Program to convert recipe quantities?

Dennis James

      28th Aug 2003
Any help in tracking down a program to convert
recipe ingredient quantities is appreciated.

For example, a recipe calls for 11 different
ingredients (water, flour, egg, salt, etc.),
and this recipe feeds, say, 4 servings. I'm
looking for a program to convert the recipe,
line-by-line, to feed, say, 90 servings. I'm
looking for it to convert recipes into large
batch serving sizes, so to merely convert, say,
one spoonful of salt into 120 spoonfuls of salt
is not helpful! It needs to convert it into
something easily measurable (kilos, pounds,
etc.)

I know there are all-purpose conversion programs,
but these are painstaking when going line-by-line,
ingredient-by-ingredient.

Also, a big, sincere 'thank you' to everyone in
this group for all the great contributions in the
past.

Dennis

Gary R. Schmidt

      28th Aug 2003
Dennis James wrote:
> Any help in tracking down a program to convert
> recipe ingredient quantities is appreciated.
>
> For example, a recipe calls for 11 different
> ingredients (water, flour, egg, salt, etc.),
> and this recipe feeds, say, 4 servings. I'm
> looking for a program to convert the recipe,
> line-by-line, to feed, say, 90 servings. I'm
> looking for it to convert recipes into large
> batch serving sizes, so to merely convert, say,
> one spoonful of salt into 120 spoonfuls of salt
> is not helpful! It needs to convert it into
> something easily measurable (kilos, pounds,
> etc.)
>
> I know there are all-purpose conversion programs,
> but these are painstaking when going line-by-line,
> ingredient-by-ingredient.
>

> Also, a big, sincere 'thank you' to everyone in
> this group for all the great contributions in the
> past.
>

> Dennis

Um, you do know that simply increasing such quantities beyond a certain
point will _not_ give you what you want?

Boosting 4 to 8 or 10, perhaps 16, is fine, but once you get over 20 it
is an art all of itself. I used to work for a bloke who could do it in
his head, and I have met chefs who would do it with a pencil and paper
and a very worried look! (I used to work in catering)

Cheers,
Gary B-)

whether you were up them with or not
- Barry Humphries

Neufie

      28th Aug 2003

"Dennis James" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> Any help in tracking down a program to convert
> recipe ingredient quantities is appreciated.
>
> For example, a recipe calls for 11 different
> ingredients (water, flour, egg, salt, etc.),
> and this recipe feeds, say, 4 servings. I'm
> looking for a program to convert the recipe,
> line-by-line, to feed, say, 90 servings. I'm
> looking for it to convert recipes into large
> batch serving sizes, so to merely convert, say,
> one spoonful of salt into 120 spoonfuls of salt
> is not helpful! It needs to convert it into
> something easily measurable (kilos, pounds,
> etc.)
>
> I know there are all-purpose conversion programs,
> but these are painstaking when going line-by-line,
> ingredient-by-ingredient.
>

> Also, a big, sincere 'thank you' to everyone in
> this group for all the great contributions in the
> past.
>

> Dennis

You may run into problems, when you convert volume into weight, but here's
an online converter:
http://www.globalgourmet.com/cgi-bin...ts+usequiv+new

      28th Aug 2003
Dennis James wrote:
> Any help in tracking down a program to convert
> recipe ingredient quantities is appreciated.

Meal-Master is a DOS recipe program that does this and is freeware.

http://home1.gte.net/welliver/

--
I know God will not give me anything I can't handle.
I just wish that He didn't trust me so much. - Mother Teresa