Question about System Partition and Active Partition

Mackenrick

      24th Jun 2010
I was trying to fix my XP computer by using a Ghost9 Image of my C drive but
I think I restored it to the wrong partition. I have two hard drives in my
computer. HD1 has C and D partitions and HD2 has G and H partitions (NTSF).
(I use G & H for backups, etc.)

I had to do the restore twice because I thought it didn't take but during
one of the restores I think I restored to the wrong drive (G Drive). I
found that I now have two drives with all the stuff that was on my C drive.
So now I have a C drive and a G drive that are almost identical.

When I look in Device Manager is shows:

Disk0 = C Primary 30GB (System) D 110GB Extended Logical

Disk1 = G Primary 29GB (Active) H 45GB Extended Logical

So my question is: Which drive am I currently booting from? Is it the C
drive that is labeled (System) or is it the G drive that is labeled (Active)?

Thank you for your help.

--
MacKenrick

Mackenrick

      24th Jun 2010
Thanks for the reply. If I'm understanding you correctly, your saying I'm
booting from the "Active" drive, which is listed Disk Management, as my G
Drive. G drive is listed as a primary partition on my second hard drive.
My Bios is set to boot from my first hard drive so I'm still confused how
this is working.
--
MacKenrick

"undisclosed" wrote:

> Its booting from the active one, although I don't see why this would of
> changed because its a bios setting and it should still be using the same
> hard drive, When you change your boot menu you don't select partitions
> just the drive.
> You cant normally make logical drives active either, is your info
> correct or is your system really confused?
> Go to computer management and go to disk management
> Or click Start > Run and type diskmgmt.msc. There you can change your
> desired partition, just make sure you get one that will boot or you'll
> have a right headache.
>

> --
> JAM_EZZ
> .

John John - MVP

      24th Jun 2010

You're booting off the "System" partition as labeled in the Disk
Management console. To open the Disk Management Console enter
diskmgmt.msc in the Start Menu Run box. You are using the Windows
installation on the "Boot" volume, as shown in the Disk Management
console. If there is no notation for the "Boot" volume it means that
the System and Boot volumes are on the same partition. You can also
obtain the information at the Command Prompt with the SET SYSTEM command.

John

Mackenrick wrote:
> Thanks for the reply. If I'm understanding you correctly, your saying I'm
> booting from the "Active" drive, which is listed Disk Management, as my G
> Drive. G drive is listed as a primary partition on my second hard drive.
> My Bios is set to boot from my first hard drive so I'm still confused how
> this is working.

Mackenrick

      25th Jun 2010
Thank you all for your input.

I've gotten contradictory replies but I think John John and Wally are
probably correct. I've come to this conclusion because:

1. The BIOS is set to boot from the Disk0 drive ("C" drive) and Disk1 ("G"
drive isn't even listed as a boot drive in the BIOS).

2. The "C" drive is listed as the (System) drive in Disk Management.
--
MacKenrick