Re: Backing up the registry and the OS before cleaning after Acronis True Image

Rod Speed

      9th Mar 2011
Jennifer Murphy wrote:

> It looks like I will have to do some manual repair to clean up after
> an old installation of Acronis True Image which left dangerous debris
> on my PCs.

Its not dangerous.

> I would like to have a safe and reliable procedure in place
> before I attempt any registry or OS-related changes.

Just an image does that fine.

> As I understand it, this is what I need to do:

Fraid not.

> * Back up the registry. I think I know how to do that using RegEdit.

> * Back up the OS. I am not sure how to do that.

And image of the physical drive is the best way to do that.

> * Make a bootable recovery CD. I am not sure how to do that.

The imager can do that.

> I would really like to make a full disk image backup, but I am in a
> bit of a Catch 22 here. The disk image program, ShadowProtect,
> won't install because of the Acronis debris.

Then you need a better imager.

> Is there another way to make a disk image backup

Corse there is, it isnt the only imager around.

> or is this even necessary?

Yes, its the best way to protect yourself before you start molesting the OS install manually.

> I have all of me data files backup using Carbonite.

Doesnt help if you stuff up the OS manually deleting stuff.