Re: Athlon XP/MP vs. Phenom

Wes Newell

      3rd Dec 2008
On Tue, 02 Dec 2008 19:46:47 -0500, Darren Garrison wrote:

On Tue, 02 Dec 2008 19:46:47 -0500, Darren Garrison wrote:

> I'm still running an ancient Athlon MP:
>
> http://webpages.charter.net/garrison6328/currentcpu.jpg
>
> I want to upgrade. I'm thinking about a Phenom 9100e, because I want
> the low wattage (65 watt vs. 125 watt). But that processor runs at only
> 1.8 GHz core, which is the same clock speed as my Athlon MP.

According to your link, you've either changed the default multiplier to 11
and a FSB of 166, or you don't really have a 2200+ MP. Doesn't really
matter since you have a Tbred B core. Running it at only 1830MHz is a
waste of power. It should run at about 2200MHz easily. You can do this by
either increasing the multiplier to 13 (2166MHz)or 13.5 (2250MHz), or
raising the FSB to 200MHz if your board supports it. Either way would give
you about a 20% increase in cpu speed.

> My question is this-- for applications that only make use only a single
> core, would a Phenom core give much better performance than an Athlon
> Thunderbird core at the same clock frequency? (I do use some
> applications, such as Maya, that can benifit well from 4 cores, but I'm
> wondering about simpler, single-core apps).

I'm not sure if you'd get much benefit from a 1.8GHz single core phenom,
but you'd certainly see a great overall performance increase. You might
want to consider an X2 cpu. They are cheaper than dirt now and you can get
a higher speed X2 for next to nothing. Fry's just had a phenom capable
board with an X2 5600+ (65W, 2.9GHz) on sale for $65.99. They were out
when I sent my wife to get one, but she got a raincheck. It's just a spare
anyway. Now that would be a tremendous increase over your current cpu in
all aspects.

Wes Newell

      3rd Dec 2008
On Wed, 03 Dec 2008 11:27:14 -0500, Darren Garrison wrote:

On Wed, 03 Dec 2008 11:27:14 -0500, Darren Garrison wrote:

> I've had some overclocking experience-- not extreme, but some. I had a
> Pentium 75 that I ran at 90 (I tried running at 100, but had sporadic
> crashes), and A K6-2 350 that I ran at 400. So I tried adjusting the
> speed on this one when I got it (on an Asus A7N8X Deluxe motherboard. I
> played with settings, off and on, for days. But for some reason, the
> board would never let me use any settings other than the automatic. Any
> overclocking attempt led me to not even reaching the BIOS screen and
> having to reset the CMOS via a jumper on the motherboard. This is what
> the processor actually runs at/as in the automatic settings.

Somethings not right. All MP cpu's use a default 133MHz FSB. A 2200+ MP
would have a default FSB of 133 and a 13.5 multiplier. You need to verify
the cpu model you have by the part number on the cpu itself. The MB
reports the model by the speed for K7 cpu's. The actual model can be
something totally different. A 2100+ XP will report as a 2700+ if you
raise the default FSB to 166.

Wes Newell

      4th Dec 2008
On Wed, 03 Dec 2008 14:43:19 -0500, Darren Garrison wrote:

On Wed, 03 Dec 2008 14:43:19 -0500, Darren Garrison wrote:

> <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>
>>Somethings not right. All MP cpu's use a default 133MHz FSB. A 2200+ MP

> Okay, I DID have an Athlon XP 2600+ originally on the board. After
> about 2-3 years, it died. Not being able to get on-line to look for a
> deal, I had to look around locally for a replacement CPU, but socket 462
> was already obsolete then, and the best I could find was a 1 GHz
> Sempron. Then, a few months after that, I found a good deal at
> www.geeks.com. I didn't remember well which processor it was, I was
> just going by what CPUZ showed it to be. But I've just checked my Geeks
> account, and what I ordered was this:
>
> http://www.geeks.com/details.asp?invtid=SDA2600DUT3D-N

Now that makes sense.

> Anyway, I decided my best bet performance-wise was to go with your
> advice and go for a higher-GHz value X2 instead of 1.8 GHz Phenom. I
> ordered this mobo (because it has an AGP slot):
>
> http://3btech.net/msik9alsoam2.html

Ouch. I don't like your choice of MB's, It's not AM2+, only AM2, and an
old VIA chipset. Sata I, etc,etc. You can get an AM2+ MB with onboard
graphics for not much more if any more depending on how good a shopper you
are. No more than $20 more. AM2+ would give you an upgrade path to Phenom
if you ever wanted it. I'd look for a MB with Nvidia 7050PV or 8200
chipset. And while it'll be PCIe, well the onboard video should be
adequate.

> And a 45w X2 5050e to run on it:

> Plus 2 gigs of 800 MHz DDR2 (I currently have 1 GB of PC2700) and some
> Arctic Silver 5. Should give me a much better system speed.

Rest sounds good, although I use wheel bearing grease on all my cpu's.
It's over 30 years old and still performs as good as anything else.:-)

Miles Bader

      4th Dec 2008
Wes Newell <(E-Mail Removed)> writes:
>> Plus 2 gigs of 800 MHz DDR2 (I currently have 1 GB of PC2700) and some
>> Arctic Silver 5. Should give me a much better system speed.

> Rest sounds good, although I use wheel bearing grease on all my cpu's.
> It's over 30 years old and still performs as good as anything else.:-)

Just think how delicious your system would smell if you used bacon
grease!

-Miles

--
..Numeric stability is probably not all that important when you're guessing.

Wes Newell

      4th Dec 2008
On Thu, 04 Dec 2008 01:57:44 -0500, Darren Garrison wrote:

> On Thu, 4 Dec 2008 06:17:54 +0000 (UTC), Wes Newell
> <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>
>>Ouch. I don't like your choice of MB's, It's not AM2+, only AM2, and an
>>old VIA chipset. Sata I, etc,etc. You can get an AM2+ MB with onboard
>>graphics for not much more if any more depending on how good a shopper
>>you are. No more than $20 more. AM2+ would give you an upgrade path to
>>Phenom

> I concidered that-- the other mobo I was considering was this:
>
> http://3btech.net/bia7m2qucore.html
>
> But I decided that I didn't want the shared video memory. Plus, by the
> time I upgrade again, AM3 (or beyond) will be out, so the AM2+ mobo
> would still be last generation at that time.

That's almost identical to this combo I got a rain check on.

http://shopping.dallasnews.com/ROP/a...subid=24496391

Ed Light

      9th Dec 2008
You can look up the board on its web site and see if that cpu is
included in the supported cpu list. Since it's a very recent one and the
chipset is so ancient, it probably isn't.
--
Ed Light

Better World News TV Channel:
http://realnews.com

Bring the Troops Home:
http://bringthemhomenow.org
http://antiwar.com

Iraq Veterans Against the War:
http://ivaw.org
http://couragetoresist.org

Send spam to the FTC at
http://www.pcreview.co.uk/forums/(E-Mail Removed)
Thanks, robots.

Wes Newell

      9th Dec 2008
n Mon, 08 Dec 2008 21:24:36 -0500, Darren Garrison wrote:

On Mon, 08 Dec 2008 21:24:36 -0500, Darren Garrison wrote:

> So, I'm thinking that the motheboard is bad, or incapable of recognizing
> the 5050e (a retail boxed one, not OEM) and not the CPU itself bad. I'm
> ready to order a new, better mobo and send back, but first, I was hoping
> for second (or third) opinions on my "bad/old" mobo diagnosis and not
> "bad CPU".

According to MSI, the K9MM-v Does not support the cpu you got. And I don't
see a bios upgrade for it. Either time for another MB, or a supported cpu
for that one. They don't even list that cpu for this board. Might contact
them and see if they are going to release a bios for it, but you would
still have to get it and find some way to flash it. Maybe borrow an older
A64 from someone.

http://global.msi.com.tw/index.php?f...d_no=1104#menu

BTW, there's no reason other than bios, that it won't support it.

Rodney Pont

      9th Dec 2008
On Tue, 9 Dec 2008 08:01:03 +0000 (UTC), Wes Newell wrote:

>According to MSI, the K9MM-v Does not support the cpu you got. And I don't
>see a bios upgrade for it. Either time for another MB, or a supported cpu
>for that one. They don't even list that cpu for this board. Might contact
>them and see if they are going to release a bios for it, but you would
>still have to get it and find some way to flash it. Maybe borrow an older
>A64 from someone.
>

>http://global.msi.com.tw/index.php?f...d_no=1104#menu
>
>BTW, there's no reason other than bios, that it won't support it.

I can't see that any of the 125W CPUs are supported so maybe the
motherboard just can't supply the current needed.

--
Regards - Rodney Pont

Rodney Pont

      9th Dec 2008
On Tue, 09 Dec 2008 07:46:02 -0500, Darren Garrison wrote:

>On Tue, 09 Dec 2008 09:48:47 +0000 (GMT), "Rodney Pont"
><(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>

>>I can't see that any of the 125W CPUs are supported so maybe the
>>motherboard just can't supply the current needed.

>The 5050e that I have is a 45 watt model, a low-power version of the 5000, which
>is supposed to be supported. I assumed (mistakenly) that the CPU would tell the
>mobo what it was and what it needed.

Fishcakes!! I'm getting threads mixed up, maybe even groups. I thought
this was about the 6400+, sorry I'll try and keep up in future :-)

--
Regards - Rodney Pont