Process.Start throws exception when starting firefox after firefox crashes

Gene Chang

      23rd Oct 2007
I have an application that starts the default browser by using
Process.Start(URL). The one time that I get a file not found
exception is when Firefox has crashed and comes up with the "Firefox -
Restore Previous Session" screen.

It does seem to start up but for some reason an exception is thrown
because the browser hasn't started.

Does anyone know why I get the exception in this case? I don't want
to just eat the exception because the thing I start isn't necessarily
a URL. It could be any format that may not have a default
application. In that case, I want to notify the user that there isn't
anything to handle it.

Thanks.

Gene Chang

cokkiy

      24th Oct 2007
Maybe the url is in bad format.
"Gene Chang" <(E-Mail Removed)> ????
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
>I have an application that starts the default browser by using
> Process.Start(URL). The one time that I get a file not found
> exception is when Firefox has crashed and comes up with the "Firefox -
> Restore Previous Session" screen.
>
> It does seem to start up but for some reason an exception is thrown
> because the browser hasn't started.
>
> Does anyone know why I get the exception in this case? I don't want
> to just eat the exception because the thing I start isn't necessarily
> a URL. It could be any format that may not have a default
> application. In that case, I want to notify the user that there isn't
> anything to handle it.
>
> Thanks.
>
> Gene Chang

Gene

      25th Oct 2007
Nope. The URL format is fine. It looks like it might be a known
Firefox issue. I get the file not found error, but Firefox still
opens properly with the correct page. What I'm going to do is to
detect if firefox is the default http application. If it is and the
error is 2 (file not found), then I'm going to eat the exception. Not
sure if there is any other way...

Thanks.

Gene