Re: Any really good, reliable, easy to use disk imaging programsfor Win 7/64bit?

iws

      12th Sep 2010
On 9/9/2010 4:48 PM, Smarty wrote:

> I have been using Acronis True Image 2010 and most of the earlier
> versions for many years, and am finding the latest version to be buggy
> and the user interface to be cluttered.
>
> Is there any really good, very reliable disk imaging and recovery
> program out there to take the place of Acronis?
>
> In the past I have used Ghost, Powerquest DriveImage, and a few others,
> but until recently Acronis seemed to work well, was fairly fast, and
> had few if any bugs. The newest 2010 version has been more problems
> than I am willing to deal with.
>
> I would very much appreciate any suggestions. Thanks very much.

Acronis TI 2009 apparently works with Win 7/64 bit. Maybe you can get
your hands on a copy.

wilby

      13th Sep 2010
On 9/12/2010 1:17 PM, iws wrote:
> On 9/9/2010 4:48 PM, Smarty wrote:
>>
>> I have been using Acronis True Image 2010 and most of the earlier
>> versions for many years, and am finding the latest version to be buggy
>> and the user interface to be cluttered.
>>
>> Is there any really good, very reliable disk imaging and recovery
>> program out there to take the place of Acronis?
>>
>> In the past I have used Ghost, Powerquest DriveImage, and a few others,
>> but until recently Acronis seemed to work well, was fairly fast, and
>> had few if any bugs. The newest 2010 version has been more problems
>> than I am willing to deal with.
>>
>> I would very much appreciate any suggestions. Thanks very much.
>>

> Acronis TI 2009 apparently works with Win 7/64 bit. Maybe you can get
> your hands on a copy.

Acronis True Image Home ver 2009 will work very well with Windows 7-64
but only if you update the Acronis to build 9809.

When updated, a user can open image files and copy files that way, etc.

Build 9809 is a free update to TI 2009 so getting set up is easy if you
already own ver 2009.

I am using ver 2009 build 9809 and have no plans to upgrade to 2010 or
anything else until I'm forced to.

Don't forget to make a new boot CD when you update TI.

Wilby

wilby

      15th Sep 2010
On 9/13/2010 7:27 PM, Smarty wrote:
> wilby wrote:

>>> Acronis TI 2009 apparently works with Win 7/64 bit. Maybe you can
>>> get your hands on a copy.

>> Acronis True Image Home ver 2009 will work very well with Windows
>> 7-64 but only if you update the Acronis to build 9809.
>>
>> When updated, a user can open image files and copy files that way,
>> etc.
>> Wilby

> Thanks Wilby,
> And can I also assume that ATI2009 can also do backups in a Windows 7
> 64 bit environment? I want to not only "open image files, copy files,
> etc." but also have the full set of backup capabilities. My build of
> ATI2009 cannot do backups of Windows 7/64 bit, and I got the impression
> (perhaps the wrong impression) from the Acronis and other websites that
> ATI2009 cannot do backups in Windows 7/64 bit.

Smarty:

What you mention was correct until build 9809 was released. I was
surprised that Acronis released this update because they were already
promoting version 2010.

My desktop runs Windows 7-64 and my Acronis 2009 build 9809 does perfect
images and restores them as well, I always restore to a blank hard drive
to prove to myself that I'm safe in an emergency with a crashed hard drive.

Be very careful with win 7 images. Some (not all) installations have a
small "reserved" 100 MB partition that must be backed up, and also
restored as the active partition. Restore that one first as active
partition and then your normal "C:" partition.

Note: I have not tried to use 2009 to do "clones" so I don't know it
that will work on win 64.

You can search the Acronis forum for related information.

http://forum.acronis.com/forums/acro...-true-image-ho

Don't expect much help from Acronis help tools such as calling them or
even their staff answering forum posts. Fortunately there are
knowledgeable users that post there.

Wilby