Programmable Interrupt Controller

bob@coolgroups.com

      22nd Jan 2007
I have a D820LP motherboard for a Dell, and I'd like to find the
Programmable Interrupt Controller chip on it and see how it's
connected to the CPU. I've looked all over the board, and I don't
see anything that says 8259A or APIC. Any ideas how to find this?

Or, does anyone have any photos showing a PIC connected to a CPU?

Thanks.

Paul

      22nd Jan 2007
(E-Mail Removed) wrote:
> I have a D820LP motherboard for a Dell, and I'd like to find the
> Programmable Interrupt Controller chip on it and see how it's
> connected to the CPU. I've looked all over the board, and I don't
> see anything that says 8259A or APIC. Any ideas how to find this?
>
> Or, does anyone have any photos showing a PIC connected to a CPU?
>
> Thanks.

If the ICH0 Southbridge is on your motherboard (because I'm not
certain of the chipset details)...

82801AA / 82801AB Southbridge ICH / ICH0
http://download.intel.com/design/chi...s/29065503.pdf

PDF page 3 says ICH0 Southbridge has inside it:

"Interrupt Controller
-Two Cascaded 82C59
-Integrated I/O APIC Capability
-15 Interrupts Support in 8259 Mode,
24 Supported in I/O APIC Mode.
-Supports Serial Interrupt Protocol"

And on PDF page 34 it explains the interrupt interface on the ICH0.

HTH,
Paul