )
>
>
> Robert
> ---


 
Reply With Quote
 
Gerry
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      20th Jun 2009
Robert

Replies inline.

Robert Aldwinckle wrote:

>>>>
>>>> Do you know what the two parameters for the status code mean?
>>>
>>>
>>> The XP RK just says they are zero? How useful!


Could this be a consequence of switching from User Mode to Kernel Mode?


>
>
> P. 1366 ; ) The best online version I can find is a transcription
> of the W2000 RK
> which has less information on it:
>
> http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/ms854951.aspx
>


Parts of that Article paraphrase Article 797159 or the reverse.


>
>
> http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/ms797159.aspx
>
> <quote>
> A string that identifies the problem
> </quote>
>
> I think it is just giving us the name of the user process which failed
> which the OP has duly reported as being:
> "The system manager intialization system"


I tried researching "The system manager intialization system process".
All I could get was the Bug Check 0xC000021A

I have noticed in Process Explorer that SMSS is a child of System and
WinLogon is a child of SMSS (Session Manager Sub-System).

>
>
>>>
>>> That's why I suggested a safe mode boot, since I noticed that it
>>> shows the names of modules as they are loaded. I thought that
>>> even if it doesn't get loaded its name might show then and
>>> presumably it would be the last name shown.

>>
>> Where are you noting the loading of modules?

>
>
> When I ask for a safe mode boot I get a whole screen full of lines
> which look like a record of each driver being loaded. Perhaps it's
> an XP Pro difference?


>

Yes now I understand but they flash by so quickly it is difficult to
record the whole list.

>
>


--


Gerry
~~~~
FCA
Stourport, England
Enquire, plan and execute
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

 
Reply With Quote
 
davi taylor
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      25th Jun 2009

I am having problems with a clean up. Now my system is crashing. Used a site
given to me, www.Ccleaner.com say's it is free, then they ask for a fee.
Where did the 'r' go in the word "free"...misleading, and now my computer is
useless except for a glorified typewriter. Has taken over 7 hours to
uninstall. My control panel would not come up. What did they do to my
computer?


--
"Towards New Horizons"


"Robert Aldwinckle" wrote:

> (cross-post added to XP Perf & Maint)
> "Nat2731" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> >I was trying to trouble shoot a problem with a computer that would
> > intermittently crash every so often. The system downloaded 3 updates for
> > install. I shutdown and selected install updates to try to make sure I had
> > the latest files. During the install on 3 of 3 the system crashed again! I
> > knew this wasn't good. I haven't been able to restart the system. When I
> > boot it comes up with the windows logo and the progress bar, then it stops
> > with a blue screen and the following message.
> >
> > Stop: c000021a {Fatal system error} The system manager intialization system
> > process terminated unexpectedly with a status of 0xc000026c (0x00000000
> > 0x00000000). The system has been shut down.
> >

>
> > Is there anyway I can recover from this situation.
> >
> > I've tried booting to the startup menu with F8. I've selected restore to
> > last known good state, but no luck. Are there any other suggestions out
> > there.

>
>
> Yes. Did you try safe mode?
>
> http://support.microsoft.com/kb/316503
>
> (BING search for
> c000021a stop site:support.microsoft.com XP
> )
>
>
> Do you have Norton products installed? Perhaps you have GoBack too?
>
> BTW does the stop screen give you any clue about which module
> this error is being issued from? I think that exception 0xC000026C
> (or 620 if it is any better known in decimal) might only be known by
> the author of that module. E.g. it's not a standard one such as
> 0xC0000005 AFAIK.
>
> Oh, as someone speculates here, perhaps it is a symptom of a cascading
> sequence of STOP codes?
>
> http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/topic62944.html
>
> (BING search for
> 0x21A STOP
> )
>
>
> In that case your other STOP code would mean...
>
>
> http://support.microsoft.com/kb/315241
>
> (BING search for
> 0xC000026C STOP site:support.microsoft.com
> )
>
>
> And in that case a safe mode boot might help anyway because
> it would show you what driver was loaded last.
> I'm not sure if it would also show you which driver could not
> be loaded then.
>
> Note: cross-posting to an XP NG which specializes in error recovery.
>
>
> Good luck
>
> Robert Aldwinckle
> ---
>
>
> > XP was preinstalled on the Dell computer. I don't have a MS install
> > disk, but have the Dell restore disk. I resisted using it because I'm
> > thinking it will go back to the initial state of the computer and I will
> > rebuild the system from scratch. Is an inplace install a good solution or
> > will this just make it worse? Any help from anyone would be greatly
> > appreciated. Thanks. - Nat
> >
> > ========================
> > Additional information:
> > I just wanted to make sure people knew I'm not looking to solve the reason
> > the computer crashed. I just trying to figure out if there is a way to
> > recover from a windows update that stalls, losses power, or crashes before
> > the installation of the updates is complete. Thanks.
> >
> >

>
>
>

 
Reply With Quote
 
 
 
Reply

Thread Tools
Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread:

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Computer crashed during a windows XP update install Nat2731 Windows XP General 5 18th Jun 2009 08:15 AM
Is there a way to synchronize favorites between 2 computers? i.e. copy any favorites on computer A but not computer B to computer B and any on computer B but not computer A to computer A? Huck Microsoft Outlook Contacts 1 17th Sep 2006 10:54 AM
crashed module: mfc42.dll, version: 6.2.4131.0, crashed at: 0x0000 =?Utf-8?B?RWQk?= Windows XP General 0 6th Jan 2006 09:48 PM
XP crashed during update, now won't start Jodie Windows XP Performance 0 19th Aug 2004 11:21 PM
Win XP crashed during Window Update - can not boot hONG Windows XP General 0 14th Jun 2004 04:03 PM


Features
 

Advertising
 

Newsgroups
 


All times are GMT +1. The time now is 11:19 AM.