QX3 Microscope

Terry Pinnell

      24th Apr 2009
This is a bit of a longshot for both newsgroups but maybe one of the
experts here has at some time used the INTEL Digital Blue QX3
Microscope and can offer some advice please?

Years ago I used this successfully on an old W98 PC. With that machine
recently consigned to the local tip, today I dusted off the pristine
looking QX3 and tried it on my two remaining PCs. After re-installing
with the 97 MB 'XP update' downloaded from INTEL, I get similar
problems on both my AMD Athlon XP1800 (XP Home) and my Quad Core Q9450
2.66 GHz (XP Pro). In both cases the device just doesn't seem to
exist. I get messages telling me to it's not plugged in when I try to
run the QX3 viewing software. And I can't see it in Device Manager.

It's intended for kids from 5 upwards (I qualify) so made to last. But
must I conclude that, despite its robustness it's a hardware fault,
as the trouble-shooting guide appears to imply? And that there's
nothing left to try? (I removed its 9 retaining screws but could see
nothing obviously amiss.) Reluctant to bin it ... ;-(

--
Terry, East Grinstead, UK

BigH2K

      24th Apr 2009

"Terry Pinnell" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> This is a bit of a longshot for both newsgroups but maybe one of the
> experts here has at some time used the INTEL Digital Blue QX3
> Microscope and can offer some advice please?
>
> Years ago I used this successfully on an old W98 PC. With that machine
> recently consigned to the local tip, today I dusted off the pristine
> looking QX3 and tried it on my two remaining PCs. After re-installing
> with the 97 MB 'XP update' downloaded from INTEL, I get similar
> problems on both my AMD Athlon XP1800 (XP Home) and my Quad Core Q9450
> 2.66 GHz (XP Pro). In both cases the device just doesn't seem to
> exist. I get messages telling me to it's not plugged in when I try to
> run the QX3 viewing software. And I can't see it in Device Manager.
>
> It's intended for kids from 5 upwards (I qualify) so made to last. But
> must I conclude that, despite its robustness it's a hardware fault,
> as the trouble-shooting guide appears to imply? And that there's
> nothing left to try? (I removed its 9 retaining screws but could see
> nothing obviously amiss.) Reluctant to bin it ... ;-(
>
> --
> Terry, East Grinstead, UK

I've installed these at one of my schools and had them working flawlessly
under XP. I've just searched through my drivers disc wallet and can't find a
disc for it so I assume I dl the drivers from Intel, it's been a few years.
ISTR that i had a similar problem, is the software supposed to be installed
before connecting the deveice? Possible I installed it in safe mode.

Anyhoo, my point is it does work under XP so don't give up, if I remember
I'll have a look at it when I go into school next Thursday and so if I can't
suss out how it's done.

Grinder

      24th Apr 2009
Terry Pinnell wrote:
> This is a bit of a longshot for both newsgroups but maybe one of the
> experts here has at some time used the INTEL Digital Blue QX3
> Microscope and can offer some advice please?
>
> Years ago I used this successfully on an old W98 PC. With that machine
> recently consigned to the local tip, today I dusted off the pristine
> looking QX3 and tried it on my two remaining PCs. After re-installing
> with the 97 MB 'XP update' downloaded from INTEL, I get similar
> problems on both my AMD Athlon XP1800 (XP Home) and my Quad Core Q9450
> 2.66 GHz (XP Pro). In both cases the device just doesn't seem to
> exist. I get messages telling me to it's not plugged in when I try to
> run the QX3 viewing software. And I can't see it in Device Manager.
>
> It's intended for kids from 5 upwards (I qualify) so made to last. But
> must I conclude that, despite its robustness it's a hardware fault,
> as the trouble-shooting guide appears to imply? And that there's
> nothing left to try? (I removed its 9 retaining screws but could see
> nothing obviously amiss.) Reluctant to bin it ... ;-(

I had one of those. It looks cool and *is* cool. It would be
interesting to see if a utility like USBView can see the device when
it's plugged in. As far as I know, you don't have to have the proper
drivers for it to be visible there. If it's not, that I would suspect
something's wrong with the device.

http://www.ftdichip.com/Resources/Utilities.htm

Terry Pinnell

      24th Apr 2009
"BigH2K" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

>"Terry Pinnell" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
>news:(E-Mail Removed)...
>> This is a bit of a longshot for both newsgroups but maybe one of the
>> experts here has at some time used the INTEL Digital Blue QX3
>> Microscope and can offer some advice please?
>>
>> Years ago I used this successfully on an old W98 PC. With that machine
>> recently consigned to the local tip, today I dusted off the pristine
>> looking QX3 and tried it on my two remaining PCs. After re-installing
>> with the 97 MB 'XP update' downloaded from INTEL, I get similar
>> problems on both my AMD Athlon XP1800 (XP Home) and my Quad Core Q9450
>> 2.66 GHz (XP Pro). In both cases the device just doesn't seem to
>> exist. I get messages telling me to it's not plugged in when I try to
>> run the QX3 viewing software. And I can't see it in Device Manager.
>>
>> It's intended for kids from 5 upwards (I qualify) so made to last. But
>> must I conclude that, despite its robustness it's a hardware fault,
>> as the trouble-shooting guide appears to imply? And that there's
>> nothing left to try? (I removed its 9 retaining screws but could see
>> nothing obviously amiss.) Reluctant to bin it ... ;-(
>>
>> --
>> Terry, East Grinstead, UK

>I've installed these at one of my schools and had them working flawlessly
>under XP. I've just searched through my drivers disc wallet and can't find a
>disc for it so I assume I dl the drivers from Intel, it's been a few years.
>ISTR that i had a similar problem, is the software supposed to be installed
>before connecting the deveice? Possible I installed it in safe mode.
>
>Anyhoo, my point is it does work under XP so don't give up, if I remember
>I'll have a look at it when I go into school next Thursday and so if I can't
>suss out how it's done.

Thanks, that's reassuring. Although in my case I seem to have
exhausted all the obvious approaches. I will try again in Safe mode
too, as I hadn't thought of that. If only the USB cable wasn't
hard-wired I'd try replacing that, as all the evidence appears to be
of a 'dead' device - no light, not recognised by the software.

So much for Plug 'n Play ...

--
Terry, East Grinstead, UK

Grinder

      24th Apr 2009
Terry Pinnell wrote:
> "BigH2K" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>
>> "Terry Pinnell" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
>> news:(E-Mail Removed)...
>>> This is a bit of a longshot for both newsgroups but maybe one of the
>>> experts here has at some time used the INTEL Digital Blue QX3
>>> Microscope and can offer some advice please?
>>>
>>> Years ago I used this successfully on an old W98 PC. With that machine
>>> recently consigned to the local tip, today I dusted off the pristine
>>> looking QX3 and tried it on my two remaining PCs. After re-installing
>>> with the 97 MB 'XP update' downloaded from INTEL, I get similar
>>> problems on both my AMD Athlon XP1800 (XP Home) and my Quad Core Q9450
>>> 2.66 GHz (XP Pro). In both cases the device just doesn't seem to
>>> exist. I get messages telling me to it's not plugged in when I try to
>>> run the QX3 viewing software. And I can't see it in Device Manager.
>>>
>>> It's intended for kids from 5 upwards (I qualify) so made to last. But
>>> must I conclude that, despite its robustness it's a hardware fault,
>>> as the trouble-shooting guide appears to imply? And that there's
>>> nothing left to try? (I removed its 9 retaining screws but could see
>>> nothing obviously amiss.) Reluctant to bin it ... ;-(
>>>
>>> --
>>> Terry, East Grinstead, UK

>> I've installed these at one of my schools and had them working flawlessly
>> under XP. I've just searched through my drivers disc wallet and can't find a
>> disc for it so I assume I dl the drivers from Intel, it's been a few years.
>> ISTR that i had a similar problem, is the software supposed to be installed
>> before connecting the deveice? Possible I installed it in safe mode.
>>
>> Anyhoo, my point is it does work under XP so don't give up, if I remember
>> I'll have a look at it when I go into school next Thursday and so if I can't
>> suss out how it's done.
>>

> Thanks, that's reassuring. Although in my case I seem to have
> exhausted all the obvious approaches. I will try again in Safe mode
> too, as I hadn't thought of that. If only the USB cable wasn't
> hard-wired I'd try replacing that, as all the evidence appears to be
> of a 'dead' device - no light, not recognised by the software.
>
> So much for Plug 'n Play ...

$29 is significantly more than zero, but you can still get a QX3:

http://cgi.ebay.com/Nice-Intel-Play-QX3-USB-Microscope-FREE-FEDEX-GROUND_W0QQitemZ120411175385QQcmdZViewItemQQptZLH_DefaultDomain_0?hash=item120411175385&_trksid=p3286.c0.m14&_trkparms=66%3A4|65%3A1|39%3A1|240%3A1318|301%3A1|293%3A1|294%3A200

Paul

      24th Apr 2009
Terry Pinnell wrote:
> "BigH2K" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>
>> "Terry Pinnell" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
>> news:(E-Mail Removed)...
>>> This is a bit of a longshot for both newsgroups but maybe one of the
>>> experts here has at some time used the INTEL Digital Blue QX3
>>> Microscope and can offer some advice please?
>>>
>>> Years ago I used this successfully on an old W98 PC. With that machine
>>> recently consigned to the local tip, today I dusted off the pristine
>>> looking QX3 and tried it on my two remaining PCs. After re-installing
>>> with the 97 MB 'XP update' downloaded from INTEL, I get similar
>>> problems on both my AMD Athlon XP1800 (XP Home) and my Quad Core Q9450
>>> 2.66 GHz (XP Pro). In both cases the device just doesn't seem to
>>> exist. I get messages telling me to it's not plugged in when I try to
>>> run the QX3 viewing software. And I can't see it in Device Manager.
>>>
>>> It's intended for kids from 5 upwards (I qualify) so made to last. But
>>> must I conclude that, despite its robustness it's a hardware fault,
>>> as the trouble-shooting guide appears to imply? And that there's
>>> nothing left to try? (I removed its 9 retaining screws but could see
>>> nothing obviously amiss.) Reluctant to bin it ... ;-(
>>>
>>> --
>>> Terry, East Grinstead, UK

>> I've installed these at one of my schools and had them working flawlessly
>> under XP. I've just searched through my drivers disc wallet and can't find a
>> disc for it so I assume I dl the drivers from Intel, it's been a few years.
>> ISTR that i had a similar problem, is the software supposed to be installed
>> before connecting the deveice? Possible I installed it in safe mode.
>>
>> Anyhoo, my point is it does work under XP so don't give up, if I remember
>> I'll have a look at it when I go into school next Thursday and so if I can't
>> suss out how it's done.
>>

> Thanks, that's reassuring. Although in my case I seem to have
> exhausted all the obvious approaches. I will try again in Safe mode
> too, as I hadn't thought of that. If only the USB cable wasn't
> hard-wired I'd try replacing that, as all the evidence appears to be
> of a 'dead' device - no light, not recognised by the software.
>
> So much for Plug 'n Play ...

Try looking for it with UVCView. This used to be on the Microsoft site,
but was taken down. It looks like this archived copy is fixed now.
It has the right size (167,232 bytes) and md5sum = 93244d84d79314898e62d21cecc4ca5e
compared to the copy I got a few years ago.

http://web.archive.org/web/200703071...VCView.x86.exe

What the program should do, is display config data coming from a USB device.
Depending on whether the USB device supports USB1.1 or USB2, that determine
where in the entries it is placed. If you can see your device when it is plugged
in, then the hardware is probably working.

You could get similar information from Device Manager, but the
display on UVCView may be a bit easier to deal with. With Device
Manager, there are hidden devices and the like.

Paul

andrew

      24th Apr 2009

> Thanks, that's reassuring. Although in my case I seem to have
> exhausted all the obvious approaches. I will try again in Safe mode
> too, as I hadn't thought of that. If only the USB cable wasn't
> hard-wired I'd try replacing that, as all the evidence appears to be
> of a 'dead' device - no light, not recognised by the software.
>
> So much for Plug 'n Play ...

I have this microscope and it is running in XP, IIRC it needed to be
installed with a disk

There is still some online documentation at

http://support.intel.com/support/int.../qx3/index.htm

I'll look for an instal cd if you have no luck

AJH

Terry Pinnell

      25th Apr 2009
Paul <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

>Terry Pinnell wrote:
>> "BigH2K" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>>
>>> "Terry Pinnell" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
>>> news:(E-Mail Removed)...

>>> I've installed these at one of my schools and had them working flawlessly
>>> under XP. I've just searched through my drivers disc wallet and can't find a
>>> disc for it so I assume I dl the drivers from Intel, it's been a few years.
>>> ISTR that i had a similar problem, is the software supposed to be installed
>>> before connecting the deveice? Possible I installed it in safe mode.
>>>
>>> Anyhoo, my point is it does work under XP so don't give up, if I remember
>>> I'll have a look at it when I go into school next Thursday and so if I can't
>>> suss out how it's done.
>>>

>> Thanks, that's reassuring. Although in my case I seem to have
>> exhausted all the obvious approaches. I will try again in Safe mode
>> too, as I hadn't thought of that. If only the USB cable wasn't
>> hard-wired I'd try replacing that, as all the evidence appears to be
>> of a 'dead' device - no light, not recognised by the software.
>>
>> So much for Plug 'n Play ...
>>

>Try looking for it with UVCView. This used to be on the Microsoft site,
>but was taken down. It looks like this archived copy is fixed now.
>It has the right size (167,232 bytes) and md5sum = 93244d84d79314898e62d21cecc4ca5e
>compared to the copy I got a few years ago.
>
>http://web.archive.org/web/200703071...VCView.x86.exe
>
>What the program should do, is display config data coming from a USB device.
>Depending on whether the USB device supports USB1.1 or USB2, that determine
>where in the entries it is placed. If you can see your device when it is plugged
>in, then the hardware is probably working.
>
>You could get similar information from Device Manager, but the
>display on UVCView may be a bit easier to deal with. With Device
>Manager, there are hidden devices and the like.
>
> Paul

Thanks all, those follow-ups have helped me make some encouraging
progress. I installed both tools but see that UVCView is the latest
version so I've settled on that. Initially both were showing this port
as unconnected, but after several runs the QX3 appeared. So that means
the hardware is probably OK, which is good news. (This is all on my XP
Pro Intel PC; maybe I'll get similar success on the XP Home Athlon
later.)

However, on running the application I'm getting a message that it's
unable to communicate with the microscope and suggesting I restart the
PC. Several cycles later and still no joy.

The situation could be complicated by the fact that I'm now running
the XP version, downloaded from Intel's site, on this XP Pro PC. I'll
have to check again that there are no residues from the original
CD-based setup program.

---------

I know I should strictly raise this next point as a new post, but as
it arose while using those USB viewers I hope it's OK here.

The display by UVCView is showing a yellow warning at Port 8,
apparently due to an unknown device:

My Computer
Standard OpenHCD USB Host Controller
RootHub
[Port1]
[Port2]
[Port3] : USB Composite Device
[Port4] : HP USB Sync
[Port5] : Generic USB Hub
[Port1] : USB Human Interface Device
[Port2]
[Port3]
[Port4] : USB Human Interface Device
[Port6]
[Port7] : Intel Play QX3 Microscope
[Port8] FailedEnumeration : Unknown Device <----
Standard Enhanced PCI to USB Host Controller
RootHub
[Port1] : EPSON Perfection 2480/2580
[Port2]
[Port3]
[Port4]
[Port5]
[Port6] : USB Mass Storage Device
[Port7]
[Port8]

But in Device Manager I see this, which has no yellow exclamations.

Universal Serial Bus controllers
Generic USB Hub
Standard Enhanced PCI to USB Host Controller Standard OpenHCD USB
Host Controller
Unknown Device
USB Composite Device
USB Mass Storage Device
USB Root Hub
USB Root Hub

I haven't yet identified what the 'unknown' device is, but will now
proceed to track it down. As I've raised before, I wish there was some
visual correspondence between these displays and the physical PC case
itself! Step 1 is to find which is Port 8 ;-)

--
Terry, East Grinstead, UK

Terry Pinnell

      25th Apr 2009
>Thanks all, those follow-ups have helped me make some encouraging
>progress. I installed both tools but see that UVCView is the latest
>version so I've settled on that. Initially both were showing this port
>as unconnected, but after several runs the QX3 appeared. So that means
>the hardware is probably OK, which is good news. (This is all on my XP
>Pro Intel PC; maybe I'll get similar success on the XP Home Athlon
>later.)
>
>However, on running the application I'm getting a message that it's
>unable to communicate with the microscope and suggesting I restart the
>PC. Several cycles later and still no joy.
>
>The situation could be complicated by the fact that I'm now running
>the XP version, downloaded from Intel's site, on this XP Pro PC. I'll
>have to check again that there are no residues from the original
>CD-based setup program.
>
>---------
>
>I know I should strictly raise this next point as a new post, but as
>it arose while using those USB viewers I hope it's OK here.
>
>The display by UVCView is showing a yellow warning at Port 8,
>apparently due to an unknown device:
>
>My Computer
> Standard OpenHCD USB Host Controller
> RootHub
> [Port1]
> [Port2]
> [Port3] : USB Composite Device
> [Port4] : HP USB Sync
> [Port5] : Generic USB Hub
> [Port1] : USB Human Interface Device
> [Port2]
> [Port3]
> [Port4] : USB Human Interface Device
> [Port6]
> [Port7] : Intel Play QX3 Microscope
> [Port8] FailedEnumeration : Unknown Device <----
> Standard Enhanced PCI to USB Host Controller
> RootHub
> [Port1] : EPSON Perfection 2480/2580
> [Port2]
> [Port3]
> [Port4]
> [Port5]
> [Port6] : USB Mass Storage Device
> [Port7]
> [Port8]
>
>But in Device Manager I see this, which has no yellow exclamations.
>
>Universal Serial Bus controllers
> Generic USB Hub
> Standard Enhanced PCI to USB Host Controller Standard OpenHCD USB
>Host Controller
> Unknown Device
> USB Composite Device
> USB Mass Storage Device
> USB Root Hub
> USB Root Hub
>
> I haven't yet identified what the 'unknown' device is, but will now
>proceed to track it down. As I've raised before, I wish there was some
>visual correspondence between these displays and the physical PC case
>itself! Step 1 is to find which is Port 8 ;-)

Hmm, after re-booting the situation has returned to its previous state
;-(
I get message in tray that "One of the USB devices attached to this
computer has malfunctioned, and Windows does not recognize it."
UVCView now shows Port 7 as the one with the yellow exclamation mark.

---===>Device Information<===---

ConnectionStatus: FailedEnumeration
Current Config Value: 0x00 -> Device Bus Speed: Low
Device Address: 0x00
Open Pipes: 0
*!*ERROR: No open pipes!

===>Device Descriptor<===
*!*ERROR: bLength of 0 incorrect, should be 18
bLength: 0x00
bDescriptorType: 0x00
bcdUSB: 0x0000
bDeviceClass: 0x00
*!*ERROR: Device enumeration failure

Which seems to imply that the error I reported as a separate issue was
in fact connected with this QX3 device. Although it *was* shown as a
quite separate entry!

BTW, Device Manager still has no yellow warnings.

--
Terry, East Grinstead, UK

Gerard Bok

      25th Apr 2009
On Sat, 25 Apr 2009 11:14:37 +0100, Terry Pinnell
<(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

>>However, on running the application I'm getting a message that it's
>>unable to communicate with the microscope and suggesting I restart the
>>PC.

Have you tried to run the program with all other USB devices
unplugged ?
(I have a scanner that runs fine. As long as there is no other
USB device plugged in :-)

--
Kind regards,
Gerard Bok