PS3 GPU: 1.8 TFLOPs ~ Teraflops

PSX3

      17th May 2005
http://ps3.ign.com/articles/614/614682p1.html

Playstation3's Nvidia-designed graphics processor ~ GPU:

-RSX aka Reality Synthesizer.
-runs at 550 Mhz
-has 1.8 TFLOPS / Teraflops floating point performance.
-is said to be more than twice as powerful as GeForce 6800
-300 million transistors (unconfirmed)
- Full HD (up to 1080p) x 2 channels

sounds like PS3 will be at least as powerful as SGI's Infinite Reality
16-pipe rack systems. (late 1990s)
each of their pipes could do about 10 million textured polygons/sec with
everything on.

the PS2 was about as powerful as 2 Infinite Reality pipes. (20 mpps)

PS3 should easily rival or surpass 16 Infinite Reality pipes (160 mpps)

since Xbox360 pushes 500 million polys/sec and 1500 million vertices/sec
(i'm going by the specs floating around) then PS3 should be almost twice
as powerful.

my guess: 3000 million (3 billion) vertices/sec - 1000 million (1
billion) polygons/sec

even if you figure in that that is PEAK theoretical performance, even 1/5
of that: 200 million polys/sec
and 600 million vertices/sec is on par with a 16 pipe Infinite Reality
system which would cost $100,000 PER pipe, IIRC.

PSX3

      17th May 2005
http://www.gamespot.com/news/2005/05...s_6124681.html

"Sony also unveiled the PS3's graphics chip, the RSX "Reality Synthesizer"
based on Nvidia technology. The GPU will be capable of 128bit pixel
precision, 1080p resolution, some of the highest HD resolution around. The
RSX also has 512mb of graphics render memory and is capable of 100 billion
shader operations and 51 billion dot products per second. It also has over
300 million transistors, larger than any processor available commercially
today. It will be manufactured using the 90nm process with 8 layers of
metal. The RSX is more powerful than two GeForce 6800 Ultra video cards,
which would cost roughly $1000 total if bought today."

so it is 300 million transistors. that's twice as much as Xbox360's R500
GPU.

the Xbox360 can do 9 billion dot products per second. the PS3 can do 51
billion.

Xbox360 can do 48 billion shader operations per second, PS3 can do 100
billion. shader operations per second

it's clear that PS3 is less of a leap over Xbox360 that PS2 was over
Dreamcast, but, PS3 is still more powerful

NightSky 421

      17th May 2005
"PSX3" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> http://ps3.ign.com/articles/614/614682p1.html
>
> Playstation3's Nvidia-designed graphics processor ~ GPU:
>
> -RSX aka Reality Synthesizer.
> -runs at 550 Mhz
> -has 1.8 TFLOPS / Teraflops floating point performance.
> -is said to be more than twice as powerful as GeForce 6800
> -300 million transistors (unconfirmed)
> - Full HD (up to 1080p) x 2 channels

All this over something that most people will hook up to a standard 480i
television. Even if that isn't the case, I have to wonder if this whole
thing is simply a battle between Microsoft, Sony and Nintendo simply to see
whose balls are the biggest. I also have to wonder how much power these new
gaming consoles will consume. To me, the winner is the console with the
games that have the best gameplay.

Glitch

      17th May 2005
NightSky 421 wrote:
To me, the winner is the console with the
> games that have the best gameplay.

The PS( 1 or 2) was always the clear winner in this area. The PS2 is
weaker (graphicly speaking) than the Xbox or GameCube but it's still the
best console. Why? Because it has a plethora of high quality games
(FF,MGS,GT,GTA,PES,....) unlike both X and GC.
Somehow I don't think that is gonna change in the upcoming generation of
consoles.

--
Glitches are BAD!!!
Beware...

ICQ:275699535

Black Shuck

      17th May 2005
NightSky 421 got up from the bar and shouted: :

> All this over something that most people will hook up to a standard 480i
> television. Even if that isn't the case, I have to wonder if this whole
> thing is simply a battle between Microsoft, Sony and Nintendo simply to see
> whose balls are the biggest. I also have to wonder how much power these new
> gaming consoles will consume. To me, the winner is the console with the
> games that have the best gameplay.

Sure, but Sony are winning on both counts. Not only do they have the
best hardware spec on paper, they have all their back catalog
compatibility (XBox360 has "selected backwards compatibility"), they
have a shitload of decent game studios and titles chomping at the bit
with those hardware specs.

The only thing that could let it down, is software SDK's (which
Microsoft are very good at and which is bound to be DirectX derived).

I'm pretty sure Microsoft are shitting bricks at the moment, they have
certainly been caught with their trousers down on this one.

They may have the 6 month lead to market, but Sony have awesome specs,
and other marketing tricks, namely PSP.

PSP - Selling by the bucket-load now in the US, and guess what console
will integrate seamlessly with the PSP (clue: it's not got 360 in the
title), Sony are getting their customers TODAY, and will lure them with
PSP-PS3 integration (and full PS2 back compatibility). Wondered why the
PS3 has Wireless networking as std, and so does the PSP. It does not
take a rocket scientist to see where it's going...

DaveW

      18th May 2005
WHY are you posting these rants about PSX3 to the wrong Newsgroups?

--
DaveW

"PSX3" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> http://ps3.ign.com/articles/614/614682p1.html
>
> Playstation3's Nvidia-designed graphics processor ~ GPU:
>
> -RSX aka Reality Synthesizer.
> -runs at 550 Mhz
> -has 1.8 TFLOPS / Teraflops floating point performance.
> -is said to be more than twice as powerful as GeForce 6800
> -300 million transistors (unconfirmed)
> - Full HD (up to 1080p) x 2 channels
>

> sounds like PS3 will be at least as powerful as SGI's Infinite Reality
> 16-pipe rack systems. (late 1990s)
> each of their pipes could do about 10 million textured polygons/sec with
> everything on.
>
> the PS2 was about as powerful as 2 Infinite Reality pipes. (20 mpps)
>
> PS3 should easily rival or surpass 16 Infinite Reality pipes (160 mpps)
>
> since Xbox360 pushes 500 million polys/sec and 1500 million
> vertices/sec
> (i'm going by the specs floating around) then PS3 should be almost twice
> as powerful.
>

> my guess: 3000 million (3 billion) vertices/sec - 1000 million (1
> billion) polygons/sec
>
> even if you figure in that that is PEAK theoretical performance, even 1/5
> of that: 200 million polys/sec
> and 600 million vertices/sec is on par with a 16 pipe Infinite Reality
> system which would cost $100,000 PER pipe, IIRC.

NightSky 421

      18th May 2005
"Black Shuck" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:428a59a9$0$541$(E-Mail Removed)...

> Sure, but Sony are winning on both counts. Not only do they have the
> best hardware spec on paper, they have all their back catalog
> compatibility (XBox360 has "selected backwards compatibility"), they
> have a shitload of decent game studios and titles chomping at the bit
> with those hardware specs.
>
> The only thing that could let it down, is software SDK's (which
> Microsoft are very good at and which is bound to be DirectX derived).
>
> I'm pretty sure Microsoft are shitting bricks at the moment, they have
> certainly been caught with their trousers down on this one.
>
> They may have the 6 month lead to market, but Sony have awesome specs,
> and other marketing tricks, namely PSP.
>
> PSP - Selling by the bucket-load now in the US, and guess what console
> will integrate seamlessly with the PSP (clue: it's not got 360 in the
> title), Sony are getting their customers TODAY, and will lure them with
> PSP-PS3 integration (and full PS2 back compatibility). Wondered why the
> PS3 has Wireless networking as std, and so does the PSP. It does not
> take a rocket scientist to see where it's going...

Even I must concede that Sony will likely "win" the next round of the
console wars. I'm sure Microsoft will hold it's own with the Xbox 360, but
I think the only question mark at this point is if people will like the
controller that comes with the PS3. Maybe there will be after-market
controllers that more closely follow the ergonomics of the PS2 controllers,
but we will see. Still, full backwards compatibility will score Sony some
points with users. I'm not thrilled about selective backwards compatibility
that the Xbox 360 will have.

chrisv

      18th May 2005
PSX3 wrote:

>Playstation3's Nvidia-designed graphics processor ~ GPU:

(E-Mail Removed)

Abuse notice sent.

Black Shuck

      20th May 2005
NightSky 421 got up from the bar and shouted: :
> "Black Shuck" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:428a59a9$0$541$(E-Mail Removed)...
>
>>Sure, but Sony are winning on both counts. Not only do they have the
>>best hardware spec on paper, they have all their back catalog
>>compatibility (XBox360 has "selected backwards compatibility"), they
>>have a shitload of decent game studios and titles chomping at the bit
>>with those hardware specs.
>>
>>The only thing that could let it down, is software SDK's (which
>>Microsoft are very good at and which is bound to be DirectX derived).
>>
>>I'm pretty sure Microsoft are shitting bricks at the moment, they have
>>certainly been caught with their trousers down on this one.
>>
>>They may have the 6 month lead to market, but Sony have awesome specs,
>>and other marketing tricks, namely PSP.
>>
>>PSP - Selling by the bucket-load now in the US, and guess what console
>>will integrate seamlessly with the PSP (clue: it's not got 360 in the
>>title), Sony are getting their customers TODAY, and will lure them with
>>PSP-PS3 integration (and full PS2 back compatibility). Wondered why the
>>PS3 has Wireless networking as std, and so does the PSP. It does not
>>take a rocket scientist to see where it's going...

> Even I must concede that Sony will likely "win" the next round of the
> console wars. I'm sure Microsoft will hold it's own with the Xbox 360, but
> I think the only question mark at this point is if people will like the
> controller that comes with the PS3. Maybe there will be after-market
> controllers that more closely follow the ergonomics of the PS2 controllers,
> but we will see. Still, full backwards compatibility will score Sony some
> points with users. I'm not thrilled about selective backwards compatibility
> that the Xbox 360 will have.

Has anyone seen the PSP-PS3 planned integration? It's extremely cool.
The PSP not only acts as a portable game console, but you can use it as
a controller for the PS3, and the display will show ingame stats etc, as
a 2nd monitor to the main screen action. Awesome integration. The
added posibilities of having your media on the PS3 (movies/music) and
being able to access them from whithin you wireless range on the PSP is
alse impressive.

Brenden D. Chase

      20th May 2005

"Black Shuck" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:428e1428$0$39087$(E-Mail Removed)...
> NightSky 421 got up from the bar and shouted: :
>> "Black Shuck" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
>> news:428a59a9$0$541$(E-Mail Removed)...
>>
>>>Sure, but Sony are winning on both counts. Not only do they have the
>>>best hardware spec on paper, they have all their back catalog
>>>compatibility (XBox360 has "selected backwards compatibility"), they
>>>have a shitload of decent game studios and titles chomping at the bit
>>>with those hardware specs.
>>>
>>>The only thing that could let it down, is software SDK's (which
>>>Microsoft are very good at and which is bound to be DirectX derived).
>>>
>>>I'm pretty sure Microsoft are shitting bricks at the moment, they have
>>>certainly been caught with their trousers down on this one.
>>>
>>>They may have the 6 month lead to market, but Sony have awesome specs,
>>>and other marketing tricks, namely PSP.
>>>
>>>PSP - Selling by the bucket-load now in the US, and guess what console
>>>will integrate seamlessly with the PSP (clue: it's not got 360 in the
>>>title), Sony are getting their customers TODAY, and will lure them with
>>>PSP-PS3 integration (and full PS2 back compatibility). Wondered why the
>>>PS3 has Wireless networking as std, and so does the PSP. It does not
>>>take a rocket scientist to see where it's going...

>> Even I must concede that Sony will likely "win" the next round of the
>> console wars. I'm sure Microsoft will hold it's own with the Xbox 360,
>> but
>> I think the only question mark at this point is if people will like the
>> controller that comes with the PS3. Maybe there will be after-market
>> controllers that more closely follow the ergonomics of the PS2
>> controllers,
>> but we will see. Still, full backwards compatibility will score Sony
>> some
>> points with users. I'm not thrilled about selective backwards
>> compatibility
>> that the Xbox 360 will have.
>>

> Has anyone seen the PSP-PS3 planned integration? It's extremely cool. The
> PSP not only acts as a portable game console, but you can use it as a
> controller for the PS3, and the display will show ingame stats etc, as a
> 2nd monitor to the main screen action. Awesome integration. The added
> posibilities of having your media on the PS3 (movies/music) and being able
> to access them from whithin you wireless range on the PSP is alse
> impressive.

Yes, but not to exclude the fact that you'll be able to access your ps3 from
anywhere in the world and download data from the HDD to the psp, provided
you've got a wireless internet connection where ever you are.