Re: Avira - Removal of vdf files

Shadow

      18th Apr 2012
On Tue, 17 Apr 2012 16:39:38 +0100, "Chris" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

>Can the old virus definition update files be deleted with impunity ? I have
>found a large number of files named antivir*.vdf (and zip file versions) and
>they are taking a significant amount of space on my old desktop which is
>starting to run low on available disk. Can't find any references to clearing
>or deleting them.
>
>Chris
>(Running Avira Antivir Personal on Win2K)

I have no antivi*.vdf on my PC at all. All my definitions are
in vbase*.vdf files.
So yes, you can probably delete them all.
[]'s

PS Cookie Cleaner has an option to "clean" Avira files. You
will lose all your log files though.
--
Don't be evil - Google 2004
We have a new policy - Google 2012

FredW

      18th Apr 2012
On Wed, 18 Apr 2012 17:56:25 +0100, "Chris" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>"Shadow" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
>news(E-Mail Removed)...
>> On Tue, 17 Apr 2012 16:39:38 +0100, "Chris" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>>
>> >Can the old virus definition update files be deleted with impunity ? I

>have
>> >found a large number of files named antivir*.vdf (and zip file versions)

>and
>>
>> I have no antivi*.vdf on my PC at all. All my definitions are
>> in vbase*.vdf files.
>> So yes, you can probably delete them all.
>> []'s
>>
>> PS Cookie Cleaner has an option to "clean" Avira files. You
>> will lose all your log files though.

>I can't see any option in CCleaner on my system for dealing with Avira
>files.
>Would be quite happy to lose the log files

I have also no antiv*.vdf files in Windows 7.

In CCleaner -> Cleaner / Applications / Utilities
there you can select AntiVir Desktop

In Avira Free Antivirus
Configuration (F8) / General / Events or Reports
there you can limit the number kept.

--
Fred W. (NL)

VanguardLH

      18th Apr 2012
Chris wrote:

> "Shadow" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news(E-Mail Removed)...
>> On Tue, 17 Apr 2012 16:39:38 +0100, "Chris" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>>
>>>Can the old virus definition update files be deleted with impunity ? I

> have
>>>found a large number of files named antivir*.vdf (and zip file versions)

> and
>>>they are taking a significant amount of space on my old desktop which is
>>>starting to run low on available disk. Can't find any references to

> clearing
>>>or deleting them.
>>>
>>>Chris
>>>(Running Avira Antivir Personal on Win2K)

>> I have no antivi*.vdf on my PC at all. All my definitions are
>> in vbase*.vdf files.
>> So yes, you can probably delete them all.
>> []'s
>>
>> PS Cookie Cleaner has an option to "clean" Avira files. You
>> will lose all your log files though.
>> --
>> Don't be evil - Google 2004
>> We have a new policy - Google 2012

> I can't see any option in CCleaner on my system for dealing with Avira
> files.
> Would be quite happy to lose the log files

Don't know how you got from Cookie Cleaner to CCleaner. Cookie Cleaner
is a separate product than CCleaner whose original name was Crap
Cleaner, not Cookie Cleaner.

Since you're asking about CCleaner, go under its Options -> Include
section to add the folder where are the log files that you want CCleaner
to delete.

Shadow

      19th Apr 2012
On Wed, 18 Apr 2012 17:56:25 +0100, "Chris" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

>"Shadow" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
>news(E-Mail Removed)...
>> On Tue, 17 Apr 2012 16:39:38 +0100, "Chris" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>>
>> >Can the old virus definition update files be deleted with impunity ? I

>have
>> >found a large number of files named antivir*.vdf (and zip file versions)

>and
>> >they are taking a significant amount of space on my old desktop which is
>> >starting to run low on available disk. Can't find any references to

>clearing
>> >or deleting them.
>> >
>> >Chris
>> >(Running Avira Antivir Personal on Win2K)

>> I have no antivi*.vdf on my PC at all. All my definitions are
>> in vbase*.vdf files.
>> So yes, you can probably delete them all.
>> []'s
>>
>> PS Cookie Cleaner has an option to "clean" Avira files. You
>> will lose all your log files though.
>> --
>> Don't be evil - Google 2004
>> We have a new policy - Google 2012

>I can't see any option in CCleaner on my system for dealing with Avira
>files.
>Would be quite happy to lose the log files

Open CCleaner (version 3.17) ---> Applications ---> Utilities
----> Antivir Desktop.
Right click and choose analyze before you check the box, just
in case.
[]'s
--

Shadow wrote:

> Open CCleaner (version 3.17)
> ---> Applications
> ---> Utilities
> ----> Antivir Desktop.
> Right click and choose analyze before you check the box, just in case.

I have CCleaner 3.17.1689 (which Piriform says is the latest version)
yet there is no entry for AntiVir under the Apps tab in the Utilities
section. Under Utilities, I have only the following 3 entries:

7-Zip
Avast Antivirus 6 (yet Avast is now at 7.0.1426)
WinPatrol

That's why I mentioned using CCleaner's Options -> Include to include
the log folder to delete all files there.

FredW

      19th Apr 2012
On Thu, 19 Apr 2012 16:07:37 -0500, VanguardLH <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

>Shadow wrote:
>
>> Open CCleaner (version 3.17)
>> ---> Applications
>> ---> Utilities
>> ----> Antivir Desktop.
>> Right click and choose analyze before you check the box, just in case.

>I have CCleaner 3.17.1689 (which Piriform says is the latest version)
>yet there is no entry for AntiVir under the Apps tab in the Utilities
>section. Under Utilities, I have only the following 3 entries:
>
>7-Zip
>Avast Antivirus 6 (yet Avast is now at 7.0.1426)
>WinPatrol
>
>That's why I mentioned using CCleaner's Options -> Include to include
>the log folder to delete all files there.

I have CCleaner version 3.17.1689 (64-bit)
Under Applications / Utilities I can select:
- AntiVir Desktop
- Malwarebytes Anti Malware
- Windows Defender
- WinPatrol
- WinRAR
No 7-Zip
No Avast

Maybe you can select only software installed on your PC?

--
Fred W. (NL)

Shadow

      20th Apr 2012
On Thu, 19 Apr 2012 16:07:37 -0500, VanguardLH wrote:

> I have CCleaner 3.17.1689 (which Piriform says is the latest version)
> yet there is no entry for AntiVir under the Apps tab in the Utilities
> section. Under Utilities, I have only the following 3 entries:
>
> 7-Zip
> Avast Antivirus 6 (yet Avast is now at 7.0.1426) WinPatrol
>
> That's why I mentioned using CCleaner's Options -> Include to include
> the log folder to delete all files there.

I have loads of entries. All of them installed. Maybe it only
shows what you have installed ? I have 7-zip. But not Avast or Winpatrol.

[]'s

VanguardLH

      20th Apr 2012
Shadow wrote:

> On Thu, 19 Apr 2012 16:07:37 -0500, VanguardLH wrote:
>
>> I have CCleaner 3.17.1689 (which Piriform says is the latest version)
>> yet there is no entry for AntiVir under the Apps tab in the Utilities
>> section. Under Utilities, I have only the following 3 entries:
>>
>> 7-Zip
>> Avast Antivirus 6 (yet Avast is now at 7.0.1426) WinPatrol
>>
>> That's why I mentioned using CCleaner's Options -> Include to include
>> the log folder to delete all files there.

> I have loads of entries. All of them installed. Maybe it only
> shows what you have installed ? I have 7-zip. But not Avast or Winpatrol.
>
> []'s

That could be. Chris said he has MalwareBytes. I have that installed
but it isn't listed as a utility in CCleaner. Maybe you need the
payware version installed for CCleaner to list MalwareBytes.

Bear

      20th Apr 2012
VanguardLH <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in news:jmscbg$7hd$(E-Mail Removed):

> Shadow wrote:
>
>> On Thu, 19 Apr 2012 16:07:37 -0500, VanguardLH wrote:
>>
>>> I have CCleaner 3.17.1689 (which Piriform says is the latest
>>> version) yet there is no entry for AntiVir under the Apps tab in the
>>> Utilities section. Under Utilities, I have only the following 3
>>> entries:
>>>
>>> 7-Zip
>>> Avast Antivirus 6 (yet Avast is now at 7.0.1426) WinPatrol
>>>
>>> That's why I mentioned using CCleaner's Options -> Include to
>>> include the log folder to delete all files there.

>> I have loads of entries. All of them installed. Maybe it only
>> shows what you have installed ? I have 7-zip. But not Avast or
>> Winpatrol.
>>
>> []'s

> That could be. Chris said he has MalwareBytes. I have that installed
> but it isn't listed as a utility in CCleaner. Maybe you need the
> payware version installed for CCleaner to list MalwareBytes.

you can list anything you want with Ccleaner in the ini file.

--
Bear
http://bearware.info

Shadow

      21st Apr 2012
On Fri, 20 Apr 2012 14:10:50 -0500, VanguardLH <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

>Shadow wrote:
>
>> On Thu, 19 Apr 2012 16:07:37 -0500, VanguardLH wrote:
>>
>>> I have CCleaner 3.17.1689 (which Piriform says is the latest version)
>>> yet there is no entry for AntiVir under the Apps tab in the Utilities
>>> section. Under Utilities, I have only the following 3 entries:
>>>
>>> 7-Zip
>>> Avast Antivirus 6 (yet Avast is now at 7.0.1426) WinPatrol
>>>
>>> That's why I mentioned using CCleaner's Options -> Include to include
>>> the log folder to delete all files there.

>> I have loads of entries. All of them installed. Maybe it only
>> shows what you have installed ? I have 7-zip. But not Avast or Winpatrol.
>>
>> []'s

>That could be. Chris said he has MalwareBytes. I have that installed
>but it isn't listed as a utility in CCleaner. Maybe you need the
>payware version installed for CCleaner to list MalwareBytes.

Move ccleaner ini file somewhere safe. (I presume you are
using the portable version) . Fire up good old Regmon. . You will see
CCleaner searches all the software sections of Current User and Local
Machine in the registry, and adds a pre-set list of the findings to
the interface. You can then opt-in or out of them.
Replace your old ccleaner ini file.
Dunno why your malwarebytes does not show up. Mine is the free
version.
[]'s