Re: Basic Questions to see if FrontPage is right for me

Murray

      18th Jan 2007
> Now I guess I should ask is there any other easier way to do this? For
> example a program that is more 'beginner friendly' or a book that would
> help
> describe the coding I needed.

It is my honest opinion that 'beginner friendly' is not going to work for
this project. You will need experience in areas that are just not amenable
to 'beginner friendly' approaches.

The job you are describing is one that will require familiarity with not
only HTML (and most likely javascript and CSS) but also with
server-scripting languages/methods, database
management/configuration/creation, user interface construction (to manage
the database on the 'back end"), administration methods (password
protection/login-logout), security (SQL/email injection management), etc. I
recognize that you may have extraordinarily sharp skills with computers, but
without some prior exposure to these things, the uphill climb will be
vertical, and there will be MANY opportunities to make fatal mistakes.

I hate to sound pessimistic here, but I just want to make sure you
understand how daunting this task might be.

FrontPage/Dreamweaver could help you some, since both of these have native
support for some server scripting. But you are describing a custom
application that would not be covered in full by any of this support - in
other words, you would not be able to avoid manually editing some of the
boilerplate code inserted by either authoring system. See what I mean?

--
Murray
--------------

"Longtime listener first time caller"
<(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> [...]
> started. One benefit to my current position is that I have a lot of time
> work on it, months if I wanted, so I figure I could atleast crank it out
> in
> months.
>
> Now I guess I should ask is there any other easier way to do this? For
> example a program that is more 'beginner friendly' or a book that would
> help
> describe the coding I needed.
>
> I do have access to a mac too if that makes any difference but I don't
> know
> if the liscensing would be as easy to come by.
>
> Thank you for your concern and polite ways of addressing my inexperienced
> language. This looks like a really great community and has already proven
> me to be a valuable resource.
>

> "Longtime listener first time caller" wrote:
>
>> Hello community,
>>
>> I have a few questions that should be able to be answered pretty easily.
>> guess the first step is to explain my situation.
>>
>> My employer has asked me to improve upon their employee application
>> process
>> by adding some new features to the webpage. As of now there is no online
>> application process and this is what they would like me to add. All this
>> webpage is going to need is some ways to answer some basic questions and
>> sublit a resume.
>>
>> Now my questions are as follows.
>>
>> First, the application process will be done by selecting which business
>> units the applicant is interested in. Lets say X, Y and Z. Is there a way
>> for
>> these to create a list in FrontPage where applicants can select multiple
>> choices? If so what is the term for this type of list?
>>
>> Second, based off of what the applicant selects is there a way for the
>> application to be forwarded to certain people. For example, if an
>> applicant
>> selects X and Y can the applicantion only be submited to certain people
>> or
>> will the application always be sublited to the same end?
>>
>> If lets say there is another list that has multiple choices which would
>> further specify the applicants interest is there a way to further specify
>> the
>> people within the company that will get the application?
>>
>> One of the features that will be needed is the ability to submit a resume
>> through the site, is this doable as well?
>>
>> Now these last couple of questions are compatability issues. If the main
>> site, as what I had in mind is only 1 webpage remember, is not made with
>> FrontPage can a FrontPage made page be added to the site?
>>
>> Finally how can I find out who hosts the site?
>>
>> Well if your made it to hear I thank you for atleast taking the time to
>> read
>> my post. An even greater thanks in advance to anyone who attempts to
>> answer
>> these questions or points me to some place the answers might be.

Murray

      18th Jan 2007
I think it's good that you want to shake this thing around. It's really a
big decision.

> Now the custom scripting is only in reference to the choices made by the
> drop
> down menus or list features that would send it to specific users or is
> there
> more then that I am not considering?

It would depend on how you populate those lists and the links. Since I
don't completely understand the scope of the problem, I can't really say,
but if those lists contain only static values, then it's straightforward.

> But the information to do these kind of features
> must be available somewhere since these features like you said are custom
> but
> are not THAT advanced or obscure.

Yes - it's available. But the relevant information may only be on 20 pages
in that 450 page behemoth you just selected. You know what I mean. What
scripting languages are supported by your host server?

> With that time frame I feel like I could do something towards this. The
> company also has no problem letting me spend time learning some of this
> stuff.

That's progressive. I think you'll need it. 8)

> Thank you for helping me to understand this project a little more Murray,
> your honesty is definitely an important lesson.

You're welcome. I'm happy to continue the discussion with you....

--
Murray