Problem: Blank display after fiddling with primary/secondary display settings

Rasmus Paetau

      16th Jun 2004
Hello!

I have a rather embarassing problem. I think I somehow managed to disable my
primary display and enable the secondary display in ATI Catalyst control
panel while playing around with the multi monitor settings. Since I don't
actually have more than 1 display, the result is that I no longer see
anything once Windows starts up. Is there some way I can reset the display
settings without installing all drivers from scratch using Windows VGA mode
(accessed by pressing F8 during startup in Windows 2000)?

Thanks in advance,
Rasmus

Ben Pope

      17th Jun 2004
Rasmus Paetau wrote:
> Hello!
>
> I have a rather embarassing problem. I think I somehow managed to disable
> my primary display and enable the secondary display in ATI Catalyst
> control panel while playing around with the multi monitor settings. Since
> I don't actually have more than 1 display, the result is that I no longer
> see anything once Windows starts up. Is there some way I can reset the
> display settings without installing all drivers from scratch using
> Windows VGA mode (accessed by pressing F8 during startup in Windows 2000)?

Why don't you just plug the monitor into the secondary display port and
change it back? You should have had a DVI -> VGA adaptor in the box if
required. Another option might be a TV.

Ben

Bratboy

      17th Jun 2004
What about booting to safemode and changing things back or using, if you
have one, a real recent Sys restore point if nothing else. The other posible
work around is boot to safemode, go to device manger and remove the card.
Reboot and let it reinstall then would be back to basic settings I think.

news:(E-Mail Removed)...