Problem with Terminal Services

=?Utf-8?B?QW5kcmV3IE1jR3Jhdw==?=

      28th Oct 2004
I am having an issue with Terminal Services on 2000. I have XP
clients that cannot connect through a firewall. To be specific, I
have 2 clients that can connect, and all others can't. As far as I
can tell the 2 clients have no different settings.

TS on the server is version 5.0. All clients are 5.1. We even tried
changing the port on the server but have still been unsuccessful,
except for the two XP laptops.

I put a sniffer on the network, and it doesn't appear that traffic
even occurs between clients and the server. All clients can ping the
server and can hit the admin share on the c drive. I even put a pc on
the DMZ with the server and will still unable to connect, so it does
not appear to be the FW.

The only thing I can think of is maybe the certificates are screwed
up. I tried the MS link on how to repair certificates (delteing a
registry key) but it still didn't work.

Does anyone have a suggestion on how I can get this to work?

--
Network Engineer
MCSE, Network+

Pegasus \(MVP\)

      28th Oct 2004

"Andrew McGraw" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> I am having an issue with Terminal Services on 2000. I have XP
> clients that cannot connect through a firewall. To be specific, I
> have 2 clients that can connect, and all others can't. As far as I
> can tell the 2 clients have no different settings.
>
> TS on the server is version 5.0. All clients are 5.1. We even tried
> changing the port on the server but have still been unsuccessful,
> except for the two XP laptops.
>
> I put a sniffer on the network, and it doesn't appear that traffic
> even occurs between clients and the server. All clients can ping the
> server and can hit the admin share on the c drive. I even put a pc on
> the DMZ with the server and will still unable to connect, so it does
> not appear to be the FW.
>
> The only thing I can think of is maybe the certificates are screwed
> up. I tried the MS link on how to repair certificates (delteing a
> registry key) but it still didn't work.
>
> Does anyone have a suggestion on how I can get this to work?
>
> --
> Network Engineer
> MCSE, Network+

What happens when you use telnet.exe (with the appropriate
port) instead of the TS client?

=?Utf-8?B?QW5kcmV3IE1jR3Jhdw==?=

      28th Oct 2004
If we attempt to telnet to the server using the new port (or the old port) we
get teh connection attempt failed message. (Sorry, should have specified this
earlier)

"Pegasus (MVP)" wrote:

> "Andrew McGraw" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> > I am having an issue with Terminal Services on 2000. I have XP
> > clients that cannot connect through a firewall. To be specific, I
> > have 2 clients that can connect, and all others can't. As far as I
> > can tell the 2 clients have no different settings.
> >
> > TS on the server is version 5.0. All clients are 5.1. We even tried
> > changing the port on the server but have still been unsuccessful,
> > except for the two XP laptops.
> >
> > I put a sniffer on the network, and it doesn't appear that traffic
> > even occurs between clients and the server. All clients can ping the
> > server and can hit the admin share on the c drive. I even put a pc on
> > the DMZ with the server and will still unable to connect, so it does
> > not appear to be the FW.
> >
> > The only thing I can think of is maybe the certificates are screwed
> > up. I tried the MS link on how to repair certificates (delteing a
> > registry key) but it still didn't work.
> >
> > Does anyone have a suggestion on how I can get this to work?
> >
> > --
> > Network Engineer
> > MCSE, Network+

> What happens when you use telnet.exe (with the appropriate
> port) instead of the TS client?

Pegasus \(MVP\)

      28th Oct 2004
Since telnet fails too, the problem does obviously not relate
to terminal services. Something is preventing your packets
from geting through, either a firewall or a router. Put on a sniffer
(e.g. Ethereal) and start analysing your traffic.