Propagation of "%APPDATA%\Microsoft..." Folders

John Webster

      9th Jul 2009

I recently updated and installed a couple of Versign personal certificates.
The download method was via IE, and the certs were to be for signing Outlook
(2003 Pro) email.

The certs do not seem to have installed properly (for I can't use them in
Outlook) and since installing, folders are being added to Windows XP. I'm
not sure which applications are causing the propagation, but I suspect
Windows Explorer. Could be others, too.

The folders are being created under C:\Windows\System32 and C:\Documents and
Settings\<Username>\ consistently.

The complete folder list being created is:

C:\Documents and
Settings\<Username>\%APPDATA%\Microsoft\SystemCertificates\My\CTLs , \CRLs &
\Certificates

AND

C:\Documents and
Settings\<Username>\%APPDATA%\Microsoft\CryptnetUrlCache\MetaData

AND

C:\Documents and
Settings\<Username>\%APPDATA%\Microsoft\CryptnetUrlCache\Content

Obviously, something is using the literal "%APPDATA%" instead of
interpreting it as a token for that folder.

Anyone have any ideas how I might solve this problem ?

Thanks.

--
- John

Anurag Shukla

      10th Jul 2009

John

My suggestion will be try creating a new user account & the try to import
the certificates in the new user account. For me it seems to be local user
account corruption.

Old Rookie

      11th Jul 2009
Check the following link on how to use certificates with Outlook 2003 in
which case you may need to select your new certificate for signing if you
have not done so yet. If using XP Pro try using the MMC (enter MMC in run
box - file/add or remove snapin) snapin for certificates for user to see if
the new certificate shows under your user account and it shows that the
privtae key is also installed.

Steve

http://www.globalsign.com/support/pe...outlook03.html

news:(E-Mail Removed)...