PSU missing 12v 4-pin connector 4 CPU power supply

TJ Sackville-West

      15th Dec 2004
Suggestions please to rig power for the square 4-pin 12v connection,
missing from the cabling from a CODEGEN 250X-1 250W PSU

Have an MSI KM3M-V mATX board which has the square JPW1 (4-pin 12v)
connector to power the CPU. 2x GND & 2x 12v pins showing.

I don't know why this ATX PSU unit which is only 4-5 years old doesn't
have the square pin for the CPU power supply. Maybe is too old and the
new generation of CPU need direct higher power supply that the 20-pin
socket can provide, but I'm only putting on a Sempron 2400 so I should
be able to tap off 12V from somewhere and run it in with the correct
male fitting.

Thanks
TJ

Wes Newell

      15th Dec 2004
On Wed, 15 Dec 2004 02:26:04 -0800, TJ Sackville-West wrote:

> Suggestions please to rig power for the square 4-pin 12v connection,
> missing from the cabling from a CODEGEN 250X-1 250W PSU

Get an adapter cable from Molex to the 12v connector.

> Have an MSI KM3M-V mATX board which has the square JPW1 (4-pin 12v)
> connector to power the CPU. 2x GND & 2x 12v pins showing.
>
> I don't know why this ATX PSU unit which is only 4-5 years old doesn't
> have the square pin for the CPU power supply. Maybe is too old and the
> new generation of CPU need direct higher power supply that the 20-pin
> socket can provide, but I'm only putting on a Sempron 2400 so I should
> be able to tap off 12V from somewhere and run it in with the correct
> male fitting.

The 4 pin 12v connector was introduced with the P4, after your PSu was
built. BTW, AMD recommends a 300W PSU minimum for the K7 line. But I've
run a couple on 250W nits.

Adam

      15th Dec 2004

> The 4 pin 12v connector was introduced with the P4, after your PSu was
> built. BTW, AMD recommends a 300W PSU minimum for the K7 line. But I've
> run a couple on 250W nits.

I was under the impression that the additional connector not only
provided more power but isolated power and ground planes for the CPU.

--adam

Noozer

      15th Dec 2004

"TJ Sackville-West" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> Suggestions please to rig power for the square 4-pin 12v connection,
> missing from the cabling from a CODEGEN 250X-1 250W PSU

> I don't know why this ATX PSU unit which is only 4-5 years old doesn't

Mr Troll... 4-5 years makes it an antique as computer parts go.

If it is a 250watt PSU then it won't have enough juice to run the system
anyhow.

If you want a modern computer, bite the bullet and buy a modern PSU.

kony

      15th Dec 2004
On Wed, 15 Dec 2004 11:36:06 GMT, Adam <(E-Mail Removed)>
wrote:

>> The 4 pin 12v connector was introduced with the P4, after your PSu was
>> built. BTW, AMD recommends a 300W PSU minimum for the K7 line. But I've
>> run a couple on 250W nits.
>>

>I was under the impression that the additional connector not only
>provided more power but isolated power and ground planes for the CPU.
>
>--adam

I don't think it isolates ground and power might depend on
the board. Some past boards would potentially run, albeit
with the potential for instability, with only the 20-pin
connector attached. Other boards won't, definitely must
have 12 in at the 4 pin connector.

kony

      15th Dec 2004
On 15 Dec 2004 02:26:04 -0800, (E-Mail Removed) (TJ
Sackville-West) wrote:

>Suggestions please to rig power for the square 4-pin 12v connection,
>missing from the cabling from a CODEGEN 250X-1 250W PSU
>
>Have an MSI KM3M-V mATX board which has the square JPW1 (4-pin 12v)
>connector to power the CPU. 2x GND & 2x 12v pins showing.
>
>I don't know why this ATX PSU unit which is only 4-5 years old doesn't
>have the square pin for the CPU power supply. Maybe is too old and the
>new generation of CPU need direct higher power supply that the 20-pin
>socket can provide, but I'm only putting on a Sempron 2400 so I should
>be able to tap off 12V from somewhere and run it in with the correct
>male fitting.
>
>Thanks
>TJ

A 4-5 year old Codgen 250W isn't suited for this system.
Granted a Sempron 2400 isn't as demanding as some, but the
age of the PSU combined with it's generic low-quality
nature, lower capacity to begin with not even considering
that it may be optimized for amperage mostly from the 5V
rail, not 12V rail, might be too much for the old Codegen
which wasn't a very good PSU even when used in systems
contemporary at the time.

You can get an adapter that plugs into a 4 pin molex
connector but you'd be better off getting a new ~ 350W
name-brand power supply.

Wes Newell

      15th Dec 2004
On Wed, 15 Dec 2004 11:36:06 +0000, Adam wrote:

>> The 4 pin 12v connector was introduced with the P4, after your PSu was
>> built. BTW, AMD recommends a 300W PSU minimum for the K7 line. But I've
>> run a couple on 250W nits.
>>

> I was under the impression that the additional connector not only
> provided more power but isolated power and ground planes for the CPU.

What the board does with it depends on the board, but as far as the PSU is
concerned, it's just another 12v line coming from the same place as the
other 12v lines. Having the extra cinnector makes sure there's enough
copper for the load of the CPU.

kony

      15th Dec 2004
On Wed, 15 Dec 2004 18:37:57 GMT, Wes Newell
<(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

>On Wed, 15 Dec 2004 11:36:06 +0000, Adam wrote:
>

>>> The 4 pin 12v connector was introduced with the P4, after your PSu was
>>> built. BTW, AMD recommends a 300W PSU minimum for the K7 line. But I've
>>> run a couple on 250W nits.
>>>

>> I was under the impression that the additional connector not only
>> provided more power but isolated power and ground planes for the CPU.
>>

>What the board does with it depends on the board, but as far as the PSU is
>concerned, it's just another 12v line coming from the same place as the
>other 12v lines. Having the extra cinnector makes sure there's enough
>copper for the load of the CPU.

True it's often just another lead from the same 12V rail
(ignoring newer split-rail designs) BUT with the switch to
ATX 2.03 some may also have shifted to more 12V current
bias. In other words, typical 200-250W PSU bought today
might be much more suitable for powering a (12V based VRM
circuit) than an old PSU.

Granted the label is "supposed" to help guide on in these
choices but then we're back to the same timless argument
about whether one can trust the label on any particular
generic power supply.

TJ

      20th Dec 2004
Thanks for the advice.I bought a 400W PSU. Started up OK first time

- Tuff Test lite shows all VGA OK - only problem is Windows 98 won't
boot from the drive I had before.

Tried another HDD and that won't boot either.

Even tried booting from the CD ROM to install Sus Linux 9 and that
seemed to go into a void too

Is there some kind of a test probgam I can download to run from either
CD or floppie to check the board in DOS?

Thanks

TJ

Wes Newell wrote:
> On Wed, 15 Dec 2004 02:26:04 -0800, TJ Sackville-West wrote:
>
> > Suggestions please to rig power for the square 4-pin 12v

connection,
> > missing from the cabling from a CODEGEN 250X-1 250W PSU
> >

> Get an adapter cable from Molex to the 12v connector.
>
> > Have an MSI KM3M-V mATX board which has the square JPW1 (4-pin 12v)
> > connector to power the CPU. 2x GND & 2x 12v pins showing.
> >
> > I don't know why this ATX PSU unit which is only 4-5 years old

doesn't
> > have the square pin for the CPU power supply. Maybe is too old and

the
> > new generation of CPU need direct higher power supply that the

20-pin
> > socket can provide, but I'm only putting on a Sempron 2400 so I

should
> > be able to tap off 12V from somewhere and run it in with the

correct
> > male fitting.
> >

> The 4 pin 12v connector was introduced with the P4, after your PSu

was
> built. BTW, AMD recommends a 300W PSU minimum for the K7 line. But

I've
> run a couple on 250W nits.

Trent©

      20th Dec 2004
On 19 Dec 2004 15:05:31 -0800, "TJ" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

>Thanks for the advice.I bought a 400W PSU. Started up OK first time
>
>- Tuff Test lite shows all VGA OK - only problem is Windows 98 won't
>boot from the drive I had before.
>
>Tried another HDD and that won't boot either.
>
>Even tried booting from the CD ROM to install Sus Linux 9 and that
>seemed to go into a void too
>
>Is there some kind of a test probgam I can download to run from either
>CD or floppie to check the board in DOS?
>
>Thanks
>
>TJ

Did you try booting into the BIOS?...or a 98 rescue disk? Check your
boot options in the BIOS.

Have a nice one...

Trent©