Jayco

      30th Mar 2010
I have Outlook 2002 and Windows XP. I followed the instructions for "Move
contacts to another computer and Copy files to a CD. I can't open the file
on the CD, and I can't open the file where it's located in C:\Documents and
Settings\user\Local Settings\Application Data\Microsoft\Outlook. I get the
error message, "Adobe Reader could not open 'My Contacts Backup.pst' because
it is either not a supported file type or because the file has been damaged
(for example, it was sent as an email attachment and wasn't correctly
decoded)." Do you know what I can do to open this file?
--
Jubilee

Brian Tillman [MVP-Outlook]

      30th Mar 2010
"Jayco" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...

>I have Outlook 2002 and Windows XP. I followed the instructions for "Move
> contacts to another computer and Copy files to a CD. I can't open the file
> on the CD, and I can't open the file where it's located in C:\Documents and
> Settings\user\Local Settings\Application Data\Microsoft\Outlook. I get the
> error message, "Adobe Reader could not open 'My Contacts Backup.pst' because
> it is either not a supported file type or because the file has been damaged
> (for example, it was sent as an email attachment and wasn't correctly
> decoded)." Do you know what I can do to open this file?

First, your file type association for PSTs is incorrect. They should not be
associated with Adobe Reader. That said, coopy the PST to a handy directory
on your hard drive (like My Documents\Outlook Files), start Outlook, click
File>Open>Outlook Data File, browse to the PST, select it, and click OK. See
http://www.slipstick.com/config/move_outlook.asp and
http://www.howto-outlook.com/howto/backupandrestore.htm
--
Brian Tillman [MVP-Outlook]