proper way to address attention lines on envelopes

=?Utf-8?B?TWlzc3kgRHJvdWV0?=

      6th Jul 2006
Which is the proper way to address a business envelope?
Company Name
Attention Mr. Black
3300 NW 55th Court
Fort Lauderdale, FL 33309

or
Attention Mr. Black
Company Name
3300 NW 55th Court
Fort Lauderdale FL 33309

JoAnn Paules [MVP]

      6th Jul 2006
Although this is outside of the purpose of this newsgroup, I am a bit anal
about using the Post Office's system for addressing mail.

http://www.usps.com/businessmail101/...eryAddress.htm

--

JoAnn Paules
MVP Microsoft [Publisher]

"Missy Drouet" <Missy http://www.pcreview.co.uk/forums/(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> Which is the proper way to address a business envelope?
> Company Name
> Attention Mr. Black
> 3300 NW 55th Court
> Fort Lauderdale, FL 33309
>
> or
> Attention Mr. Black
> Company Name
> 3300 NW 55th Court
> Fort Lauderdale FL 33309

JoAnn Paules [MVP]

      6th Jul 2006
Although this is outside of the purpose of this newsgroup, I am a bit anal
about using the Post Office's system for addressing mail.

http://www.usps.com/businessmail101/...eryAddress.htm

--

JoAnn Paules
MVP Microsoft [Publisher]

"Missy Drouet" <Missy (E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> Which is the proper way to address a business envelope?
> Company Name
> Attention Mr. Black
> 3300 NW 55th Court
> Fort Lauderdale, FL 33309
>
> or
> Attention Mr. Black
> Company Name
> 3300 NW 55th Court
> Fort Lauderdale FL 33309

Suzanne S. Barnhill

      6th Jul 2006
An attention line should go below the company name, but IMO there are only
two good reasons to use an attention line instead of just addressing the
letter to the person directly (on the first line, followed by the company
name on the second):

1. You don't know the person's full name (this is often the case when you're
told to send something to the attention of "Wendy" or "Mr. Smith").

2. If you're addressing something to a position or department or perhaps
someone who represents a position or department, and you want the letter to
go to the appropriate person even if "Mr. Black" is no longer with the firm.

--
Suzanne S. Barnhill
Microsoft MVP (Word)

"Missy Drouet" <Missy (E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> Which is the proper way to address a business envelope?
> Company Name
> Attention Mr. Black
> 3300 NW 55th Court
> Fort Lauderdale, FL 33309
>
> or
> Attention Mr. Black
> Company Name
> 3300 NW 55th Court
> Fort Lauderdale FL 33309

Suzanne S. Barnhill

      6th Jul 2006
An attention line should go below the company name, but IMO there are only
two good reasons to use an attention line instead of just addressing the
letter to the person directly (on the first line, followed by the company
name on the second):

1. You don't know the person's full name (this is often the case when you're
told to send something to the attention of "Wendy" or "Mr. Smith").

2. If you're addressing something to a position or department or perhaps
someone who represents a position or department, and you want the letter to
go to the appropriate person even if "Mr. Black" is no longer with the firm.

--
Suzanne S. Barnhill
Microsoft MVP (Word)
Words into Type
Fairhope, Alabama USA
Word MVP FAQ site: http://word.mvps.org
all may benefit.

"Missy Drouet" <Missy (E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> Which is the proper way to address a business envelope?
> Company Name
> Attention Mr. Black
> 3300 NW 55th Court
> Fort Lauderdale, FL 33309
>
> or
> Attention Mr. Black
> Company Name
> 3300 NW 55th Court
> Fort Lauderdale FL 33309

JoAnn Paules [MVP]

      7th Jul 2006
Unfortunately the post office wants to see the name first, then the company.

From usps.com:

"The delivery address is the most important information on your mailpiece.
Use the following format for your delivery addresses:

Name or attention line: JANE L MILLER
Company:MILLER ASSOCIATES
Suite or apartment number: [STE 2006]
Delivery address: 1960 W CHELSEA AVE STE 2006
City, state, ZIP Code: ALLENTOWN PA 18104

Automated mail processing machines read addresses on mailpieces from the
bottom up and will first look for a city, state, and ZIP Code. Then the
machines look for a delivery address. If the machines can't find either
line, then your mailpiece could be delayed or misrouted. Any information
below the delivery address line (a logo, a slogan, or an attention line)
could confuse the machines and misdirect your mail. "

--

JoAnn Paules
MVP Microsoft [Publisher]

"Suzanne S. Barnhill" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:%(E-Mail Removed)...
> An attention line should go below the company name, but IMO there are only
> two good reasons to use an attention line instead of just addressing the
> letter to the person directly (on the first line, followed by the company
> name on the second):
>
> 1. You don't know the person's full name (this is often the case when
> you're
> told to send something to the attention of "Wendy" or "Mr. Smith").
>
> 2. If you're addressing something to a position or department or perhaps
> someone who represents a position or department, and you want the letter
> go to the appropriate person even if "Mr. Black" is no longer with the
> firm.
>
> --
> Suzanne S. Barnhill
> Microsoft MVP (Word)
> Words into Type
> Fairhope, Alabama USA
> Word MVP FAQ site: http://word.mvps.org
> Email cannot be acknowledged; please post all follow-ups to the newsgroup
> so
> all may benefit.
>
> "Missy Drouet" <Missy (E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:(E-Mail Removed)...
>> Which is the proper way to address a business envelope?
>> Company Name
>> Attention Mr. Black
>> 3300 NW 55th Court
>> Fort Lauderdale, FL 33309
>>
>> or
>> Attention Mr. Black
>> Company Name
>> 3300 NW 55th Court
>> Fort Lauderdale FL 33309

JoAnn Paules [MVP]

      7th Jul 2006
Unfortunately the post office wants to see the name first, then the company.

From usps.com: