RAID install on an existing array using RC1 (32+64)

tcpaulh

      3rd Sep 2006
Here's an odd one. I've downloaded the latest RC1 nforce drivers and tried
installing both 32 and 64 bit versions of Vista RC1 (clean install) but they
show the same problem on my 4*250GB SATA RAID0 array. Motherboard is a DFI
SLI-D.

Before and after using 'Load Driver' during setup it just shows only 3 of
the 4 drives separately. The array currently has XP Pro on it as well as a
data partition, is shown as healthy and boots fine but vista only sees 3 of
the 4 drives.

It doesn't look like a driver issue as for some reason during install it
shows Disk 0,1 and 3 but doesn't show disk 2 at all. I know that the RC1
drivers are not happy running on a motherboard with mixed SATA/IDE raid
function but these problems present before selecting a RAID driver.

I'm confused as the 4 disk array boots fine into Windows XP which is
currently installed.

I've done some more troubleshooting :-

1. ran chkdsk /f on the array (took forever) - no problems
2. Ran the Samsung HUTIL on each (SP2504C) drive - no problems
3. Updated the BIOS on each drive
4. Reset the (latest) motherboard BIOS
5. Reflashed with older motherboard BIOS - same result

Vista RC1 5600 (both 32 and 64bit) still only show three drives both before
and after choosing to 'Load Driver'.

Has anyone had success with a RAID install on an existing array using RC1?

Dennis Pack x64, v64B2 \(5384\), OPP2007B2

      4th Sep 2006
tcpaulh:
If you used partitioning software like Partition Magic 8, verify
that disk 2 isn't hidden. I don't have RC1 yet but I have various version up
to PRC1 installed on Nvidia raid 1. If you're using a 2 disk array what is
showing would be proper because a raid array would only show up as one drive
during installation and in disk management. A habit that I developed during
testing x64 was to label each partition so that there would be less
confusion during installation and the wrong partition used. I don't know if
raid 0 is supported but I know that mixed PATA (IDE) & SATA won't be
recognized.

"tcpaulh" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:ClHKg.6708$(E-Mail Removed)...
> Here's an odd one. I've downloaded the latest RC1 nforce drivers and tried
> installing both 32 and 64 bit versions of Vista RC1 (clean install) but
> they
> show the same problem on my 4*250GB SATA RAID0 array. Motherboard is a DFI
> SLI-D.
>
> Before and after using 'Load Driver' during setup it just shows only 3 of
> the 4 drives separately. The array currently has XP Pro on it as well as a
> data partition, is shown as healthy and boots fine but vista only sees 3
> of
> the 4 drives.
>
> It doesn't look like a driver issue as for some reason during install it
> shows Disk 0,1 and 3 but doesn't show disk 2 at all. I know that the RC1
> drivers are not happy running on a motherboard with mixed SATA/IDE raid
> function but these problems present before selecting a RAID driver.
>
> I'm confused as the 4 disk array boots fine into Windows XP which is
> currently installed.
>
> I've done some more troubleshooting :-
>
> 1. ran chkdsk /f on the array (took forever) - no problems
> 2. Ran the Samsung HUTIL on each (SP2504C) drive - no problems
> 3. Updated the BIOS on each drive
> 4. Reset the (latest) motherboard BIOS
> 5. Reflashed with older motherboard BIOS - same result
>
> Vista RC1 5600 (both 32 and 64bit) still only show three drives both
> before
> and after choosing to 'Load Driver'.
>
> Has anyone had success with a RAID install on an existing array using RC1?

RonK

      4th Sep 2006
You may have the wrong drivers on the floppy.
Make sure they are the sataraid drivers.

For the x86 Vista - The floppy should have these files on it:

disk1
nvatabus.sys
nvraid.sys
txtsetup.oem
idecoi.dll
nvraid.inf
nvraidco.dll

"tcpaulh" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:ClHKg.6708$(E-Mail Removed)...
> Here's an odd one. I've downloaded the latest RC1 nforce drivers and tried
> installing both 32 and 64 bit versions of Vista RC1 (clean install) but
> they
> show the same problem on my 4*250GB SATA RAID0 array. Motherboard is a DFI
> SLI-D.
>
> Before and after using 'Load Driver' during setup it just shows only 3 of
> the 4 drives separately. The array currently has XP Pro on it as well as a
> data partition, is shown as healthy and boots fine but vista only sees 3
> of
> the 4 drives.
>
> It doesn't look like a driver issue as for some reason during install it
> shows Disk 0,1 and 3 but doesn't show disk 2 at all. I know that the RC1
> drivers are not happy running on a motherboard with mixed SATA/IDE raid
> function but these problems present before selecting a RAID driver.
>
> I'm confused as the 4 disk array boots fine into Windows XP which is
> currently installed.
>
> I've done some more troubleshooting :-
>
> 1. ran chkdsk /f on the array (took forever) - no problems
> 2. Ran the Samsung HUTIL on each (SP2504C) drive - no problems
> 3. Updated the BIOS on each drive
> 4. Reset the (latest) motherboard BIOS
> 5. Reflashed with older motherboard BIOS - same result
>
> Vista RC1 5600 (both 32 and 64bit) still only show three drives both
> before
> and after choosing to 'Load Driver'.
>
> Has anyone had success with a RAID install on an existing array using RC1?

tcpaulh

      4th Sep 2006
Thanks for the replies. It's not a driver issue as only 3 of the four disks
are shown before attempting to load a driver. None of the disks are hidden.
The entire 4 disk array works perfectly under XP.

I'm now wondering if this is an RC1 bug. If anyone has been able to install
RC1 to an existing RAID array then it might shed some light on it.

"RonK" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> You may have the wrong drivers on the floppy.
> Make sure they are the sataraid drivers.
>

> For the x86 Vista - The floppy should have these files on it:
>
> disk1
> nvatabus.sys
> nvraid.sys
> txtsetup.oem
> idecoi.dll
> nvraid.inf
> nvraidco.dll

Dennis Pack x64, v64B2 \(5384\), OPP2007B2

      4th Sep 2006
tcpaulh:
I found a link about Nvidia raid in a posting from June, 2006 which
was just updated.
http://www.nforcershq.com/forum/vist...500dfd10ae7215
gives some answers but isn't specific about raid 0 or raid 1. I wish that I
had an answer about raid 0 but I've never used it and raid 1 works. I'll
post again if I can find any other information.

"tcpaulh" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:R0TKg.3283$(E-Mail Removed)...
> Thanks for the replies. It's not a driver issue as only 3 of the four
> disks are shown before attempting to load a driver. None of the disks are
> hidden. The entire 4 disk array works perfectly under XP.
>
> I'm now wondering if this is an RC1 bug. If anyone has been able to
> install RC1 to an existing RAID array then it might shed some light on it.
>

> "RonK" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:(E-Mail Removed)...
>> You may have the wrong drivers on the floppy.
>> Make sure they are the sataraid drivers.
>>

>> For the x86 Vista - The floppy should have these files on it:
>>
>> disk1
>> nvatabus.sys
>> nvraid.sys
>> txtsetup.oem
>> idecoi.dll
>> nvraid.inf
>> nvraidco.dll

tcpaulh

      4th Sep 2006
I'll give it a shot and report back. Thanks

>"Dennis Pack x64, v64B2 (5384), OPP2007B2" <(E-Mail Removed)>
>wrote in message news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> tcpaulh:
> I found a link about Nvidia raid in a posting from June, 2006 which
> was just updated.
> http://www.nforcershq.com/forum/vist...500dfd10ae7215
> gives some answers but isn't specific about raid 0 or raid 1. I wish that
> I had an answer about raid 0 but I've never used it and raid 1 works. I'll
> post again if I can find any other information.

PaulH

      4th Sep 2006
Well that worked. I'm now posting from Windows Mail (which doesn't support
hotmail accounts - a minor niggle). in RC1 32bit. Thanks for all the help.

It seems that at least for me that installing RC1 on an existing nforce4
RAID array from boot off the DVD is a no go. Not good news for those
building their own rig who dont have a copy of XP to use as a springboard
into Vista. The install took a very long time (over 1.5 hours) although I
turned off my AV. Most of the time was spent copying files. On the plus
side, all my devices so far (starting with a minimal set) were recognised
and configured automatically with the slight caveat that Microsoft Update
wanted to install a USB Root Hub driver although it was already working fine
and the new driver failed to load.

"tcpaulh" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:gaYKg.4688$(E-Mail Removed)...
> I'll give it a shot and report back. Thanks
>

>>"Dennis Pack x64, v64B2 (5384), OPP2007B2" <(E-Mail Removed)>
>>wrote in message
>>news:(E-Mail Removed)...
>> tcpaulh:
>> I found a link about Nvidia raid in a posting from June, 2006
>> which was just updated.
>> http://www.nforcershq.com/forum/vist...500dfd10ae7215
>> gives some answers but isn't specific about raid 0 or raid 1. I wish that
>> I had an answer about raid 0 but I've never used it and raid 1 works.
>> I'll post again if I can find any other information.

Dennis Pack x64, v64B2 \(5384\), OPP2007B2

      5th Sep 2006
Paul:
Thank you for the feedback about raid 0 working. I knew that raid 1
worked but didn't know if raid 0 was supported.