Problem with Printer Spooler Service

Erik Mostert

      18th May 2010

I know that this forum is for XP related issues, but I am desperate i
my search for an answer on the following scenario.

I have a print server running Windows 2003 with the latest servic
packs and updates. For as long as I have been working at the company
there has been issues with printing every now and again. We hav
recently the problems have become much more frequent and we started t
investigate the problems more seriously and found the following:

Each time the users are experiencing printing problems, there is
string of Event ID 6161 errors in the System Event Log. We found tha
an error occurs somewhere in the printing subsystem, but that the even
is logged with an "error code 0 - Command completed successfully"

Restarting the printer spooler appears to solve the problem temporaril
but we need to find a permanent solution to the problem.

Recently we also noticed that sometimes when we restart the printe
spooler we are unable to see any local printers in the Printers an
Faxes folder. When this occurs we are also unable to add any new loca
printers. These symptoms appears to be similar to a user who does no
have admin rights on the machine, yet we are logging in with only on
account and that account has full admin rights on the machine.
Sometimes if you restart the printer spooler several times, the proble
disappears and we can see all of the printers and add new local printer
again. This is a strange problem which I have never seen before.

Any ideas?

Regards

Erik Mostert

Alan Morris [MSFT]

      21st May 2010

If you also hit error 6162 you have an application that leaks GDI resources.
Yes GDI likes to return success when it fails and the spooler happily passes
along this information. The Office 2003 MODI printer has this issue (there
was a patch later for this) but I recall there was a veterinary application
that had the same issue.

Track the GDI resources using task manager when logged onto the console of
the local machine. If you TS to the machine be sure to run "mstsc /console"
..

taskman
Processes
View
Select Columns
GDI Objects

be sure to check Show processes for all users

If spoolsv.exe gets above 500 most likely you have some issue. Any process
at 10000 GDI objects can no longer allocate any more objects and weird stuff
fails.

If you only see 0 GDI object for spooler you are not in the console session.

Here's the link to the TechNet print / fax forum.
http://social.technet.microsoft.com/...rprint/threads

--
Alan Morris
Windows Printing Team

"Erik Mostert" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...

> I know that this forum is for XP related issues, but I am desperate in
> my search for an answer on the following scenario.
>
> I have a print server running Windows 2003 with the latest service
> packs and updates. For as long as I have been working at the company,
> there has been issues with printing every now and again. We have
> recently the problems have become much more frequent and we started to
> investigate the problems more seriously and found the following:
>
> Each time the users are experiencing printing problems, there is a
> string of Event ID 6161 errors in the System Event Log. We found that
> an error occurs somewhere in the printing subsystem, but that the event
> is logged with an "error code 0 - Command completed successfully"
>
> Restarting the printer spooler appears to solve the problem temporarily
> but we need to find a permanent solution to the problem.
>
> Recently we also noticed that sometimes when we restart the printer
> spooler we are unable to see any local printers in the Printers and
> Faxes folder. When this occurs we are also unable to add any new local
> printers. These symptoms appears to be similar to a user who does not
> have admin rights on the machine, yet we are logging in with only one
> account and that account has full admin rights on the machine.
> Sometimes if you restart the printer spooler several times, the problem
> disappears and we can see all of the printers and add new local printers
> again. This is a strange problem which I have never seen before.
>
> Any ideas?
>
> Regards
> EM
>

> --
> Erik Mostert

Erik Mostert

      21st May 2010

Hi Alan

Thank you for your feedback. I monitored the GDI objects for the las
couple of weeks and they newer go higher than 56. I think the proble
might be related to one or more of the printer drivers. We are runnin
a wide selection of 135 printers of different brands and models. I hav
now replaced the Windows Printer Spooler and have started to install th
latest available printer drivers, trying to use the Universal Printe
Drivers as far as possible. If history is to repeat itself, we expec
the problem to occur either today or during next week. I will post ne
information as soon as I have something.

--
Erik Mostert