PC Review


Reply
Thread Tools Rate Thread

Radeon 9600XT and madden 2005 problems.

 
 
Jeff
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      2nd Oct 2004
Hi.

I have the 9600xt and madden 2005 freezes after playing for a while.
A couple times, I got it to go back to the desktop by hitting the
windows button on the keyboard. When I did, it had a screen up saying
VPU recover has reset the video driver. Sometimes, it will simply
lock up with the sound in an endless loop, and I have to reboot, other
times, it will reboot automatically. Other times, when I get it to go
back to the desk top, I can then maximize the game again and it will
continue working. Some have said that I need to shut off the
second monitor option but I don't know how. I only use one monitor.
In device manager, it has two cards listed, with one saying
"secondary" in the title. I have tried everything. I have updated
the MB bios, used the catalyst new 4.9, and even went back to 4.8
because the notes in Madden say it works with that version. I have
switched sound card drivers, I have disabled agp fast writes, I have
tried so many things. I had service PACK 2 INSTALLED FOR XP, SO i
UNINSTALLED THAT, STILL NO CHANGE.

Please, can anyone give me some suggestions? Madden also says in is
not compatible with "ATI smoothvision" How do I turn of the second
monitor option, and what is smoothvision?

Please help!!

Thanks

Jeff

System

Asus p4sdx with 512 of corsair ram in dual channel mode
Audigy platinum sound (I have used both the kx project drivers, and
the creative drivers, no change)
80 gig drives.
Pentium 4 2.0 ghz
 
Reply With Quote
 
 
 
 
johns
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      2nd Oct 2004
Under SmartGart, turn off fast writes AND set AGP
to 4x. You have to do both, or you will crash in modern
games. Put SP2 back on. If SP2 firewall says anything
about a program trying to talk out, deny it, and check
that it is legit. I suspect that if you remove anything, it
should be to uninstall the ATI drivers, and do a search
for any remnants of those drivers, and delete them.
Then put 4.8 on. I assume you loaded your chipset
drivers during the OS install. If not, WinXP might
go get them first time you connect out, so several reboots
may bring the system performance up a lot. I see that
all the time. AV goes without question.

johns


 
Reply With Quote
 
 
 
 
Jeff
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      3rd Oct 2004
On Sat, 2 Oct 2004 10:54:35 -0700, "johns" <(E-Mail Removed)>
wrote:

>Under SmartGart, turn off fast writes AND set AGP
>to 4x. You have to do both, or you will crash in modern
>games. Put SP2 back on. If SP2 firewall says anything
>about a program trying to talk out, deny it, and check
>that it is legit. I suspect that if you remove anything, it
>should be to uninstall the ATI drivers, and do a search
>for any remnants of those drivers, and delete them.
>Then put 4.8 on. I assume you loaded your chipset
>drivers during the OS install. If not, WinXP might
>go get them first time you connect out, so several reboots
>may bring the system performance up a lot. I see that
>all the time. AV goes without question.
>
>johns
>


Thanks for the reply, but I have had two freezes since trying your
suggestions. I can't say that I'm upset, cause I wouldn't be too
happy if I paid money for a 8x card that can use fast write, but
couldn't use it at 8x. Shouldn't I get real mad at ATI if my 8x card
has to be run at 4x and no fast writes?

Anyway, I have done what you have suggested, and I am still testing,
but it froze once while playing alone, and once while playing on the
internet. I am out of things to try.
any more suggestions?

Thanks

 
Reply With Quote
 
Good Man
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      3rd Oct 2004
Jeff <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in news:rtotl0hlhm4ilkeu0d57rr7jfte150qese@
4ax.com:

> Hi.
>
> I have the 9600xt and madden 2005 freezes after playing for a while.
> A couple times, I got it to go back to the desktop by hitting the
> windows button on the keyboard. When I did, it had a screen up saying
> VPU recover has reset the video driver. Sometimes, it will simply
> lock up with the sound in an endless loop, and I have to reboot, other
> times, it will reboot automatically. Other times, when I get it to go
> back to the desk top, I can then maximize the game again and it will
> continue working. Some have said that I need to shut off the
> second monitor option but I don't know how. I only use one monitor.
> In device manager, it has two cards listed, with one saying
> "secondary" in the title. I have tried everything. I have updated
> the MB bios, used the catalyst new 4.9, and even went back to 4.8
> because the notes in Madden say it works with that version. I have
> switched sound card drivers, I have disabled agp fast writes, I have
> tried so many things. I had service PACK 2 INSTALLED FOR XP, SO i
> UNINSTALLED THAT, STILL NO CHANGE.
>
> Please, can anyone give me some suggestions? Madden also says in is
> not compatible with "ATI smoothvision" How do I turn of the second
> monitor option, and what is smoothvision?


i can offer the following pointers:

a) you can't turn off the 'secondary monitor' listed in hardware
manager, because your video card has two monitor outputs. it will
always be listed.

b) turn off VPU recover

c) go to my computer/properties... under "advanced" then "startup and
recovery" "settings" uncheck "automatically restart" - when you
crash, at least you will get some info about what went wrong. then
later you can go and look at your system alerts, which will further
describe what exactly crashed (might in fact be nothing video-card
related)

d) dunno about the fast-write, 4x stuff that has been suggested.. the
card should work fine at 8x on your board

e) smoothvision is anti-aliasing/anistropic filtering(sp)... turn it all
off.


good luck. if nothing else works, try Madden 2004


 
Reply With Quote
 
Lynne
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      14th Oct 2004

"Good Man" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:Xns957781EEE23D8sonicyouth@216.196.97.132...
> Jeff <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in news:rtotl0hlhm4ilkeu0d57rr7jfte150qese@
> 4ax.com:
>
>> Hi.
>>
>> I have the 9600xt and madden 2005 freezes after playing for a while.
>> A couple times, I got it to go back to the desktop by hitting the
>> windows button on the keyboard. When I did, it had a screen up saying
>> VPU recover has reset the video driver. Sometimes, it will simply
>> lock up with the sound in an endless loop, and I have to reboot, other
>> times, it will reboot automatically. Other times, when I get it to go
>> back to the desk top, I can then maximize the game again and it will
>> continue working. Some have said that I need to shut off the
>> second monitor option but I don't know how. I only use one monitor.
>> In device manager, it has two cards listed, with one saying
>> "secondary" in the title. I have tried everything. I have updated
>> the MB bios, used the catalyst new 4.9, and even went back to 4.8
>> because the notes in Madden say it works with that version. I have
>> switched sound card drivers, I have disabled agp fast writes, I have
>> tried so many things. I had service PACK 2 INSTALLED FOR XP, SO i
>> UNINSTALLED THAT, STILL NO CHANGE.
>>
>> Please, can anyone give me some suggestions? Madden also says in is
>> not compatible with "ATI smoothvision" How do I turn of the second
>> monitor option, and what is smoothvision?

>
> i can offer the following pointers:
>
> a) you can't turn off the 'secondary monitor' listed in hardware
> manager, because your video card has two monitor outputs. it will
> always be listed.
>
> b) turn off VPU recover
>
> c) go to my computer/properties... under "advanced" then "startup and
> recovery" "settings" uncheck "automatically restart" - when you
> crash, at least you will get some info about what went wrong. then
> later you can go and look at your system alerts, which will further
> describe what exactly crashed (might in fact be nothing video-card
> related)
>
> d) dunno about the fast-write, 4x stuff that has been suggested.. the
> card should work fine at 8x on your board
>
> e) smoothvision is anti-aliasing/anistropic filtering(sp)... turn it all
> off.
>
>
> good luck. if nothing else works, try Madden 2004
>

Mmmm very odd! Madden 2005 for the PC doesn't come out till the 15th
October!
If your using a pirate copy, then that perhaps may be your main problem. In
the U.S where the software was released early, they became aware of the
issue of conflicting problems with graphics cards. The UK release may have
had further testing in order to resolve the situ, hence such a late release
date after the game was released on other platforms.
If you do have a pucker copy then I apologies most sincerely.

For me, I'm popping out to get my copy tomorrow from one of the shops in the
London/Sussex area.


 
Reply With Quote
 
Andrew
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      14th Oct 2004
On Thu, 14 Oct 2004 19:38:02 +0100, "Lynne" <(E-Mail Removed)>
wrote:

>Mmmm very odd! Madden 2005 for the PC doesn't come out till the 15th
>October!


The OP is in the US, don't assume everyone on Usenet is in the same
country as you and that games are released everywhere at the same
time.
--
Andrew, contact via interpleb.blogspot.com
Help make Usenet a better place: English is read downwards,
please don't top post. Trim replies to quote only relevant text.
Check groups.google.com before asking an obvious question.
 
Reply With Quote
 
Lynne
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      16th Oct 2004

"Andrew" <spamtrap@localhost.> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> On Thu, 14 Oct 2004 19:38:02 +0100, "Lynne" <(E-Mail Removed)>
> wrote:
>
>>Mmmm very odd! Madden 2005 for the PC doesn't come out till the 15th
>>October!

>
> The OP is in the US, don't assume everyone on Usenet is in the same
> country as you and that games are released everywhere at the same
> time.
> --


Jeff
Have you got the 7meg patch for the game it might help? It should show that
Madden software is version 4. Don't know if that helps. Got the game today
(15th) and the game is running very smoothly with no visual problems, with
the patch added b4 tinkering!!


 
Reply With Quote
 
 
 
Reply

Thread Tools
Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread:

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Security programs 2005 - , Firewall programs 2005 -, Antivirus programs 2005 -, APPDEV DOT NET SECURITY, Linux Security and Firewall programs 2005 -, CiscoWorks ( CW ) Security programs 2005 - , futa Microsoft Access Security 3 2nd Mar 2005 05:04 AM
Security programs 2005 - , Firewall programs 2005 -, Antivirus programs 2005 -, APPDEV DOT NET SECURITY, Linux Security and Firewall programs 2005 -, CiscoWorks ( CW ) Security programs 2005 - , futa Anti-Virus 0 25th Feb 2005 02:30 PM
Madden 2005 and Uninstall Problems =?Utf-8?B?emV3ZGFkYQ==?= Windows XP Help 0 2nd Nov 2004 05:14 AM
McAfee 2005 All In One, McAfee AntiSpyware V1.0 2005, McAfee Personal Firewall Plus V6.0 2005, McAfee QuickClean V5.0 2005, McAfee SpamKiller V6.0 2005, McAfee VirusScan V9.0 2005, new !, other code_fu Anti-Virus 0 1st Oct 2004 11:00 PM
Radeon 9600XT vs. Radeon 9500 Pro NBK ATI Video Cards 10 5th Oct 2003 05:48 PM


Features
 

Advertising
 

Newsgroups
 


All times are GMT +1. The time now is 02:13 AM.