published vs assigned?

_Daniel Sullivan

      9th Oct 2003
Can somebody tell me the difference between published and assigned for
package distribution through GPOs? I'm very confused on this topic.. Thanks
in advance.

--
Notice: This e-mail (including attachments) is covered by the Electronic
Communications Privacy Act, 18 U.S.C. 2510-2521, is confidential and may be

Carolyn Napier [MSFT]

      28th Oct 2003
A published application is made available to the user for use via Add/Remove
Programs. It still requires user interaction to actually install the
application. (The user must navigate to ARP and go to Add New Programs and
select the application or double-click a file extension for a published app for
it to be installed.)

An assigned application is advertised/installed automatically for the user --
i.e. the user can't choose whether or not it happens.

Hope this helps,
- Carolyn Napier
Microsoft Windows Installer Team

purposes only.