pws.bancos.a trojan

=?Utf-8?B?VG9tIEJyZWl0?=

      10th Feb 2006
A number of PCs at our site are having the MS antispyware software reporting
this. So far as I can tell, it's an obscure trojan that emulates an on-line
Brazilian bank logon page, but ASW rates it a "severe" threat level. And, it
appears that when you remove it, it disables Symantec Antivirus.
Anyone have any information on this? I can supply a screen shot of the ASW
detection screen if that would be helpful.

=?Utf-8?B?UnlhbiBXYXJk?=

      11th Feb 2006
FINALLY -Numbers match, and it is no longer detected.

Now to bring back Norton.....

"Ryan Ward" wrote:

> Hey guys...
>
> So does this thing steal passwords, or not?
>
> I've tried updating to 5807 a few times now, and the numbers never match
> (160/158). Not sure what to do with it.
>

> "Bill Sanderson" wrote:
>
> > David--please go to Help, about, in Microsoft Antispyware and hit the
> > diagnostics button.
> >
> > Look for a line ending in a pair of numbers separated by a slash.
> >
> > Are those numbers equal?
> >
> > If not, 5807 is not fully installed. Please check for any caching servers
> > on your network, and re-try the update via file, check for updates.
> >
> > If those numbers are equal, and the FP is still evident, the Symantec
> > versioning for what you have in place--both antivirus product and
> > definitions, would probably be helpful.
> >
> > --
> >
> > "David Galvin" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> > news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> > > I'm still receiving the false positive with 5807. I'm using Symantec
> > > Antivirus Corporate Edition v8.x

=?Utf-8?B?VG9tIEdyaWdzYnk=?=

      11th Feb 2006
Bill

I have updated, numbers match "Definitions Increment Version: 160/160". I
tried reboot, re-install still getting FP. My Symantec is Program CE
9.0.3.1000, Scan eng 51.3.0.11 and def of 2/9/2006 rev 7. Is there any other
infromation you need?

"Bill Sanderson" wrote:

> David--please go to Help, about, in Microsoft Antispyware and hit the
> diagnostics button.
>
> Look for a line ending in a pair of numbers separated by a slash.
>
> Are those numbers equal?
>
> If not, 5807 is not fully installed. Please check for any caching servers
> on your network, and re-try the update via file, check for updates.
>
> If those numbers are equal, and the FP is still evident, the Symantec
> versioning for what you have in place--both antivirus product and
> definitions, would probably be helpful.
>
> --
>
> "David Galvin" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> > I'm still receiving the false positive with 5807. I'm using Symantec
> > Antivirus Corporate Edition v8.x
> >
> > "Bill Sanderson" wrote:
> >
> >> This is a false positive with definitions 5805--fixed with definitons
> >> 5807,
> >> available now.
> >>
> >> --
> >>
> >> "JH" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> >> news:(E-Mail Removed)...

Bill Sanderson

      11th Feb 2006
Tom - I'm sorry to report that this was a false positive in the 5805
definitions. It is corrected in definitions 5807, available as of about 3
pm today.

Uninstall and reinstall or do a repair install of Symantec Antivirus to fix
that.

Some users report that they can't do that via add/remove programs--trying
the setup program from the Symantec CD may help.

--

"Tom Breit" <Tom (E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news(E-Mail Removed)...
>A number of PCs at our site are having the MS antispyware software
>reporting
> this. So far as I can tell, it's an obscure trojan that emulates an
> on-line
> Brazilian bank logon page, but ASW rates it a "severe" threat level. And,
> it
> appears that when you remove it, it disables Symantec Antivirus.
> Anyone have any information on this? I can supply a screen shot of the ASW
> detection screen if that would be helpful.

Bill Sanderson

      11th Feb 2006
Thanks Zack--I try to stick with the group when things get hot!
--

"zack" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> After repeated update failures, it occurred to me to close all
> applications
> (Office specifically), before trying again. After that, first try, the
> numbers matched:
> Definitions Increment Version: 160/160
>
> You've been very busy, just wanted to say thanks and I appreciate your
> diligence!
>
> "Bill Sanderson" wrote:
>
>> Go to Help, about.
>>
>> Hit the diagnostics button.
>>
>> Look for a line ending in a pair of numbers separated by a /
>>
>> i.e. 162/162, for example.
>>
>> If these two numbers are not equal, the update has not completed
>> successfully.
>>
>> You can fix this either by continuing to try file, check for updates, or
>> by
>> manually plugging the individual files from the download locations that
>> have
>> occasionally been posted in these groups--I don't have those saved to
>> post,
>> I'm afraid.
>> --
>>
>> "zack" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
>> news:(E-Mail Removed)...
>> > Download latest definitions, ran scan, and the same threat was
>> > detected.
>> > Here's "The About" info:
>> > Microsoft AntiSpyware Version: 1.0.701
>> > This version expires on: 7/31/2006
>> > Spyware Definition Version: 5807 (2/10/2006 3:05:09 PM)

Bill Sanderson

      11th Feb 2006
If it is a false positive, it doesn't steal anything except the time of all
of us dealing with it.

So far, all the reports here today have been the false positive--check out
other messages for more information.

--

"Ryan Ward" <Ryan (E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> Hey guys...
>
> So does this thing steal passwords, or not?
>
> I've tried updating to 5807 a few times now, and the numbers never match
> (160/158). Not sure what to do with it.
>

> "Bill Sanderson" wrote:
>
>> David--please go to Help, about, in Microsoft Antispyware and hit the
>> diagnostics button.
>>
>> Look for a line ending in a pair of numbers separated by a slash.
>>
>> Are those numbers equal?
>>
>> If not, 5807 is not fully installed. Please check for any caching
>> servers
>> on your network, and re-try the update via file, check for updates.
>>
>> If those numbers are equal, and the FP is still evident, the Symantec
>> versioning for what you have in place--both antivirus product and
>> definitions, would probably be helpful.
>>
>> --
>>
>> "David Galvin" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
>> news:(E-Mail Removed)...
>> > I'm still receiving the false positive with 5807. I'm using Symantec
>> > Antivirus Corporate Edition v8.x

Bill Sanderson

      11th Feb 2006
Terrific--let me know what method worked to bring Norton back?

--

"Ryan Ward" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news(E-Mail Removed)...
> FINALLY -Numbers match, and it is no longer detected.
>
> Now to bring back Norton.....
>

> "Ryan Ward" wrote:
>
>> Hey guys...
>>
>> So does this thing steal passwords, or not?
>>
>> I've tried updating to 5807 a few times now, and the numbers never match
>> (160/158). Not sure what to do with it.
>>

>> "Bill Sanderson" wrote:
>>
>> > David--please go to Help, about, in Microsoft Antispyware and hit the
>> > diagnostics button.
>> >
>> > Look for a line ending in a pair of numbers separated by a slash.
>> >
>> > Are those numbers equal?
>> >
>> > If not, 5807 is not fully installed. Please check for any caching
>> > servers
>> > on your network, and re-try the update via file, check for updates.
>> >
>> > If those numbers are equal, and the FP is still evident, the Symantec
>> > versioning for what you have in place--both antivirus product and
>> > definitions, would probably be helpful.
>> >
>> > --
>> >
>> > "David Galvin" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
>> > news:(E-Mail Removed)...

Bill Sanderson

      11th Feb 2006
That's ugly!

I've one more question:
Can you tell me whether all 4 lines below match what you see when you hit
the diagnostics button? One possibility is that the 160/160 is not a
perfect diagnostic--this set of numbers is from a user who found the FP to
go away.
------
Definitions Increment Version: 160/160
Definitions ThreatAuditThreatData: 1355029
Definitions ThreatAuditScanData: 3098970
Definitions DeterminationData: 806390
--

news:(E-Mail Removed)...

Tom - if you send me email, at