PC Review


Reply
Thread Tools Rate Thread

Q: Using a Magnetised Screwdriver on a Motherboard

 
 
Eyman
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      11th Jul 2003
Hi,

Im about to remove my A7N8X Deluxe motherboard from my computer case to
install a heatsink fan.

Ive typically been using a standard non magnetised screwdriver in the past,
but am thinking about using a magnetised screwdriver to remove and install
the motherboard in and out of the case.

I know static electricity is a danger but will the manget effect of the
screwdriver stuff up my A7N8X Delkuxe?

thanks in advance

Eyman


 
Reply With Quote
 
 
 
 
Papa
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      11th Jul 2003
Not a good idea, and neither are electric screwdrivers.

I've been trying to find a set of the early design screwdrivers that have
the little clip for holding the screw head, but they seem to have
disappeared from the market. Anyone know a source? Thanks.

"Eyman" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:bel12c$6dltk$(E-Mail Removed)-berlin.de...
> Hi,
>
> Im about to remove my A7N8X Deluxe motherboard from my computer case to
> install a heatsink fan.
>
> Ive typically been using a standard non magnetised screwdriver in the

past,
> but am thinking about using a magnetised screwdriver to remove and

install
> the motherboard in and out of the case.
>
> I know static electricity is a danger but will the manget effect of the
> screwdriver stuff up my A7N8X Delkuxe?
>
> thanks in advance
>
> Eyman
>
>
>



 
Reply With Quote
 
 
 
 
Margaret Wilson
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      11th Jul 2003
I've never used anything but a magnetized screwdriver, and I've built so
many machines I've lost count. No problems, ever. And I've even used this
same screwdriver to mount hard drives. The tip does not have a very strong
magnetic field though.

Regards,

Margaret

"Eyman" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:bel12c$6dltk$(E-Mail Removed)-berlin.de...
> Hi,
>
> Im about to remove my A7N8X Deluxe motherboard from my computer case to
> install a heatsink fan.
>
> Ive typically been using a standard non magnetised screwdriver in the

past,
> but am thinking about using a magnetised screwdriver to remove and

install
> the motherboard in and out of the case.
>
> I know static electricity is a danger but will the manget effect of the
> screwdriver stuff up my A7N8X Delkuxe?
>
> thanks in advance
>
> Eyman
>
>



 
Reply With Quote
 
OldfartJC
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      11th Jul 2003
I use only magnetized screwdrivers and have been using them for 39 years on
every computer and peripheral that I have ever worked on and those number in
the thousands, and I've never had a problem. The only time I don't use one
is when the screws are stainless steel and then I use special screw
starters. They won't harm a hard drive when you are just installing it.
Someday take an old bad hard drive apart and you would be surprised at the
magnets inside some of them and how strong they are.
"Margaret Wilson" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> I've never used anything but a magnetized screwdriver, and I've built so
> many machines I've lost count. No problems, ever. And I've even used

this
> same screwdriver to mount hard drives. The tip does not have a very

strong
> magnetic field though.
>
> Regards,
>
> Margaret
>
> "Eyman" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:bel12c$6dltk$(E-Mail Removed)-berlin.de...
> > Hi,
> >
> > Im about to remove my A7N8X Deluxe motherboard from my computer case to
> > install a heatsink fan.
> >
> > Ive typically been using a standard non magnetised screwdriver in the

> past,
> > but am thinking about using a magnetised screwdriver to remove and

> install
> > the motherboard in and out of the case.
> >
> > I know static electricity is a danger but will the manget effect of the
> > screwdriver stuff up my A7N8X Delkuxe?
> >
> > thanks in advance
> >
> > Eyman
> >
> >

>
>



 
Reply With Quote
 
Nom
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      11th Jul 2003
"Papa" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:2FpPa.41056$(E-Mail Removed)...
> Not a good idea, and neither are electric screwdrivers.


Both are fine. I'm an IT Technician by trade, and we use both at work. Never
had a problem.


 
Reply With Quote
 
Papa
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      11th Jul 2003
That's why I build my own. As I said, not a good idea - and the reason so
many commercially assembled assembled systems get returned for repairs so
soon after purchase.

"* * Chas" <(E-Mail Removed) (remove spamski to e-mail me)> wrote in
message news:WwtPa.193$(E-Mail Removed)...
> Almost all commercially assembled computers are put together
> with electric screwdrivers using magnetic bits... IBM, HP,
> SUN, Dell and all of the others.
> --
> Chas. http://www.pcreview.co.uk/forums/(E-Mail Removed) (Drop spamski to E-mail
> me)
>
> "Papa" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:2FpPa.41056$(E-Mail Removed)
> t...
> > Not a good idea, and neither are electric screwdrivers.
> >
> > I've been trying to find a set of the early design

> screwdrivers that have
> > the little clip for holding the screw head, but they seem

> to have
> > disappeared from the market. Anyone know a source? Thanks.
> >

>
>
>
>



 
Reply With Quote
 
Papa
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      11th Jul 2003

The reason electric screwdrivers and magnetic screwdrivers are used at tech
support departments and at computer assembly companies is because managers
insist on it. Why? Because repairs and assemblies go faster that way, and if
the tools cause a problem - then the repair or assembly can be done over
again (using replacement parts, if necessary).

The OP is a computer owner. He/she does not have the luxury of taking such
risks, and why should she/he? It only takes a few minutes longer to use the
RIGHT tools.

"Nom" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> "Papa" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:2FpPa.41056$(E-Mail Removed)...
> > Not a good idea, and neither are electric screwdrivers.

>
> Both are fine. I'm an IT Technician by trade, and we use both at work.

Never
> had a problem.
>
>



 
Reply With Quote
 
Roger Zoul
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      11th Jul 2003
Papa wrote:
:: The reason electric screwdrivers and magnetic screwdrivers are used
:: at tech support departments and at computer assembly companies is
:: because managers insist on it. Why? Because repairs and assemblies
:: go faster that way, and if the tools cause a problem - then the
:: repair or assembly can be done over again (using replacement parts,
:: if necessary).
::
:: The OP is a computer owner. He/she does not have the luxury of
:: taking such risks, and why should she/he? It only takes a few
:: minutes longer to use the RIGHT tools.
::

You don't state a single good reason why one cannot use these tools
successfully with just a little care. Please.



:: "Nom" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
:: news:(E-Mail Removed)...
::: "Papa" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
::: news:2FpPa.41056$(E-Mail Removed)...
:::: Not a good idea, and neither are electric screwdrivers.
:::
::: Both are fine. I'm an IT Technician by trade, and we use both at
::: work. Never had a problem.


 
Reply With Quote
 
JonnyCab®
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      11th Jul 2003
Same here. You can secure hard drive screws with a magnetic screwdriver
with no trouble; I've done it hundreds of times.


 
Reply With Quote
 
Tony Hwang
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      11th Jul 2003
Hi,
With variable speed.
Tony

* * Chas wrote:

> Almost all commercially assembled computers are put together
> with electric screwdrivers using magnetic bits... IBM, HP,
> SUN, Dell and all of the others.
> --
> Chas. (E-Mail Removed) (Drop spamski to E-mail
> me)
>
> "Papa" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:2FpPa.41056$(E-Mail Removed)
> t...
>
>>Not a good idea, and neither are electric screwdrivers.
>>
>>I've been trying to find a set of the early design

>
> screwdrivers that have
>
>>the little clip for holding the screw head, but they seem

>
> to have
>
>>disappeared from the market. Anyone know a source? Thanks.
>>

>
>
>
>


 
Reply With Quote
 
 
 
Reply

Thread Tools
Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread:

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Remove bios chip. Screwdriver ok? res0r89p DIY PC 6 29th May 2004 01:53 PM
Best screwdriver for PC work = Pozidrive? Piotr Makley DIY PC 46 17th Mar 2004 07:14 AM
Screwdriver for HP Servers John Smith Storage Devices 16 28th Sep 2003 01:28 AM
ScrewDriver Client mannyg Microsoft Windows 2000 Terminal Server Clients 1 1st Aug 2003 03:24 AM
Powered screwdriver with clutch? 1nteger Support 0 15th Jul 2003 07:59 PM


Features
 

Advertising
 

Newsgroups
 


All times are GMT +1. The time now is 09:16 AM.