Problem booting computer with windows 2000

Epetruk

      18th May 2006
Hello,

I have a computer which has windows 2000 installed. When I boot it up, the
normal screens appear up to the point where the Windows 2000 banner appears.
Then the screen goes blank, the monitor light starts to blink, and nothing I
do can cause it to come back on.

The computer does work - I find that I can go into Safe Mode and see
everything on the screen. I searched online for a solution to my problem -
one post seemed to suggest that perhaps the monitor couldn't handle the
refresh rate that Windows 2000 chooses for it on start up. However, I can't
find where I might adjust this value to a mor e suitable value for the
monitor.

Any help will be gratefully received.

--
Akin

(aknak at aksoto dot idps dot co dot uk)

seth

      18th May 2006
start -> settings -> control panel -> display properties -> settings
could be the refresh rate or the resolution is too high

"Epetruk" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> Hello,
>
> I have a computer which has windows 2000 installed. When I boot it up, the
> normal screens appear up to the point where the Windows 2000 banner
> appears.
> Then the screen goes blank, the monitor light starts to blink, and nothing
> do can cause it to come back on.
>
> The computer does work - I find that I can go into Safe Mode and see
> everything on the screen. I searched online for a solution to my problem -
> one post seemed to suggest that perhaps the monitor couldn't handle the
> refresh rate that Windows 2000 chooses for it on start up. However, I
> can't
> find where I might adjust this value to a mor e suitable value for the
> monitor.
>
> Any help will be gratefully received.
>
> --
> Akin
>
> (aknak at aksoto dot idps dot co dot uk)

Glen

      18th May 2006
And if that doesn't work, boot into Safe Mode and uninstall any
existing video drivers via Add/Remove Programs (most video
drivers will have an entry here).

"seth" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message news:Ou$(E-Mail Removed)...
> start -> settings -> control panel -> display properties -> settings
> could be the refresh rate or the resolution is too high
>
> "Epetruk" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> > Hello,
> >
> > I have a computer which has windows 2000 installed. When I boot it up, the
> > normal screens appear up to the point where the Windows 2000 banner
> > appears.
> > Then the screen goes blank, the monitor light starts to blink, and nothing
> > do can cause it to come back on.
> >
> > The computer does work - I find that I can go into Safe Mode and see
> > everything on the screen. I searched online for a solution to my problem -
> > one post seemed to suggest that perhaps the monitor couldn't handle the
> > refresh rate that Windows 2000 chooses for it on start up. However, I
> > can't
> > find where I might adjust this value to a mor e suitable value for the
> > monitor.
> >
> > Any help will be gratefully received.
> >
> > --
> > Akin
> >
> > (aknak at aksoto dot idps dot co dot uk)

Epetruk

      18th May 2006
Seth,

Thank you for your answer. Unfortunately, I cannot do this.

If I try booting in regular mode, the monitor blanks out, so I cannot see
the screen to change the settings.

If I try booting in safe mode, I only see a 'default refresh rate' setting
which cannot be changed.

Any further ideas?

Akin

"seth" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:Ou$(E-Mail Removed)...
> start -> settings -> control panel -> display properties -> settings
> could be the refresh rate or the resolution is too high
>
> "Epetruk" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> > Hello,
> >
> > I have a computer which has windows 2000 installed. When I boot it up,

the
> > normal screens appear up to the point where the Windows 2000 banner
> > appears.
> > Then the screen goes blank, the monitor light starts to blink, and

nothing
> > do can cause it to come back on.
> >
> > The computer does work - I find that I can go into Safe Mode and see
> > everything on the screen. I searched online for a solution to my

problem -
> > one post seemed to suggest that perhaps the monitor couldn't handle the
> > refresh rate that Windows 2000 chooses for it on start up. However, I
> > can't
> > find where I might adjust this value to a mor e suitable value for the
> > monitor.
> >
> > Any help will be gratefully received.
> >
> > --
> > Akin
> >
> > (aknak at aksoto dot idps dot co dot uk)

Epetruk

      18th May 2006
Glen,

Did you mean Add/Remove Hardware instead of Add/Remove Programs?

Akin

"Glen" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> And if that doesn't work, boot into Safe Mode and uninstall any
> existing video drivers via Add/Remove Programs (most video
> drivers will have an entry here).
>
> "seth" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message

news:Ou$(E-Mail Removed)...
> > start -> settings -> control panel -> display properties -> settings
> > could be the refresh rate or the resolution is too high
> >
> > "Epetruk" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> > news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> > > Hello,
> > >
> > > I have a computer which has windows 2000 installed. When I boot it up,

the
> > > normal screens appear up to the point where the Windows 2000 banner
> > > appears.
> > > Then the screen goes blank, the monitor light starts to blink, and

nothing
> > > do can cause it to come back on.
> > >
> > > The computer does work - I find that I can go into Safe Mode and see
> > > everything on the screen. I searched online for a solution to my

problem -
> > > one post seemed to suggest that perhaps the monitor couldn't handle

the
> > > refresh rate that Windows 2000 chooses for it on start up. However, I
> > > can't
> > > find where I might adjust this value to a mor e suitable value for the
> > > monitor.
> > >
> > > Any help will be gratefully received.
> > >
> > > --
> > > Akin
> > >
> > > (aknak at aksoto dot idps dot co dot uk)

DL

      19th May 2006
Add/Remove Programs

"Epetruk" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> Glen,
>
> Did you mean Add/Remove Hardware instead of Add/Remove Programs?
>
> Akin
>
> "Glen" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> > And if that doesn't work, boot into Safe Mode and uninstall any
> > existing video drivers via Add/Remove Programs (most video
> > drivers will have an entry here).
> >
> > "seth" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message

> news:Ou$(E-Mail Removed)...
> > > start -> settings -> control panel -> display properties -> settings
> > > could be the refresh rate or the resolution is too high
> > >
> > > "Epetruk" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> > > news:(E-Mail Removed)...

up,
> the

> nothing

> problem -

> the

the

seth

      19th May 2006
try this...
boot in safe mode, open explorer and open the c:\boot.ini file
it's possible the file is read-only; right click the file and go to
properties. uncheck the read-only box if it is checked
open the file, and you'll see a line that starts with multi(0) etc.
select that line and copy it. (edit -> copy)
at the end of the line, press enter and paste (edit -> paste) what you just
copied. you should have 2 identical lines
on the line you just pasted, make 2 changes. where it says in quotes
"windows 2000 professional" insert -VGA so it reads "windows 2000
professional -VGA"
then at the end of the line add (this time without the quotes) /basevideo
/sos
at the very top where it says timeout, make sure the value is at least 30,
that way you have a chance to make a selection
reboot normally, and you should receive a startup menu. select the second
option which says "windows 2000 professional -VGA"
the /basevideo switch tells windows to use the standard vga driver. when you
select it, you will also see the list of drivers being loaded (from the /sos
switch)
this is different from safe mode, so you should have a better chance of
changing your video driver