problem with 'spoolsv.exe' process

Miha

      22nd Feb 2005
Hi

We have Windows 2000 Small Business Server, that is also an application and
terminal server.
All users (about 10) are connected to server using application installed on
it, and also about 2-3 terminal users.
The problem is, that the 'spoolsv.exe' process is using 50-55% all the time,
and when some user prints something from application it get's to 80-90%, and
stays there.
I restarded 'print spooler' service, and CPU got back to normallu usage, but
after a few minutes 'spoolsv.exe' back to 50% of CPU.
I checked server for viruses and spyware...
What could cause this? Any help or information what to look would be
appriciated.

Best regards
Miha

John John

      22nd Feb 2005
Spooler Failure Causes High CPU Usage in the Winlogon.exe and
Spoolsv.exe Processes on a Windows 2000 Terminal Server

Also, install SP4 if you haven't already done so.

John

Miha wrote:

> Hi
>
> We have Windows 2000 Small Business Server, that is also an application and
> terminal server.
> All users (about 10) are connected to server using application installed on
> it, and also about 2-3 terminal users.
> The problem is, that the 'spoolsv.exe' process is using 50-55% all the time,
> and when some user prints something from application it get's to 80-90%, and
> stays there.
> I restarded 'print spooler' service, and CPU got back to normallu usage, but
> after a few minutes 'spoolsv.exe' back to 50% of CPU.
> I checked server for viruses and spyware...
> What could cause this? Any help or information what to look would be
> appriciated.
>
> Best regards
> Miha

Mal Osborne

      22nd Feb 2005
Crappy Printer driver?

Unsingned printer drivers can cause all sorts of problems, including this.

Mal Osborne
MCSE MVP Mensa

news:(E-Mail Removed)...