Product Key, but no disk.

Blaine

      6th Nov 2008
I need to reinstall Windows XP Home, but can't find my disk. The Key however
is on a sticker on my case. Can I use someone elses disk, and just input my
numbers? Thanks.

usasma

      6th Nov 2008
Probably the easiest way to remedy this is to contact the manufacturer of the
PC and ask for a set of restore/recovery disks. Some manufacturer's give
them out for free, while others charge a small fee.

- John

"Blaine" wrote:

> I need to reinstall Windows XP Home, but can't find my disk. The Key however
> is on a sticker on my case. Can I use someone elses disk, and just input my
> numbers? Thanks.

PaulM

      6th Nov 2008
Yes you can. Make sure it is Home or Pro.

--
Paul's XP and Vista Tweaks
www.paulsxp.com

Paul's XP and Vista Help Forum
www.paulsxp.com/forum

LiveSupport
-------------------
www.supportspace.com/?aiu=paulm

"Blaine" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> I need to reinstall Windows XP Home, but can't find my disk. The Key
> however
> is on a sticker on my case. Can I use someone elses disk, and just input
> my
> numbers? Thanks.

Malke

      6th Nov 2008
Blaine wrote:

> I need to reinstall Windows XP Home, but can't find my disk. The Key
> however
> is on a sticker on my case. Can I use someone elses disk, and just input
> my
> numbers? Thanks.

Since you have the Product Key this is probably an OEM install; therefore
you will need a same-brand or generic OEM install disk. A retail XP Home
disk won't work, nor will a branded OEM for a different make of computer (a
Dell when you're trying to install on an HP) that is BIOS-locked to a
particular motherboard. However, if you have a friend who has the same type
of computer - both Dells for instance - then certainly you can use her Dell
XP Home install disk. In that particular case, you won't even need to enter
the Product Key during installation.

If you have an OEM machine like an HP, Compaq, Gateway, etc. it would be a
better idea to contact their tech support and order recovery disks. These
are usually very inexpensive and will return your computer to factory
condition, including all the necessary drivers for your hardware.

If you'd like more help, please post back with the make/model of your
computer.

Malke
--
MS-MVP
Elephant Boy Computers - Don't Panic!

PaulM

      6th Nov 2008
Thatís bull!! All Xp home and Pro cd are the same, itís the Key that will
determine if its OEM or not.

--
Paul's XP and Vista Tweaks
www.paulsxp.com

Paul's XP and Vista Help Forum
www.paulsxp.com/forum

LiveSupport
-------------------
www.supportspace.com/?aiu=paulm

"Malke" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> Blaine wrote:
>
>> I need to reinstall Windows XP Home, but can't find my disk. The Key
>> however
>> is on a sticker on my case. Can I use someone elses disk, and just input
>> my
>> numbers? Thanks.

> Since you have the Product Key this is probably an OEM install; therefore
> you will need a same-brand or generic OEM install disk. A retail XP Home
> disk won't work, nor will a branded OEM for a different make of computer
> (a
> Dell when you're trying to install on an HP) that is BIOS-locked to a
> particular motherboard. However, if you have a friend who has the same
> type
> of computer - both Dells for instance - then certainly you can use her
> Dell
> XP Home install disk. In that particular case, you won't even need to
> enter
> the Product Key during installation.
>
> If you have an OEM machine like an HP, Compaq, Gateway, etc. it would be a
> better idea to contact their tech support and order recovery disks. These
> are usually very inexpensive and will return your computer to factory
> condition, including all the necessary drivers for your hardware.
>
> If you'd like more help, please post back with the make/model of your
> computer.
>
> Malke
> --
> MS-MVP
> Elephant Boy Computers - Don't Panic!
> FAQ - http://www.elephantboycomputers.com/#FAQ

Malke

      6th Nov 2008
PaulM wrote:

> That?s bull!! All Xp home and Pro cd are the same, it?s the Key that will
> determine if its OEM or not.

I'm sorry but you are incorrect.

Malke
--
MS-MVP
Elephant Boy Computers - Don't Panic!

Blaine

      6th Nov 2008
The sticker says it's an OEM product, but it was built by small local shop,
that has since gone out of business.

"Blaine" wrote:

> I need to reinstall Windows XP Home, but can't find my disk. The Key however
> is on a sticker on my case. Can I use someone elses disk, and just input my
> numbers? Thanks.

Richard in AZ

      6th Nov 2008
In that case, another Store-bought OEM disk will work, even if you borrow it. A big-box vendors
OEM most likely will not as they are keyed to having a specific set of BIOS chips.

"Blaine" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
| The sticker says it's an OEM product, but it was built by small local shop,
| that has since gone out of business.
|
| "Blaine" wrote:
|
| > I need to reinstall Windows XP Home, but can't find my disk. The Key however
| > is on a sticker on my case. Can I use someone elses disk, and just input my
| > numbers? Thanks.

PaulM

      6th Nov 2008
I can use any XP home or Pro CD to install on any computer with their key. I
have done it many times.

--
Paul's XP and Vista Tweaks
www.paulsxp.com

Paul's XP and Vista Help Forum
www.paulsxp.com/forum

LiveSupport
-------------------
www.supportspace.com/?aiu=paulm

"Malke" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:#(E-Mail Removed)...
> PaulM wrote:
>
>> That?s bull!! All Xp home and Pro cd are the same, it?s the Key that will
>> determine if its OEM or not.
>>

> I'm sorry but you are incorrect.
>
> Malke
> --
> MS-MVP
> Elephant Boy Computers - Don't Panic!
> FAQ - http://www.elephantboycomputers.com/#FAQ

Patrick Keenan

      6th Nov 2008
"Blaine" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
>I need to reinstall Windows XP Home, but can't find my disk. The Key
>however
> is on a sticker on my case. Can I use someone elses disk, and just input
> my
> numbers? Thanks.

Only if the disk you borrow is of the same type, ie. OEM (specific vendor),
OEM (generic), Upgrade, Retail, VL, etc. You'll find out fairly early in
the install.

Do back up your system first, and if you have a spare drive to pop in place,
you can test the key and disck combination without risking your current
setup.

HTH
-pk