PC Review

problem sending attachments

20th Sep 2007
Each month I send out to 40 members of a group, e-mails, some with attachments. Two people cannot open their attachments and they are both on virgin.net. Although I have Vista on a new machine I save the word document in 2003 on an old HP computer which now is without internet and then transfer by USB port to my new Dell with Tiscali. The USB pen immediately converts the Word 2003 document into Word 2007, although I want it to stay 2003 as I feel this may be the problem why the two recipients cannot open the attachments. They can open mail without but not with. How can I get round this? As secretary I need to send to many people all with different ISPs and machines.

Rocket Scientist

21st Sep 2007
You can save it on your Vista machine with Word 2007, if you click on the round logo in the top left and pick "save as" there should be an option to save as an older format in the drop down box at the bottom (saying something like Microsoft Word 2000-2003 (.doc)).

21st Sep 2007
Thank you for your reply. I already tried 'save as' in a different older format but the only option is for Word 97-2003 which I feel may be the problem. It may be just co-incidence that both recipients are on virgin.net I can only assume that the 2 recipients have older machines and software. This is a voluntary group and not a company therefore I have no say in which software they are using. I was hoping there was a way round it apart from sending out information in snail mail.

Rocket Scientist

21st Sep 2007
It could be that they have attachments blocked in their mail application. What might be worth a shot is a free upload site so people can download it manually as an alternative (http://files-upload.com/ is one example).

It is unlikely that this problem is at your end, so the only other way would be to troubleshoot it from the recipient end.

Hope that helps

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: