Raid 0 & 3 drives? Install OS on RAID or not?

Ron

      1st Sep 2003
I'm setting up an XP RAID 0 system with 3 drives, two 10k Raptors
(RAID), and a 7200 RPM 80gig drive.

Should I put the OS on the RAID Raptors and use the 80gig for backing
up the RAID volume?

Or should I put XP on the 80 gig non-RAID drive and devote the
remainder of the drive (another partition) to backing up the RAID
twins, which would contain applications and data.

I using the system for video editing, Office work, and Flight
Simulator.

Thanks for any suggestions.

Arno Wagner

      1st Sep 2003
Previously Ron <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
> I'm setting up an XP RAID 0 system with 3 drives, two 10k Raptors
> (RAID), and a 7200 RPM 80gig drive.
> Should I put the OS on the RAID Raptors and use the 80gig for backing
> up the RAID volume?
> Or should I put XP on the 80 gig non-RAID drive and devote the
> remainder of the drive (another partition) to backing up the RAID
> twins, which would contain applications and data.
> I using the system for video editing, Office work, and Flight
> Simulator.

I would put the OS on the other disk. For video editng
you need fast transfer rates. The OS and applications are
more balanced between access time and transfer rate. And
any access to the OS/applications would signficantly slow
down the RAIDed disks.

Arno

Skyking

      1st Sep 2003
So your suggesting putting the OS on the non-RAID drive?

And applications like Office or Flight Sim?

"Arno Wagner" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:bj027q$doi5g$(E-Mail Removed)-berlin.de...
> Previously Ron <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
> > I'm setting up an XP RAID 0 system with 3 drives, two 10k Raptors
> > (RAID), and a 7200 RPM 80gig drive.
> > Should I put the OS on the RAID Raptors and use the 80gig for backing
> > up the RAID volume?
> > Or should I put XP on the 80 gig non-RAID drive and devote the
> > remainder of the drive (another partition) to backing up the RAID
> > twins, which would contain applications and data.
> > I using the system for video editing, Office work, and Flight
> > Simulator.

> I would put the OS on the other disk. For video editng
> you need fast transfer rates. The OS and applications are
> more balanced between access time and transfer rate. And
> any access to the OS/applications would signficantly slow
> down the RAIDed disks.
>
> Arno
>
> --
> For email address: lastname AT tik DOT ee DOT ethz DOT ch
> GnuPG: ID:1E25338F FP:0C30 5782 9D93 F785 E79C 0296 797F 6B50 1E25 338F
> "The more corrupt the state, the more numerous the laws" - Tacitus

Eric Gisin

      1st Sep 2003
Forget RAID 0, put the OS on a single Raptor. Get a third external drive for
backup.

"Ron" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
| I'm setting up an XP RAID 0 system with 3 drives, two 10k Raptors
| (RAID), and a 7200 RPM 80gig drive.
|
| Should I put the OS on the RAID Raptors and use the 80gig for backing
| up the RAID volume?
|
| Or should I put XP on the 80 gig non-RAID drive and devote the
| remainder of the drive (another partition) to backing up the RAID
| twins, which would contain applications and data.
|
| I using the system for video editing, Office work, and Flight
| Simulator.
|
| Thanks for any suggestions.

Skyking

      1st Sep 2003
That's exactly what I decided to do: Not going with RAID now. I decided I
have enough headaches in my life for now.

"Eric Gisin" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> Forget RAID 0, put the OS on a single Raptor. Get a third external drive

for
> backup.
>
> "Ron" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> | I'm setting up an XP RAID 0 system with 3 drives, two 10k Raptors
> | (RAID), and a 7200 RPM 80gig drive.
> |
> | Should I put the OS on the RAID Raptors and use the 80gig for backing
> | up the RAID volume?
> |
> | Or should I put XP on the 80 gig non-RAID drive and devote the
> | remainder of the drive (another partition) to backing up the RAID
> | twins, which would contain applications and data.
> |
> | I using the system for video editing, Office work, and Flight
> | Simulator.
> |
> | Thanks for any suggestions.

Folkert Rienstra

      1st Sep 2003
"Skyking" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message news:j2M4b.105761$kP.41792@fed1read03
> So your suggesting putting the OS on the non-RAID drive?

No, he is obviously suggesting that video editing was never ever possible
until the Raptors came out this year and then only when used in RAID0.

> And applications like Office or Flight Sim?
>

> "Arno Wagner" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message news:bj027q$doi5g$(E-Mail Removed)-berlin.de...
> > Previously Ron <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
> > > I'm setting up an XP RAID 0 system with 3 drives, two 10k Raptors
> > > (RAID), and a 7200 RPM 80gig drive.
> > > Should I put the OS on the RAID Raptors and use the 80gig for backing
> > > up the RAID volume?
> > > Or should I put XP on the 80 gig non-RAID drive and devote the
> > > remainder of the drive (another partition) to backing up the RAID
> > > twins, which would contain applications and data.
> > > I using the system for video editing, Office work, and Flight
> > > Simulator.

> > I would put the OS on the other disk. For video editng
> > you need fast transfer rates. The OS and applications are
> > more balanced between access time and transfer rate. And
> > any access to the OS/applications would signficantly slow
> > down the RAIDed disks.
> >
> > Arno
> >
> > --
> > For email address: lastname AT tik DOT ee DOT ethz DOT ch
> > GnuPG: ID:1E25338F FP:0C30 5782 9D93 F785 E79C 0296 797F 6B50 1E25 338F
> > "The more corrupt the state, the more numerous the laws" - Tacitus

Arno Wagner

      2nd Sep 2003
Previously Skyking <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
> So your suggesting putting the OS on the non-RAID drive?

Yes. Better reliability and much less interference
with the video-editing software. If it where only
two disks, I would advise puttoing OS and video
editing on separate disks.

> And applications like Office or Flight Sim?

The non-RAID disk as well, because of reliability.
They will not benefit much from a faster disk anyway.
But this is non-critical, unless video-editing and
other applications are run at the same time, in which
case they should not be on the same disk as the video
files.

Arno