Where to purchase front panel connectors???????

Tom Young

      1st Aug 2003
Hi all:

I'm upgrading the motherboard in my Compaq Presario computer and I've
run into a slight problem. The Compaq uses some sort of proprietary
large "block" connector to attach the front panel pieces - power led,
disk drive led and on/off switch - to the motherboard. Naturally, the
connecting pins on the new motherboard don't line up with the wires on
the "block" connector. So, I've got to get a more standard set of
these connectors to finish up the conversion.

I'd like to get these preassembled, i.e., plug to motherboard already
wired to led or switch, but I'm not finding any online vendor that
carries these items. Can anyone point me in the right direction here?

Too, the current "power on" led has *three* wires coming out the back
instead of only two wires like I'm used to. I'm guessing this is a
led with 2 colors, with the second color perhaps indicating a "sleep"
mode? Can anybody confirm this? (Since my computer never sleeps I've
never seen any other color than the normal green light.)

TIA.

Tom Young

rcm

      1st Aug 2003
I don't know the Presario, but I have experience with the LEDs and
motherboard connectors. If the Compaq connector is using standard pins
inside the connector, you might be able to transplant an old AT case
connector to it. These are just the black plastic 2 3 or 4 or 5 pin
connectors. A used shop might have them lying around or buy an old AT case
cheap and use them. If you have some used stores around or even new, they
might have some in there junk boxes. They would be with the LEDs around.
But I don't know if they would fit. You would have to check the Presario
pin/connector versus the replacement. Usually the pins are held in place by
a tiny pressure tab, use a need to depress it and the pin slides out.
Another way is to pull the pins out and use heat shrink tubing. Another way
is to use a utility knife to slice off the block into connectors. You will
loose the connectors holes in-between. Do this with the wires pins pulled
out. Whatever you do, do not connect the bare pins to the motherboard as
there is no clearance to say and a dead shout on the 5v LED pins will ruin
the board possibly.

By the way, I have kept many of these old pin connectors for fixing leads
so it you become desperate for some, I can send you a sample set of 4 or 5
connectors in hopes they fit. I am in Canada.

But for quickest turnaround visit a shop, new or used, as they must have
some left on something (old case speaker etc).

How do you know which wire in the Presario block is the LED light, HDD
light, reset, power on? Be careful, if you connect the reset or power on to
the LED pins, you short the +5v and blow the board potentially.

You will find LED connectors but I doubt they would physically fit in the
Presario case as they are proprietary. You could just cut the wires and
splice in the case wires to standard wires connectors.

Food for thought, hope it helps.

"Tom Young" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> Hi all:
>
> I'm upgrading the motherboard in my Compaq Presario computer and I've
> run into a slight problem. The Compaq uses some sort of proprietary
> large "block" connector to attach the front panel pieces - power led,
> disk drive led and on/off switch - to the motherboard. Naturally, the
> connecting pins on the new motherboard don't line up with the wires on
> the "block" connector. So, I've got to get a more standard set of
> these connectors to finish up the conversion.
>
> I'd like to get these preassembled, i.e., plug to motherboard already
> wired to led or switch, but I'm not finding any online vendor that
> carries these items. Can anyone point me in the right direction here?
>
> Too, the current "power on" led has *three* wires coming out the back
> instead of only two wires like I'm used to. I'm guessing this is a
> led with 2 colors, with the second color perhaps indicating a "sleep"
> mode? Can anybody confirm this? (Since my computer never sleeps I've
> never seen any other color than the normal green light.)
>
> TIA.
>
> Tom Young

Ed_

      1st Aug 2003
says...

>Hi all:
>
>I'm upgrading the motherboard in my Compaq Presario computer and I've
>run into a slight problem. The Compaq uses some sort of proprietary
>large "block" connector to attach the front panel pieces - power led,
>disk drive led and on/off switch - to the motherboard. Naturally, the
>connecting pins on the new motherboard don't line up with the wires on
>the "block" connector. So, I've got to get a more standard set of
>these connectors to finish up the conversion.
>
>I'd like to get these preassembled, i.e., plug to motherboard already
>wired to led or switch, but I'm not finding any online vendor that
>carries these items. Can anyone point me in the right direction here?
>
>Too, the current "power on" led has *three* wires coming out the back
>instead of only two wires like I'm used to. I'm guessing this is a
>led with 2 colors, with the second color perhaps indicating a "sleep"
>mode? Can anybody confirm this? (Since my computer never sleeps I've
>never seen any other color than the normal green light.)
>
>TIA.
>
>Tom Young

OK, I am the proud owner of a Compaq 7ap195 which has a similiar connector for
the front panel. I have no idea why you would be trying to salvage this useless
case. The front bezel on my case was designed to bust knuckles and drive one
to alcholol addiction. Whoever designed it should be sent to Iraq with a George
Bush mask glued on to his face. Not to mention that the PS is prolly outdated
and undermanned and the air flow is bad, you can't add a front fan without major
surgery and the hard drive cage design is just plain non-functional if you plan
to add an extra drive.

I have just the opposite problem because I picked up a case from Newegg a month
ago ($30.00 and far nicer to look at and work with and much better quality) that
I'm planning on moving the mobo and processor et al from the Compaq to in a few
weeks.

There are just far too many benefits to new cases today, even the cheaper ones,
that outweigh the pain of trying to make an outdated and poorly designed case
functional with any upgrades.

Just my opinion and I'm no expert so take it for what it costs.

Ed

Tom Young

      2nd Aug 2003
"rcm" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message news:<KjwWa.606661$(E-Mail Removed)>...

> How do you know which wire in the Presario block is the LED light, HDD
> light, reset, power on? Be careful, if you connect the reset or power on to
> the LED pins, you short the +5v and blow the board potentially.

The Presario only has 3 "things" at the front of the case: a HDD led
(2 wires), a Power On led (3 wires) and the power switch (2 wires).
Since all 7 wires are different colors it's easy to see which wire
goes where. The new motherboard is well-documented as to which pins
perform what function, so all I need now is someway to make the
connection.

> You will find LED connectors but I doubt they would physically fit in the
> Presario case as they are proprietary. You could just cut the wires and
> splice in the case wires to standard wires connectors.

I may end up doing just that.

Thanks!