Problem with File Settings Transfer Wizard

=?Utf-8?B?aW5majIz?=

      8th Sep 2006
I am trying to use the wizard to move setting from an old computer to a new
one. I ran the File Settings and Transfer Wizard on the old computer. The
wizard generated a folder names USMT2.UNC and two files in that folder,
IMG00001 (a DAT file) and a file named "system." I told the wizard to only
load settings, not files.

I originally put the info on a USB drive. It is too large to fit on a
floppy. I have tried copying it to a CD, to a hard drive on another computer
(to access via my home network), and on a second hard drive on the computer.

Regardless of the method I have tried, I get an error message of "The
location that you specified does not contain stored information. Please type
a valid folder path into the edit box."

Any ideas how I can get my setting into the new computer?

Thanks!

Ramesh, MS-MVP

      9th Sep 2006
Hi,

See the checkpoints at the beginning of this article:
http://windowsxp.mvps.org/fast.htm

<excerpt>

#1 Do not rename the store folder, as you may receive the following error
when attempting to restore the files and settings to your new computer:

The location that you specified does not contain stored information. Please
type a valid folder path into the edit box.

If you entered a path to a folder on a removable disk, the disk must be in
the drive.

If you've mistakenly renamed the store folder already, then rename it back
(to USMT2.UNC)

</excerpt>

--
Regards,

Ramesh Srinivasan, Microsoft MVP [Windows XP Shell/User]
Windows® XP Troubleshooting http://www.winhelponline.com

"infj23" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news(E-Mail Removed)...
I am trying to use the wizard to move setting from an old computer to a new
one. I ran the File Settings and Transfer Wizard on the old computer. The
wizard generated a folder names USMT2.UNC and two files in that folder,
IMG00001 (a DAT file) and a file named "system." I told the wizard to only
load settings, not files.

I originally put the info on a USB drive. It is too large to fit on a
floppy. I have tried copying it to a CD, to a hard drive on another computer
(to access via my home network), and on a second hard drive on the computer.

Regardless of the method I have tried, I get an error message of "The
location that you specified does not contain stored information. Please type
a valid folder path into the edit box."

Any ideas how I can get my setting into the new computer?

Thanks!

Fromtoronto

      27th Sep 2006
I have the exact same problem... I create the settings, and can restore
back onto my exisiting computer so the file is good. But cant get the
settings on the new computer.

Ramesh, MS-MVP wrote:
> Hi,
>
> See the checkpoints at the beginning of this article:
> http://windowsxp.mvps.org/fast.htm
>
> <excerpt>
>
> #1 Do not rename the store folder, as you may receive the following error
> when attempting to restore the files and settings to your new computer:
>
> The location that you specified does not contain stored information. Please
> type a valid folder path into the edit box.
>
> If you entered a path to a folder on a removable disk, the disk must be in
> the drive.
>
> If you've mistakenly renamed the store folder already, then rename it back
> (to USMT2.UNC)
>
> </excerpt>
>

> --
> Regards,
>
> Ramesh Srinivasan, Microsoft MVP [Windows XP Shell/User]
> Windows® XP Troubleshooting http://www.winhelponline.com
>

> "infj23" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news(E-Mail Removed)...
> I am trying to use the wizard to move setting from an old computer to a new
> one. I ran the File Settings and Transfer Wizard on the old computer. The
> wizard generated a folder names USMT2.UNC and two files in that folder,
> IMG00001 (a DAT file) and a file named "system." I told the wizard to only
> load settings, not files.
>
> I originally put the info on a USB drive. It is too large to fit on a
> floppy. I have tried copying it to a CD, to a hard drive on another computer
> (to access via my home network), and on a second hard drive on the computer.
>
> Regardless of the method I have tried, I get an error message of "The
> location that you specified does not contain stored information. Please type
> a valid folder path into the edit box."
>
> Any ideas how I can get my setting into the new computer?
>
> Thanks!

Ramesh, MS-MVP

      28th Sep 2006
Hi,

Please read the checkpoint #2 in the following article. That helps most
users.

http://windowsxp.mvps.org/fast.htm

--
Regards,

Ramesh Srinivasan, Microsoft MVP [Windows XP Shell/User]
Windows® XP Troubleshooting http://www.winhelponline.com

news:(E-Mail Removed)...