Problem setting up user profiles

=?Utf-8?B?YnA=?=

      27th Nov 2005
I have XP SP-2, Home Edition

Tried to set up a 'limited' user so that I could let the kids use the
computer. It sets up fine, but when I try to log on as them, I get an error
message telling me that there's no user profile for them.

Steven L Umbach

      27th Nov 2005
The user profile is built for a user the first time they logon to the
computer and you will see a folder with the username under documents and
settings. If the problem continues try creating another user account. If the
problem still continues it sounds like your permissions to the documents and
settings folder is out of whack. By default system and administrators should
have full control of that folder and everyone and users have
read/list/execute. The link below shows how to configure NTFS permissions in
XP. I would also be sure to run scans for viruses and spyware on your
computer right away since you are experiencing strange behavior being sure
to use the latest definitions/updates fro each program that you can download
from the vendors website. AdAware SE is a great program for detecting and
removing spyware and is free for personal use. Also use Event Viewer to
check your system and application logs for anything recorded there that may
provide a clue. --- Steve

http://www.microsoft.com/athome/secu...2/Default.mspx
--- Protect Your PC tips
http://www.download.com/3000-2094-10045910.html --- AdAware SE download.

"bp" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
>I have XP SP-2, Home Edition
>
> Tried to set up a 'limited' user so that I could let the kids use the
> computer. It sets up fine, but when I try to log on as them, I get an
> error
> message telling me that there's no user profile for them.

=?Utf-8?B?YnA=?=

      27th Nov 2005
I think I found the article about configuring the NTFS permissions (I think
you forgot the link). It told me to select "Use Simple File Sharing", which
isn't listed as an option in my folder properties. While in there, I did
click a button to restore all defaults.

I also ran AdAware and Spybot. Both found and eliminated a few things.

I also installed the UPHclean program, to make sure that the existing
profiles were closing.

I seem to still be having the problem.

Also, if I set the account with administrator permissions, I get a message
saying that it can't find the profile, and is just using a default one.

(this is in addition to the message I get with the accout set to 'Limited'.

thanks for the help.

"Steven L Umbach" wrote:

> The user profile is built for a user the first time they logon to the
> computer and you will see a folder with the username under documents and
> settings. If the problem continues try creating another user account. If the
> problem still continues it sounds like your permissions to the documents and
> settings folder is out of whack. By default system and administrators should
> have full control of that folder and everyone and users have
> read/list/execute. The link below shows how to configure NTFS permissions in
> XP. I would also be sure to run scans for viruses and spyware on your
> computer right away since you are experiencing strange behavior being sure
> to use the latest definitions/updates fro each program that you can download
> from the vendors website. AdAware SE is a great program for detecting and
> removing spyware and is free for personal use. Also use Event Viewer to
> check your system and application logs for anything recorded there that may
> provide a clue. --- Steve
>
> http://www.microsoft.com/athome/secu...2/Default.mspx
> --- Protect Your PC tips
> http://www.download.com/3000-2094-10045910.html --- AdAware SE download.
>
> "bp" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> >I have XP SP-2, Home Edition
> >
> > Tried to set up a 'limited' user so that I could let the kids use the
> > computer. It sets up fine, but when I try to log on as them, I get an
> > error
> > message telling me that there's no user profile for them.

Steven L Umbach

      27th Nov 2005
Sorry I forgot the link. It is below. There is not an option to disable
simple file sharing in XP Home but you can boot into Safe Mode and logon as
local administrator to then see the security tab for folders. Were there any
error or warning messages in the system or application log?? Also try
searching Google for the exact error message you get as often you will find
more information and possible solutions though it sounds like a permissision
problem. --- Steve