Process Performance Counter is Disabled

Rick

      13th Nov 2008
I recently update my Windows XP from SP2 to SP3; after the update my
application generates the following error message:
"Process Performance Counter is Disabled, so the requested operation cannot
be performed."

I have done the following but none helped:

Set the registry value of "Disable Performance Counters" to 0
Removed the registry entry "Disable Performance Counters"
Re-added the registry entry "Disable Performance Counters" with default value
Set the registry value of "Disable Performance Counters" to 0

What am I doing wrong?

John John (MVP)

      13th Nov 2008
Perhaps the counters are corrupt, try rebuilding the counter library
values and see if it fixes things.

How to manually rebuild Performance Counter Library values
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/300956

John

Rick wrote:
> I recently update my Windows XP from SP2 to SP3; after the update my
> application generates the following error message:
> "Process Performance Counter is Disabled, so the requested operation cannot
> be performed."
>
> I have done the following but none helped:
>
> Set the registry value of "Disable Performance Counters" to 0
> Removed the registry entry "Disable Performance Counters"
> Re-added the registry entry "Disable Performance Counters" with default value
> Set the registry value of "Disable Performance Counters" to 0
>
> What am I doing wrong?

Ryan

      13th Nov 2008
John,
Does this article apply to Windows XP?
Also, I don't have the CD to copy Perfc009.dat file and the Perfh009.dat
file. Can they be downloaded from somewhere? Thanks

"John John (MVP)" wrote:

> Perhaps the counters are corrupt, try rebuilding the counter library
> values and see if it fixes things.
>
> How to manually rebuild Performance Counter Library values
> http://support.microsoft.com/kb/300956
>
> John
>
> Rick wrote:
> > I recently update my Windows XP from SP2 to SP3; after the update my
> > application generates the following error message:
> > "Process Performance Counter is Disabled, so the requested operation cannot
> > be performed."
> >
> > I have done the following but none helped:
> >
> > Set the registry value of "Disable Performance Counters" to 0
> > Removed the registry entry "Disable Performance Counters"
> > Re-added the registry entry "Disable Performance Counters" with default value
> > Set the registry value of "Disable Performance Counters" to 0
> >
> > What am I doing wrong?

John John (MVP)

      13th Nov 2008
Yes, it will also work on XP Professional. It should also work with XP
Home but I am not 100% sure, when you use the lodctr command you might
hit a snag and get a message saying that a certain registry key or value
is missing, if you get the message take note of the *exact* registry key
or value and try manually crating it and then try the command again.
The Perfc009 and Perfh009 files should be in your i386 folder on your
hard drive.

John