Question about installation of windows 2000 advanced server

=?Utf-8?B?d2luMjAwMCBhZHZhbmNlZCBzZXJ2ZXI=?=

      5th Apr 2007
I recently installed the server but it didn’t allow me or give me option to
configure it into workgroup mode. I didn’t configure it to be domain server
because I wanted it to be in workgroup. It is now in workgroup by default.
But I still couldn’t get ability to set a static IP address so that I can
connect it to my other computer and see it in network place.

Can somebody help me how to change the dynamic IP address to static IP
address of win 2000 advanced server? It gave me option to give the range of
static IP addresses of the computers that I might connect but the computer
itself, the server, stayed at dynamic IP address and I am not able to change
it. It is not like windows XP, which is easy for me to do. Or is there any
way I can connect the two computers through network, windows 2000 advanced
server and windows XP.

Danny Sanders

      5th Apr 2007
> Can somebody help me how to change the dynamic IP address to static IP
> address of win 2000 advanced server? It gave me option to give the range
> of
> static IP addresses of the computers that I might connect but the computer
> itself, the server, stayed at dynamic IP address and I am not able to
> change
> it.

What do you mean you are not able to change it?

Do you know *where* to change it but there is something preventing you from
changing it when you try or you don't know where to change it?

DDS

"win2000 advanced server" <win2000 advanced
(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
>I recently installed the server but it didn't allow me or give me option to
> configure it into workgroup mode. I didn't configure it to be domain
> server
> because I wanted it to be in workgroup. It is now in workgroup by default.
> But I still couldn't get ability to set a static IP address so that I can
> connect it to my other computer and see it in network place.
>
> Can somebody help me how to change the dynamic IP address to static IP
> address of win 2000 advanced server? It gave me option to give the range
> of
> static IP addresses of the computers that I might connect but the computer
> itself, the server, stayed at dynamic IP address and I am not able to
> change
> it. It is not like windows XP, which is easy for me to do. Or is there any
> way I can connect the two computers through network, windows 2000 advanced
> server and windows XP.

=?Utf-8?B?d2luMjAwMCBhZHZhbmNlZCBzZXJ2ZXI=?=

      6th Apr 2007
thank you for asking. You mentioned it right. I do not figure out where to
change it. Where to change it and the steps how to change it would answer the
problem and if I have to ping the other computer, win XP, which I already
assigned static IP address to is for this purpose.

Samson

"Danny Sanders" wrote:

> > Can somebody help me how to change the dynamic IP address to static IP
> > address of win 2000 advanced server? It gave me option to give the range
> > of
> > static IP addresses of the computers that I might connect but the computer
> > itself, the server, stayed at dynamic IP address and I am not able to
> > change
> > it.

> What do you mean you are not able to change it?
>
> Do you know *where* to change it but there is something preventing you from
> changing it when you try or you don't know where to change it?
>

> DDS
>
> "win2000 advanced server" <win2000 advanced
> (E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> >I recently installed the server but it didn't allow me or give me option to
> > configure it into workgroup mode. I didn't configure it to be domain
> > server
> > because I wanted it to be in workgroup. It is now in workgroup by default.
> > But I still couldn't get ability to set a static IP address so that I can
> > connect it to my other computer and see it in network place.
> >
> > Can somebody help me how to change the dynamic IP address to static IP
> > address of win 2000 advanced server? It gave me option to give the range
> > of
> > static IP addresses of the computers that I might connect but the computer
> > itself, the server, stayed at dynamic IP address and I am not able to
> > change
> > it. It is not like windows XP, which is easy for me to do. Or is there any
> > way I can connect the two computers through network, windows 2000 advanced
> > server and windows XP.

Danny Sanders

      6th Apr 2007
Open control panel - network connections. Right click on the network
connection you want to set the static IP address on and select properties.
On the resulting screen, in the section that says this connection uses the
following items, select Internet Protocol TCP/IP and click on the properties
button. The next screen is where you can set IP address.

hth
DDS
"win2000 advanced server" <(E-Mail Removed)>
> thank you for asking. You mentioned it right. I do not figure out where to
> change it. Where to change it and the steps how to change it would answer
> the
> problem and if I have to ping the other computer, win XP, which I already
> assigned static IP address to is for this purpose.
>
> Samson
>
> "Danny Sanders" wrote:
>
>> > Can somebody help me how to change the dynamic IP address to static IP
>> > address of win 2000 advanced server? It gave me option to give the
>> > range
>> > of
>> > static IP addresses of the computers that I might connect but the
>> > computer
>> > itself, the server, stayed at dynamic IP address and I am not able to
>> > change
>> > it.

>> What do you mean you are not able to change it?
>>
>> Do you know *where* to change it but there is something preventing you
>> from
>> changing it when you try or you don't know where to change it?
>>

>> DDS
>>
>> "win2000 advanced server" <win2000 advanced
>> (E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
>> news:(E-Mail Removed)...
>> >I recently installed the server but it didn't allow me or give me option
>> > configure it into workgroup mode. I didn't configure it to be domain
>> > server
>> > because I wanted it to be in workgroup. It is now in workgroup by
>> > default.
>> > But I still couldn't get ability to set a static IP address so that I
>> > can
>> > connect it to my other computer and see it in network place.
>> >
>> > Can somebody help me how to change the dynamic IP address to static IP
>> > address of win 2000 advanced server? It gave me option to give the
>> > range
>> > of
>> > static IP addresses of the computers that I might connect but the
>> > computer
>> > itself, the server, stayed at dynamic IP address and I am not able to
>> > change
>> > it. It is not like windows XP, which is easy for me to do. Or is there
>> > any
>> > way I can connect the two computers through network, windows 2000
>> > server and windows XP.

=?Utf-8?B?d2luMjAwMCBhZHZhbmNlZCBzZXJ2ZXI=?=

      6th Apr 2007
That was what I did before. The potion it gives on that last screen is the
range of IP addresses. It says type IP addresses from--------- to----------.
It doesn’t even allow typing same IP address in both lines. I typed two
different IP addresses and still the computers IP address remained dynamic
and unchanged. This is unlike windows XP where at the last screen you
mentioned gives you option to change IP address, subnet and gateway
addresses.

Samson

"Danny Sanders" wrote:

> Open control panel - network connections. Right click on the network
> connection you want to set the static IP address on and select properties.
> On the resulting screen, in the section that says this connection uses the
> following items, select Internet Protocol TCP/IP and click on the properties
> button. The next screen is where you can set IP address.
>

> hth
> DDS
> "win2000 advanced server" <(E-Mail Removed)>
> wrote in message news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> > thank you for asking. You mentioned it right. I do not figure out where to
> > change it. Where to change it and the steps how to change it would answer
> > the
> > problem and if I have to ping the other computer, win XP, which I already
> > assigned static IP address to is for this purpose.
> >
> > Samson

> >> What do you mean you are not able to change it?
> >>
> >> Do you know *where* to change it but there is something preventing you
> >> from
> >> changing it when you try or you don't know where to change it?
> >>

> >> DDS
> >>
> >> "win2000 advanced server" <win2000 advanced
> >> (E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> >> news:(E-Mail Removed)...

Dave Patrick

      7th Apr 2007
Sounds like you're setting up the scope for DHCP service.

--

Regards,

Microsoft Certified Professional
Microsoft MVP [Windows]