QUERY: windows2k steamline, how to?

KevinGPO

      30th Nov 2005
How can I streamline Windows 2000 Advanced Server CD with the latest service
pack? Then burn it again with it being bootable again?

Torgeir Bakken \(MVP\)

      30th Nov 2005
KevinGPO wrote:

> How can I streamline Windows 2000 Advanced Server CD with the latest
> service pack? Then burn it again with it being bootable again?

Hi,

Use AutoStreamer or nLite to make the process pretty easy.

AutoStreamer:
http://www.neowin.net/forum/lofivers...p/t223562.html

nLite:

Universal Windows Slipstreaming and Bootable CD Guide
http://www.msfn.org/articles.php?act...showarticle=49

--
torgeir, Microsoft MVP Scripting, Porsgrunn Norway
the 1328 page Scripting Guide:

Bob I

      30th Nov 2005
How to integrate software updates into your Windows installation source
files

KevinGPO wrote:

> How can I streamline Windows 2000 Advanced Server CD with the latest service
> pack? Then burn it again with it being bootable again?

Sid Knee

      30th Nov 2005
Torgeir Bakken (MVP) wrote:
> KevinGPO wrote:
>
>> How can I streamline Windows 2000 Advanced Server CD with the latest
>> service pack? Then burn it again with it being bootable again?
>>

> Hi,
>
> Use AutoStreamer or nLite to make the process pretty easy.
>
> AutoStreamer:
> http://www.neowin.net/forum/lofivers...p/t223562.html
>
> nLite:
>
> Universal Windows Slipstreaming and Bootable CD Guide
> http://www.msfn.org/articles.php?act...showarticle=49

I've used both but prefer nLite. Streaming a SP is easy but I haven't
been able to stream any hotfixes even though the docs suggest it may be
possible.

And frankly, the service pack update is the very minor part of the
update process. It's the multitude of hotfixes and hotfixes-on-hotfixes
with countless reboots that take forever (not to mention the updates to
Windows Update before you even get started!). In fact, it's become the
major part, by far, of the total installation process.

I doubt that there's any chance of another service pack so it sure would
be nice to find a way to slipstream the hotfixes.

A question:

On the topic of reboots when hotfixes are installed, it's never been
very clear to me whether the reboot is requested simply to get the
benefit of the hotfix(es) just installed, or whether the reboot is
*necessary* before proceeding with further updates.

In other words, could I install a bucnch of hotfixes, skip the reboot at
that time and proceed to, say, DirectX, Media Player or updated hardware
driver installation and then reboot?

KevinGPO

      2nd Dec 2005
Thanks man. These 2 programs look cool. Wish they made one for Office too!

Anyway, I have Windows Advanced Server 2000. Is the Service Pack 4 will work
for Advanced Server... as well as Professional versions?

http://www.microsoft.com/windows2000/

"Torgeir Bakken (MVP)" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:%(E-Mail Removed)...
> KevinGPO wrote:
>
>> How can I streamline Windows 2000 Advanced Server CD with the latest
>> service pack? Then burn it again with it being bootable again?
>>

> Hi,
>
> Use AutoStreamer or nLite to make the process pretty easy.
>
> AutoStreamer:
> http://www.neowin.net/forum/lofivers...p/t223562.html
>
> nLite:
>
> Universal Windows Slipstreaming and Bootable CD Guide
> http://www.msfn.org/articles.php?act...showarticle=49
>

> --
> torgeir, Microsoft MVP Scripting, Porsgrunn Norway
> the 1328 page Scripting Guide:
> http://www.microsoft.com/technet/scr...r/default.mspx

John John

      2nd Dec 2005
You might want to take a look at this one also. I ran across it a while
back and I was pleasantly surprised when I gave it a test run. Not only
does it splistream but it can incorporate post SP hotfixes to the
installation CD. The author doesn't mention Advanced Server but does
keep a list of Windows 2003 Server hotfixes, possibly it works for the
Advanced version also. http://xpcreate.com/current.htm

John

KevinGPO wrote:
> Thanks man. These 2 programs look cool. Wish they made one for Office too!
>
> Anyway, I have Windows Advanced Server 2000. Is the Service Pack 4 will work
> for Advanced Server... as well as Professional versions?
>
> http://www.microsoft.com/windows2000/
>

> "Torgeir Bakken (MVP)" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:%(E-Mail Removed)...
>
>>KevinGPO wrote:
>>

>>>How can I streamline Windows 2000 Advanced Server CD with the latest
>>>service pack? Then burn it again with it being bootable again?
>>>

>>Hi,
>>
>>Use AutoStreamer or nLite to make the process pretty easy.
>>
>>AutoStreamer:
>>http://www.neowin.net/forum/lofivers...p/t223562.html
>>
>>nLite:
>>
>>Universal Windows Slipstreaming and Bootable CD Guide
>>http://www.msfn.org/articles.php?act...showarticle=49
>>

>>--
>>torgeir, Microsoft MVP Scripting, Porsgrunn Norway
>>Administration scripting examples and an ONLINE version of
>>the 1328 page Scripting Guide:
>>http://www.microsoft.com/technet/scr...r/default.mspx

Torgeir Bakken \(MVP\)

      2nd Dec 2005
Hi,

Yes, it's the same SP4 install file for both those Windows 2000 versions.