Problems connecting to Oracle 9i database with Oracle 10g Client and Win XP x64

Sacha Korell

      17th Oct 2006
Hardware/Software:
Dell Precision 490 with Intel Xeon 64 bit processor running MS Windows XP
Professional x64 Edition Version 2003 Service pack 1.
Visual Studio .NET 2005
Oracle 10g Client

I am trying to run my ASP.NET application from the above mentioned computer
that connects to an Oracle 9i database on another machine on the network,
but get the following error when using the OLEDB provider for Oracle:

Oracle client and networking components were not found. These components are
supplied by Oracle Corporation and are part of the Oracle Version 7.3.3 or
later client software installation.
Provider is unable to function until these components are installed.

I have tried setting the correct permissions on the Oracle Home folder
without any success.

I get the same error if I'm just trying to connect to that same database
using the Server Explorer and the .NET Framework Data Provider for OLE DB.

When I try to use the .NET Framework Data Provider for Oracle, I get the
following error:

Attempt to load Oracle client libraries threw BadImageFormatException. This
problem will occur when running in 64 bit mode with the 32 bit Oracle client
components installed.

How do you actually install the 64 bit Oracle client components? During the
install of the Oracle 10g Client I was nver presented with an option to
either install 64 bit or 32 bit components.

All this worked fine before I upgraded my computer and was still able to run
the Oracle 9i client.
Any suggestions that might help connect to my database again are
appreciated. Surely I'm not the first person that has this problem, but I
haven't found any solutions out there yet.

Thanks,
Sacha

David Browne

      17th Oct 2006

"Sacha Korell" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:OU9#(E-Mail Removed)...
> Hardware/Software:
> Dell Precision 490 with Intel Xeon 64 bit processor running MS Windows XP
> Professional x64 Edition Version 2003 Service pack 1.
> Visual Studio .NET 2005
> Oracle 10g Client

.. . ..
> How do you actually install the 64 bit Oracle client components? During
> the install of the Oracle 10g Client I was nver presented with an option
> to either install 64 bit or 32 bit components.
> . . ..

The 64bit (x64) Oracle client is a separate download. And there are some
patches for it the 10.2.0.1 x64 client you'll need too.

And you also need to make sure that your 64bit processes find the 64bit
OCI.DLL in the path before they find the 32bit OCI.DLL.

Alternatively (on Windows Server 2003) you can run your web apps in 32bit
mode, and use the 32bit Oracle Client.
http://www.microsoft.com/technet/pro....mspx?mfr=true

David

Sacha Korell

      17th Oct 2006
David,

Thanks for the quick reply.

I decided to got with the 32 bit solution and finally got my database
connection from the web app back. However, I still can't connect to the
database using the Server Explorer. I have tried both providers, OLEDB and
the Oracle Provider without any success.

Thanks,
Sacha

"David Browne" <davidbaxterbrowne no potted (E-Mail Removed)> wrote in
message news:(E-Mail Removed)...