Problem registerig ocx through windows logon script

Neil

      28th Sep 2007
I am developing an Access 2000 app that uses the Microsoft Rich Textbox
control. I asked the system administrator to add the line to register the
OCX to each user's Windows login script, as follows:

regsvr32 "c:\windows\system32\richtx32.ocx" /s

Today I had a user update to the new version for testing, but he couldn't
run it. I then had him run the regsvr32 command from Start | Run, and it
cleared up the problem. So, apparently, the above line in his logon script
didn't do the job of registering the control. (The user was running Windows
XP -- and most machines are on XP.)

So I notified the system admin, and he checked that person's machine, and
said that everything was in order. He didn't know why the control didn't
register.

So I'm stumped. Any ideas why the above line didn't work to register the ocx
on this person's machine, but he had to run the command manually?

Thanks,

Neil

Alex Dybenko

      28th Sep 2007
Hi,
you don't need to register ocx at logon, you need to this only once and
under administrator account.

--
Best regards,
___________

news:HF_Ki.1401$(E-Mail Removed)...
>I am developing an Access 2000 app that uses the Microsoft Rich Textbox
> control. I asked the system administrator to add the line to register the
> OCX to each user's Windows login script, as follows:
>
> regsvr32 "c:\windows\system32\richtx32.ocx" /s
>
> Today I had a user update to the new version for testing, but he couldn't
> run it. I then had him run the regsvr32 command from Start | Run, and it
> cleared up the problem. So, apparently, the above line in his logon script
> didn't do the job of registering the control. (The user was running
> Windows
> XP -- and most machines are on XP.)
>
> So I notified the system admin, and he checked that person's machine, and
> said that everything was in order. He didn't know why the control didn't
> register.
>
> So I'm stumped. Any ideas why the above line didn't work to register the
> ocx
> on this person's machine, but he had to run the command manually?
>
> Thanks,
>
> Neil

Neil

      28th Sep 2007
I understand that you only need to do it once; but we felt that this was a
simple way to make sure that everyone was registered, even if it was done
multiple times.

So, the questions remain:

1) Should it work under the Windows logon (even if it is unnecessary to do
it multiple times), using the below command?

2) And, if so, then why did it not work, but only worked when the user
manually ran the command using Start | Run?

Thanks for your assistance!

Neil

"Alex Dybenko" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> Hi,
> you don't need to register ocx at logon, you need to this only once and
> under administrator account.
>
> --
> Best regards,
> ___________
> Alex Dybenko (MVP)
> http://alexdyb.blogspot.com
> http://www.PointLtd.com
>
> "Neil" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:HF_Ki.1401$(E-Mail Removed)...
>>I am developing an Access 2000 app that uses the Microsoft Rich Textbox
>> control. I asked the system administrator to add the line to register the
>> OCX to each user's Windows login script, as follows:
>>
>> regsvr32 "c:\windows\system32\richtx32.ocx" /s
>>
>> Today I had a user update to the new version for testing, but he couldn't
>> run it. I then had him run the regsvr32 command from Start | Run, and it
>> cleared up the problem. So, apparently, the above line in his logon
>> script
>> didn't do the job of registering the control. (The user was running
>> Windows
>> XP -- and most machines are on XP.)
>>
>> So I notified the system admin, and he checked that person's machine, and
>> said that everything was in order. He didn't know why the control didn't
>> register.
>>
>> So I'm stumped. Any ideas why the above line didn't work to register the
>> ocx
>> on this person's machine, but he had to run the command manually?
>>
>> Thanks,
>>
>> Neil

Alex Dybenko

      29th Sep 2007
1 - should work, if user is administrator. you can remove /s switch to check
this.

Still recommend to do this only once during setup.

--
Best regards,
___________

news:We3Li.1768$(E-Mail Removed)...
>I understand that you only need to do it once; but we felt that this was a
>simple way to make sure that everyone was registered, even if it was done
>multiple times.
>
> So, the questions remain:
>
> 1) Should it work under the Windows logon (even if it is unnecessary to do
> it multiple times), using the below command?
>
> 2) And, if so, then why did it not work, but only worked when the user
> manually ran the command using Start | Run?
>
> Thanks for your assistance!
>
> Neil
>
> "Alex Dybenko" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:(E-Mail Removed)...
>> Hi,
>> you don't need to register ocx at logon, you need to this only once and
>> under administrator account.
>>
>> --
>> Best regards,
>> ___________
>> Alex Dybenko (MVP)
>> http://alexdyb.blogspot.com
>> http://www.PointLtd.com
>>
>> "Neil" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
>> news:HF_Ki.1401$(E-Mail Removed)...
>>>I am developing an Access 2000 app that uses the Microsoft Rich Textbox
>>> control. I asked the system administrator to add the line to register
>>> the
>>> OCX to each user's Windows login script, as follows:
>>>
>>> regsvr32 "c:\windows\system32\richtx32.ocx" /s
>>>
>>> Today I had a user update to the new version for testing, but he
>>> couldn't
>>> run it. I then had him run the regsvr32 command from Start | Run, and it
>>> cleared up the problem. So, apparently, the above line in his logon
>>> script
>>> didn't do the job of registering the control. (The user was running
>>> Windows
>>> XP -- and most machines are on XP.)
>>>
>>> So I notified the system admin, and he checked that person's machine,
>>> and
>>> said that everything was in order. He didn't know why the control didn't
>>> register.
>>>
>>> So I'm stumped. Any ideas why the above line didn't work to register the
>>> ocx
>>> on this person's machine, but he had to run the command manually?
>>>
>>> Thanks,
>>>
>>> Neil

Neil

      1st Oct 2007
I don't think the user is an administrator. But, as noted, they were able to
run the command through Start | Run.

So, is that the way it should be: if user is not an administrator, the
command in the logon script will not work, but the user will be able to run
it through Start | Run?

"Alex Dybenko" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:%(E-Mail Removed)...
>1 - should work, if user is administrator. you can remove /s switch to
>check this.
>
> Still recommend to do this only once during setup.
>

> --
> Best regards,
> ___________
> Alex Dybenko (MVP)
> http://alexdyb.blogspot.com
> http://www.PointLtd.com
>
> "Neil" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:We3Li.1768$(E-Mail Removed)...
>>I understand that you only need to do it once; but we felt that this was a
>>simple way to make sure that everyone was registered, even if it was done
>>multiple times.
>>
>> So, the questions remain:
>>
>> 1) Should it work under the Windows logon (even if it is unnecessary to
>> do it multiple times), using the below command?
>>
>> 2) And, if so, then why did it not work, but only worked when the user
>> manually ran the command using Start | Run?
>>
>> Thanks for your assistance!
>>
>> Neil
>>
>> "Alex Dybenko" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
>> news:(E-Mail Removed)...
>>> Hi,
>>> you don't need to register ocx at logon, you need to this only once and
>>> under administrator account.
>>>
>>> --
>>> Best regards,
>>> ___________
>>> Alex Dybenko (MVP)
>>> http://alexdyb.blogspot.com
>>> http://www.PointLtd.com
>>>
>>> "Neil" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
>>> news:HF_Ki.1401$(E-Mail Removed)...

Alex Dybenko

      1st Oct 2007
Hi,
actually, if use does not have administrative rights - regsvr32 will fail,
whatever way you run it

--
Best regards,
___________

news:%wZLi.1301$(E-Mail Removed)...
>I don't think the user is an administrator. But, as noted, they were able
>to run the command through Start | Run.
>
> So, is that the way it should be: if user is not an administrator, the
> command in the logon script will not work, but the user will be able to
> run it through Start | Run?
>

> "Alex Dybenko" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:%(E-Mail Removed)...
>>1 - should work, if user is administrator. you can remove /s switch to
>>check this.
>>
>> Still recommend to do this only once during setup.
>>

>> --
>> Best regards,
>> ___________
>> Alex Dybenko (MVP)
>> http://alexdyb.blogspot.com
>> http://www.PointLtd.com
>>
>> "Neil" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
>> news:We3Li.1768$(E-Mail Removed)...
>>>I understand that you only need to do it once; but we felt that this was
>>>a simple way to make sure that everyone was registered, even if it was
>>>done multiple times.
>>>
>>> So, the questions remain:
>>>
>>> 1) Should it work under the Windows logon (even if it is unnecessary to
>>> do it multiple times), using the below command?
>>>
>>> 2) And, if so, then why did it not work, but only worked when the user
>>> manually ran the command using Start | Run?
>>>
>>> Thanks for your assistance!
>>>
>>> Neil
>>>
>>> "Alex Dybenko" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
>>> news:(E-Mail Removed)...

Pieter Wijnen

      1st Oct 2007
see http://trigeminal.com/usenet/usenet026.asp?1033

Declare Function RegRich Lib "richtx32.ocx" Alias "DllRegisterServer" () As
Long
should work

HtH

Pieter

news:HF_Ki.1401$(E-Mail Removed)...
>I am developing an Access 2000 app that uses the Microsoft Rich Textbox
> control. I asked the system administrator to add the line to register the
> OCX to each user's Windows login script, as follows:
>
> regsvr32 "c:\windows\system32\richtx32.ocx" /s
>
> Today I had a user update to the new version for testing, but he couldn't
> run it. I then had him run the regsvr32 command from Start | Run, and it
> cleared up the problem. So, apparently, the above line in his logon script
> didn't do the job of registering the control. (The user was running
> Windows
> XP -- and most machines are on XP.)
>
> So I notified the system admin, and he checked that person's machine, and
> said that everything was in order. He didn't know why the control didn't
> register.
>
> So I'm stumped. Any ideas why the above line didn't work to register the
> ocx
> on this person's machine, but he had to run the command manually?
>
> Thanks,
>
> Neil

Karl E. Peterson

      1st Oct 2007
Neil <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
> I don't think the user is an administrator. But, as noted, they were able to
> run the command through Start | Run.

How do you know that, if you used the /s(ilent) switch???
--
..NET: It's About Trust!
http://vfred.mvps.org

Neil

      2nd Oct 2007
Didn't use the /s switch with the Start | Run command, only in the login
script.

But, regardless, the original point was:

- command was run through login script; was presumed to have worked
- user opened form that relied on ocx; got error
- user ran command through Start | Run (without /s switch); problem was
resolved.

Ergo: command worked when run through Start | Run, but not when run through
login script. Why? User has same rights either way.

"Karl E. Peterson" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> Neil <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>> I don't think the user is an administrator. But, as noted, they were able
>> run the command through Start | Run.

> How do you know that, if you used the /s(ilent) switch???
> --
> .NET: It's About Trust!
> http://vfred.mvps.org

Neil

      2nd Oct 2007
Then it's strange that error would go away after the user ran the command
through Start | Run. If command didn't work through login, then it shouldn't
have worked through Start | Run.

news:Ot2O98$(E-Mail Removed)...